Sugar Lovers take note The Rats became addicted

Options

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Maybe the results of the study were misinterpreted. The study was actually attempting to prove that cocaine is no worse than simple sugar.
    Sweet, will take that as a pass to have cocaine in my coffee from now on...don't worry tho will switch to decaf.

Nah, man. Stack the stimulants.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Cocaine partay!
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html

A new study by Canadian researchers has found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause reactions similar to those to cocaine
    The study measured rats' reactions to higher and higher levels of high-fructose corn syrup
    The study suggests that high-fructose corn syrup could explain the current obesity epidemic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html#ixzz2cRwZe0uo

Canadian researchers have found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause behavioral reactions in rats 'similar to those produced by drugs of abuse, such as cocaine'.

Professor Francesco Leri of the University of Guelph, who carried out the research, said it suggested there was an addictive quality to foods that contain high levels of high-fructose corn syrup which could explain, at least partly, the current global obesity epidemic.

During the experiment, rats were fed foods containing varying levels of high-fructose corn syrup. They were then given access to a lever which controlled how much syrup they received. The more concentrated the syrup, the harder the rats worked to obtain it.
    Canadian researchers have found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause behavioral reactions in rats 'similar to those produced by drugs of abuse, such as cocaine'.

The new findings are part of a growing field of investigation into the effects of high fructose corn syrup, which has been blamed for everything from the obesity epidemic to diabetes and liver disease.

Research from Princeton University in 2010 found that rats fed on a sugary diet became nervous and anxious when the sugar was removed. They were thrown into a state of anxiety similar to the kind of stress that people feel during withdrawal from drugs like nicotine and even morphine.

Professor Bart Hoebel and his team in the Department of Psychology and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute have been studying signs of sugar addiction in rats for years.

Other Names for High Fructose Corn syrup
    In addition to “corn syrup,” you might find names like these… * Maize syrup * Glucose syrup * Glucose/fructose syrup * Tapioca syrup * Dahlia syrup * Fruit fructose * Crystalline fructose In Canada, they call it “glucose-fructose.” And in Europe, it’s “isoglucose.” And I’m sure there are more. -
    See more at: http://hsionline.com/2013/01/31/spot-high-fructose-corn-syrup/#sthash.FxF4PiEv.dpuf
    Thank you! Someone understands!!! Also: TAPIOCA SYRUP IS HIGH FRUCTOSE, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I read this!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It seems like a personality flaw that you may have.

:laugh:

I believe they call it delusions of grandeur!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but anyone who compares sugar to cocaine has obviously never actually done cocaine.

/thread
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

For anyone wanting to expand their research on HFCS, and other sugars, this is an hour an a half documentary. He gets into how the body processes HFCS in the middle somewhere (haven't watched it in a while).

Enjoy! :)
  • CollieFit
    Options
    How about getting sugar the natural way through fresh fruits .

substitute honey, {a little honey} the body can process it easier.

How about just having any sugar? It all gets processed the same way in the end.

You're so smart! I'm so glad there are MD's that know more then the Mayo Clnic on here! The fact is we don't know how our bodies process HFCS, but too much of any processed sugar is not good for you.

And sugar is addicting. I know it. And anyone with kids knows it too. Go eat a poptart.

Don't waste your breath. There is little point trying to have an intelligent conversation with him. Richie (as f "ask me anything" thread - now deleted I believe...) isn't qualified in anything, but likes to pipe up everywhere since he's been doing a bit of reading on Google, which now qualifies him to dismiss research and opinions of people much brighter than him.

People much brighter than me? It's funny how the overweight middle aged people of this forum are the only ones who disagree with me isn't it hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Keep battling the obesity fight for the next 20 years of your life, like you have done for the previous 20.

Oh dear. You've really let yourself down there...

Looks like your interpersonal skills haven't really improved much since people previously questioned you about your credentials.

