Questions about body fat?

Hey guys,

I already made a thread a week ago? I still have some questions and needed help with the whole burning body fat.
So I’m already at a normal weight (BMI 21)
Never been on the overweight side but i’ve been close to (BMI 25) which is considered overweight.
I’ve always been at a normal weight and so I don’t know if that really helps but so.
At the moment I’m kind of lean maybe?
My face is still chubby and carry very little fat in my belly.
So my questions are
1. How do I find my exact Body Fat percentage?
2. Based on my picture (not sure if it’s enough) what do I need to do to burn the Body Fat?
Like more cardio? Be on a caloric deficit? What macros should I follow?

Right now I do boot camps twice a week (my kind of cardio) sometimes 3x cardio/ week.
And try to lift weights everyday.
I don’t do heavy ones yet as I’m still a beginner.
Like I use dumbells to do lunges squats and some other leg/glute workout,
Use the cable machines to do back.

I go by for example (Monday upper body) (Tuesday lower body) then again (Wednesday upper body) and repeat.

Do biceps/triceps/shoulder maybe once or twice week. Don’t really do those and almost never chest.
Mainly I workout on legs, glutes, back and abs.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• aidayazd95
    aidayazd95 Posts: 46 Member
    Bump
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited February 2020
    aidayazd95 wrote: »
    So my questions are:

1. How do I find my exact Body Fat percentage?

2.. Based on my picture (not sure if it’s enough) what do I need to do to burn the Body Fat? Like more cardio? Be on a caloric deficit? What macros should I follow?

1) DEXA scans and hydrostatic testing are the most accurate methods for measuring BF.

2) In order to lose body fat, it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do.

What matters is that you are burning more cals than you consume. CO >CI, where CO=TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and CI=all cals consumed.

See: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    Your stats are very similar to mine. Im going to keep my eye on this thread. Thank you for posting
  • aidayazd95
    Okey I see.

Thank for the answers so far.

Is it still possible to loose body fat with low impact workouts?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Okey I see.

You are missing the point - it's not your exercise choice that causes you to lose fat.

Are your "low impact workouts" challenging enough to your muscles to force then to adapt and grow?

Bear in mind that women can't typically add muscle fast even with optimal training so you have to consider if your exercise choice is actually appropriate and supporting your goals?
    If not either change your exercise or change your goals because you seem to have a conflict between what you want and what you do.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Okey I see.

Not sure what you mean by low impact workouts. Examples? Walking is a low impact workout but won't help you recomp. And most cardio, while good for overall health, is not really a factor for recomp. Keep doing some, but that is not what is going to help you lean down without getting to an unhealthy underweight position.

The recomp people have recommended to you means eating at maintenance and resistance training, weight lifting, in order to build muscle. This creates an energy demand that will cause your body to use fat stores for. So, you get a lean athletic look by building muscle and reducing body fat.

The key to this is the eating at maintenance and resistance training. Not losing body weight but losing body fat while building muscle. And as a woman, you won't get bulky, just a better body shape.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Let's take a step back -- what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Is it possible that your "problem" is to little muscle rather than to much fat?
  • aidayazd95
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Let's take a step back -- what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Is it possible that your "problem" is to little muscle rather than to much fat?

Get rid of the body fat
    Without having to do intense weight lifting.

I’m already doing boot camps 2x/week so kind of my cardio
  • jjpptt2

Get rid of the body fat

I get that part... but take a step back, what's the bigger goal/reason? Is there a BMI number you want to hit? A certain weight? Do you want to be able to say you're sub 25% BF? Is there a look or aesthetic you're going for?
  • aidayazd95

Get rid of the body fat

I get that part... but take a step back, what's the bigger goal/reason? Is there a BMI number you want to hit? A certain weight? Do you want to be able to say you're sub 25% BF? Is there a look or aesthetic you're going for?

Well yeah, get down to like 15% BF
    And maybe BMI to like 20
    But mainly BF 15% :)
  • jjpptt2

Get rid of the body fat

And maybe BMI to like 20

I doubt you'll be able to do that without significant strength training... especially in any kind of healthy or sustainable manner. 15% is extremely lean and won't likely happen without significant work, consistency and time.

I'd suggest you pick 1 priority... 15% bf or little/no strength training. Decide which is more important to you and then accept what that means relative to your other goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Get rid of the body fat

And maybe BMI to like 20

I doubt most female athletes maintain as low as 15% year round. You'll need to commit to a progressive strength program and strap in for the long haul. That is a long term and difficult goal, for sure. Is there a reason you chose that number?
  • jjpptt2

Get rid of the body fat

And maybe BMI to like 20

I doubt you'll be able to do that without significant strength training... especially in any kind of healthy or sustainable manner. 15% is extremely lean and won't likely happen without significant work, consistency and time.

I'd suggest you pick 1 priority... 15% bf or little/no strength training. Decide which is more important to you and then accept what that means relative to your other goals.

I guess the flip side to all this is that while 15% may not be realistic, you can absolutely continue to improve you numbers.

Make sure your diet is really dialed in... I can't emphasize this enough. Without the proper diet, any workouts you are or aren't doing will be largely insignificant. Once your set on diet, focus on higher intensity workouts. Strength training is recommended for a number of reasons, but that doesn't necessarily mean weight lifting and only weight lifting.
  • aidayazd95
    edited February 2020
    I guess stick to little strength training.

Because I feel little pain in my knees from yesterday’s leg/glutes workout.

I don’t want to hurt my knees.
    But okey maybe not really 15% lol
    But at least down 20% like 19% would be good too.
  • aidayazd95
    kimny72 wrote: »

Get rid of the body fat

And maybe BMI to like 20

I doubt most female athletes maintain as low as 15% year round. You'll need to commit to a progressive strength program and strap in for the long haul. That is a long term and difficult goal, for sure. Is there a reason you chose that number?

The reason why I chose that is because I want to burn the body fat and like I’m already kind of lean but my face is still on the chubbier side 😒
  • aidayazd95

Get rid of the body fat

And maybe BMI to like 20

I guess the flip side to all this is that while 15% may not be realistic, you can absolutely continue to improve you numbers.

Make sure your diet is really dialed in... I can't emphasize this enough. Without the proper diet, any workouts you are or aren't doing will be largely insignificant. Once your set on diet, focus on higher intensity workouts. Strength training is recommended for a number of reasons, but that doesn't necessarily mean weight lifting and only weight lifting.

I eat really clean, try to eat only nutrient dense foods but could be i eat my calories high due to nuts because i eat them a lot.