Anyone else experience hungry go away?

Options
Anyone else experience this. Sometimes, usually in the morning I'll be starving, like really hungry but I do not eat till 7:00-7:30 AM. While I wait to eat breakfast that hungry goes away, the really, really strong hungry goes away and it returns to just normal I'm hungry for a normal breakfast feeling. Anyone else have this happen? Its strange but I like it. To me its a sense that I'm doing the right thing physically and mentally.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty normal, for me at least. In fact, I’d say first thing in the morning is the only time I ever am aware of hunger.

I much prefer to wake up feeling very hungry, because that suggests that I can’t have overeaten the previous day. First thing I do is get a cup of black coffee (no sugar), and by the time I’ve drunk that the gnawing hunger has passed and I’m good to go through until a late lunch around 2pm. Generally don’t feel really hungry even then - but you have to eat sometimes!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do intermittent fasting (16:8) and while getting used to the fasting window if I felt hunger my policy was to have a cup of green tea and promise myself that if I still felt hungry 30 minutes later I would have a snack. Almost invariably I had totally forgotten about food within 15 mins or so. It's actually really good to know that these feelings will go away. Cravings will, too. You just have to ride them out, but not for all that long. I think the fear most people have is that the feeling will just keep getting worse until you satisfy it.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have noticed that if I end my previous day with a lot of sugar, like ice cream or soda, then the next morning my stomach tries to tell me it's very hungry. But I've learned it's really not. It's just a chemical reaction to the processing of that sugar.

I have noticed that if I skip a meal, I'll be hungry, but that will go away if I wait it out. I don't skip often, but it helps to now know that hunger from a small meal or a missed meal does not mean anything dire will happen.

As I've lost weight, I've also noticed don't experience the hungry feeling as often as I did before. This has made it easier to maintain.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Yes. I do intermittent fasting (16:8) and while getting used to the fasting window if I felt hunger my policy was to have a cup of green tea and promise myself that if I still felt hungry 30 minutes later I would have a snack. Almost invariably I had totally forgotten about food within 15 mins or so. It's actually really good to know that these feelings will go away. Cravings will, too. You just have to ride them out, but not for all that long. I think the fear most people have is that the feeling will just keep getting worse until you satisfy it.
    Yes. I have noticed that if I end my previous day with a lot of sugar, like ice cream or soda, then the next morning my stomach tries to tell me it's very hungry. But I've learned it's really not. It's just a chemical reaction to the processing of that sugar.

I have noticed that if I skip a meal, I'll be hungry, but that will go away if I wait it out. I don't skip often, but it helps to now know that hunger from a small meal or a missed meal does not mean anything dire will happen.

As I've lost weight, I've also noticed don't experience the hungry feeling as often as I did before. This has made it easier to maintain.

Yes, that is a PERFECT way to describe it. Just ride it out and it will go away.

Also maybe I felt "really hungry" this morning because I had pizza last night. We had Sicilian pizza which is a lot of carbs. Maybe there is a correlation to what you ate the day before? Interesting, thanks guys.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Yes, according to this it has to do with blood glucose levels balancing out: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/453448/why_do_i_get_hungry_and_then_without_eating_it/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I do sometimes notice that I feel very hungry and it goes away. It's mental hunger, I expect, and one reason having a regular eating schedule works for me.

Re hunger first thing in the morning specifically, I used to sometimes feel hunger early in the morning and then wait it out and eat at my normal time (7, I normally get up at 5) or even skip breakfast and it would be fine, but since I decided to eat dinner much earlier (something I am currently trying) that has stopped -- I think sometimes weird digestive stuff in the stomach can be perceived as hunger.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea I've experienced this in the past. Eventually my body gives up on me, even true legitimate hunger (it wasn't positive in my case). So now I usually eat if I'm hungry or not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My brain thinks I'm hungry in the AM, but I'm actually thirsty - once I start drinking tea, the "hunger" goes away.

However, after "nature calls" as my Dad used to say, I am ravenous, and have to be ready to eat as soon as that happens.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    That is opposite of me. I go to bed hungry, like fight the urge to raid the pantry hungry, but when I wake up, I am perfectly fine. I drink some water but it is about 2 hours later when I start feeling hungry.
    I am definitely a night person, I hate mornings... so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It's normal, but I'm not normal, unfortunately. If I'm hungry I stay hungry. If I'm very hungry I stay very hungry. If I allow myself to get to the "I'm starving" kind of hungry I stay hungry for up to 2 hours after eating my next meal regardless of its calories or volume. Liquid intake does nothing for my hunger except that if I drink too much when I'm hungry I feel sloshy on top of feeling hungry.

I don't feel hungry often in the morning. Sometimes I do, but most times the hunger starts around 10-11 which is when I have my breakfast. If I'm hungry earlier I have it earlier.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry sometimes in my sleep or right when waking. I found that antacids helped then. If I'm hungry with headache, light-headed, or shaky, need food asap.
  • crystalbishop5059
    crystalbishop5059 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey Have you had your stomach checked? When I reported lasting hunger after eating to my doc, they did a look-see and found gastritis and duadinal ulcer...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey Have you had your stomach checked? When I reported lasting hunger after eating to my doc, they did a look-see and found gastritis and duadinal ulcer...

I haven't, but I doubt that's it. I think it's more hormonal (I have PCOS). I have no other symptoms and 99% of the time it happens in the second half of my period if I allow myself to get hungry.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm not very hungry when i get up (about 5.30 on work days). I have a cup of tea and water at home, then coffee at work about 8.15. Breakfast is usually about 9.30 ... on home days i just eat when i'm hungry, which can be anything from 8-12. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry the first thing I do is drink water! Sometimes I have a cup of coffee. This usually makes the hunger pains go away. A bigger issue for me is that I wake up with a headache. Anyone experience that? I'm wondering if it has to do with not eating (blood sugar levels) or something else?
  • Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    HUNGRY GO WAY :D
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @mentallyinmaldives , is your avatar in the Maldives? It’s stunning

(Apologizes to OP for tangent)