Have you got liability insurance yet Mr "Online Coach"?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

You're so smart! I'm so glad there are MD's that know more then the Mayo Clnic on here! The fact is we don't know how our bodies process HFCS, but too much of any processed sugar is not good for you.

And sugar is addicting. I know it. And anyone with kids knows it too. Go eat a poptart.

Don't waste your breath. There is little point trying to have an intelligent conversation with him. Richie (as f "ask me anything" thread - now deleted I believe...) isn't qualified in anything, but likes to pipe up everywhere since he's been doing a bit of reading on Google, which now qualifies him to dismiss research and opinions of people much brighter than him.

People much brighter than me? It's funny how the overweight middle aged people of this forum are the only ones who disagree with me isn't it hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Keep battling the obesity fight for the next 20 years of your life, like you have done for the previous 20.

Looks like your interpersonal skills haven't really improved much since people previously questioned you about your credentials.

Hit a nerve haven't I :-)))))

I've never claimed to have qualifications, but I certainly know what I'm talking about.

<--- Fell out of a tree looking like this.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

black-kid-oh-snap.gif
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I like that .gif!
  • CollieFit
    Options

I've never claimed to have qualifications, but I certainly know what I'm talking about.

You haven't hit any nerves as I am neither obese currently, nor have I been for the last 20 years.

If I had however, as some potential "clients" of yours may have been, then I pity them for ever coming into any professional contact with you, because you are nothing but a pompous little underachiever with an ego that's most probably far bigger than the rest of you.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This has obviously become fight club...
    TO165nB.gif
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

You haven't hit any nerves as I am neither obese currently, nor have I been for the last 20 years.

If I had however, as some potential "clients" of yours may have been, then I pity them for ever coming into any professional contact with you, because you are nothing but a pompous little underachiever with an ego that's most probably far bigger than the rest of you.

100% client success rate, never had a complaint. Helped over 200 people on this forum for free, none of them have come back to me with anything other than nice compliments of how I have helped them.

Sorry that I'm removing the excuses from peoples lives about things like starvation mode, sugars, carbs - it's not reason people are overweight, the human themselves are.

Stop crying about it now please.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Ritch weighs 20 pounds less than me and he's got a good 15 pounds of muscle more than me. Yeah.. underachiever.
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I knew it! It's all part of the conspiracy to keep us fat!

I agree with her! And I am a complete sugar junky. Yes, hello my name is Mel and I am addicted to sugar in all forms.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, Daily Mail ... So, sugar-coated immigrants must = Armageddon then?

To those that have cited The Sun as a better source of news, at least The Sun knew it was no better than chip-paper, The Daily Mail is a shocking waste of potential bog roll.

As for the nutritional 'science' behind this Shock Horror study ... Meh ...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ritch weighs 20 pounds less than me and he's got a good 15 pounds of muscle more than me. Yeah.. underachiever.

I was thinking the same thing. Somehow I don't think "underachiever" was the insult she was looking for.

Look, this really is a foolish argument. It's not worth either of your energy trying to think of ways to insult each other, and neither is going to be swayed from the other's beliefs.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This has obviously become fight club...
    TO165nB.gif
    First rule of Fight Club......uh...nevermind!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Somehow I don't think "underachiever" was the insult she was looking for.

Look, this really is a foolish argument. It's not worth either of your energy trying to think of ways to insult each other, and neither is going to be swayed from the other's beliefs.
    But I'm getting lol's from it, will reenact in gif form to keep people updated...

9RDnTrR.gif
  • CollieFit
    Options

Excuse me but so what?

This isn't about the fact that he's lost a bit of weight and gained some muscle... not an unusual story on this forum. It's about him constantly dressing himself up as some kind of health and fitness guru without as much as the smallest piece of paper to his name whilst constantly putting down qualified trainers, qualified nutritionists, researchers, on the basis of ripping off having read Lean Gains.

It's also about the fact that he constantly puts people down, belittles opinion, from his little pedestal of exactly what??
This discussion has been closed.