Loaded Potato Soup - MyFitnessPal Recipe

Options
Cloeee98
Cloeee98 Posts: 1 Member
Has any body made the loaded potato soup from the recipe provided by My Fitness Pal?
The recipe suggests the meal makes 4 serves only & are suppose to be 231 calories per serve.
I am making it as we speak however when creating the meal in the app it tells me 1/4 of the meal (1 serve) is just under 500 calories...
Completely different to the 231 calories per serve the recipe tells you (see attached photos).

Has anyone else had this issue with this recipe of any other recipes provided by MyFitnessPal?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve just tried creating that recipe and I would agree it’s deeply flawed! I’m at 271 cals per serve before I even add in the toppings (cheese, sour cream etc) .

To be honest, I wouldn’t even attempt a recipe that is as imprecise with its weight conversions as that one is!

A few examples: it has 3/4 of a pound converted to 640g and also suggests you could use 740g - there’s a massive calorie range, right there! (The correct conversion of 3/4lb should be around 340g)

Half a medium cauliflower - which it translates as ‘1pound or 295g’?? In whose world is that an accurate conversion!?

I appreciate you’re too far into it to change anything this time, but I’d definitely use a different recipe next time! I know I’ve seen recipes on Pinterest for loaded potato soup that have been lightened up for things like Weight Watchers, Slimmers World etc.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The way I read it, they’re giving you the calories for the soup itself, you still have to add the calories for all the toppings.
    They are counting all the bacon calories as topping, even tho the fat—the high calorie part—is actually in the soup.
    Yes, it doesn’t look very filling for all those calories.

When I make a MFP recipe, (or any recipe from google, etc.) I always put it in the recipe builder first because I know I will change it or eat something else with it, (crackers or cornbread with soup?) to make sure it works out okay.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    It explicitly says that a serving is an amount of soup + cheese + sour cream + 2 tbsp broccoli + 1 tbsp of bacon

THEN it gives the calories per serving (after being so clear on what constitutes a serving) so if it’s intended to be read as you’ve read it (and I initially thought the same thing, btw) it’ has been purposefully written to be deceptive! 🤷‍♀️
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,610 Member
    Options
    It's a **kittened** up job of a recipe. The weights are totally inane and off their rocker. The calories seem to be the same. Whoever wrote the recipe was probably actually worth no more than the pittance they were paid to do the job! I am sorry that it is highly improbable that it will be the calories it claims it will be. On the other hand it does sound as if it will be quite tasty, albeit slightly more caloric. The good news is that a single day of eating above goal is not even going to be a bump on the road... just keep on with your original plan as of tomorrow... and logging the actual stuff you are using correctly... just like you are! In terms of this batch, if you have left overs, increasing the cauliflower or broccoli content, for example, might reduce the caloric content per ml. You could also play with the type and quantities of cheese and sour cream. For example lower fat or less sour cream. Or stronger tasting but smaller quantity of cheese. Or just enjoy as is!