CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    "you're middle aged"
    "you wouldn't understand - you're old"

Is that really the best you can string together? :huh:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I take nothing from society so why does it matter? I don't claim benefits and I get on with my own life - I can see you're not truly happy with yours though despite what you say hehe.

You don't? So you never use health services? Public transport? No pavements, street lights, refuse collection or emergency services where you live? You never went to school to enjoy the 'free' education? Never been to the council gym or pool? I'm guessing that you can't answer 'NO' to all those questions ergo you do take from society and you're giving nothing back in the form of taxes to pay for any of that stuff as you don't fancy working.

You're the kind of person who thinks the news is truthful and believes it, you're the kind of person who would blame immigrants for something, you're the kind of person who is just like almost every other sheep in the United Kingdom.

No, I'm the kind of person who's fed up to the back teeth of the minority of young people in the UK who sit on their backsides, not working, not contributing a damn thing to society and yet seem to be bristling with misplaced arrogance. When you actually have to pay your way in life you'll probably get a bit fed up of people like you too.

Now I can't knock your weight loss/fitness but I certainly can knock the rest of your existence and I'm doing so because time after time in thread after thread I've seen you be unpleasant, ridiculing and arrogant to others....so I'm just here to point out that outside of this little MFP pond, you're more of a tadpole floundering in a rapidly drying side pool than a big fish :wink:

I don't use public transport, can't even remember the last time I used a health service.

Pavements don't have to be there, that is just LAND that someone decided to put some concrete, it belongs to no-one, stop being so pathetic. I have my own gym, I don't go swimming.

It just shows for a start you don't understand the "minority" of young people, and you're just so blind to the world. Perhaps you should take a look at our "leaders" instead, and the destruction they are causing to our country and others. I don't even expect you to even begin to understand, you're old.

Good grief, I feel like I just accidentally stepped in a pile of a Fox News comment board with this one. GAH! How did talking about sugar turn into "you're a no-good lazy useless bum!"

Anyways
    I'm off to eat a butterscotch pudding and find some HFCS Twinkies for later
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I take nothing from society so why does it matter? I don't claim benefits and I get on with my own life - I can see you're not truly happy with yours though despite what you say hehe.

You don't? So you never use health services? Public transport? No pavements, street lights, refuse collection or emergency services where you live? You never went to school to enjoy the 'free' education? Never been to the council gym or pool? I'm guessing that you can't answer 'NO' to all those questions ergo you do take from society and you're giving nothing back in the form of taxes to pay for any of that stuff as you don't fancy working.

You're the kind of person who thinks the news is truthful and believes it, you're the kind of person who would blame immigrants for something, you're the kind of person who is just like almost every other sheep in the United Kingdom.

No, I'm the kind of person who's fed up to the back teeth of the minority of young people in the UK who sit on their backsides, not working, not contributing a damn thing to society and yet seem to be bristling with misplaced arrogance. When you actually have to pay your way in life you'll probably get a bit fed up of people like you too.

Now I can't knock your weight loss/fitness but I certainly can knock the rest of your existence and I'm doing so because time after time in thread after thread I've seen you be unpleasant, ridiculing and arrogant to others....so I'm just here to point out that outside of this little MFP pond, you're more of a tadpole floundering in a rapidly drying side pool than a big fish :wink:

As a 24 year old with a job, family, and stock portfolio, I am confident in saying that Ritch contributes more to society than 90% of the 24 year olds I know.
    What do you contribute to society?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Just because my 4 old would sell his soul for a handful of Skittles and a half a Snickers bar doesn’t mean that sugar is addictive.

I’m sure there is no absolutely no correlation between the staggering rise in obesity, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes and the fact that Americans went from consuming about 9gs of sugar per day in the 19th century to consuming 155gs per day in 2012.

Correlation is not causation soooooooooo.
    Come back with science

For centuries people used the same logic to argue against the danger of tobacco.

And then they came back with science.

Yes, they came "back with science", which indeed proved a correlation between tobacco and lung disease. It is amazing when scientific proof catches up with common sense.

There's a lot of "common sense" that has been proven scientifically inaccurate. It can be very dangerous to assume causation from correlation.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Food is addictive. Don't know about you guys, but I can't live without...

Had someone who works in a hospital recently tell me that they overheard a patient refusing oxygen because they'd heard that if you use it too much, you can get hooked on it. No joke.

To their credit....they're right, going very long without oxygen makes me nuts. Why, oh why didn't I make better choices earlier on?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Food is addictive. Don't know about you guys, but I can't live without...

Had someone who works in a hospital recently tell me that they overheard a patient refusing oxygen because they'd heard that if you use it too much, you can get hooked on it. No joke.

To their credit....they're right, going very long without oxygen makes me nuts. Why, oh why didn't I make better choices earlier on?

I pass out if I don't get my oxygen fix.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Just because my 4 old would sell his soul for a handful of Skittles and a half a Snickers bar doesn’t mean that sugar is addictive.

I’m sure there is no absolutely no correlation between the staggering rise in obesity, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes and the fact that Americans went from consuming about 9gs of sugar per day in the 19th century to consuming 155gs per day in 2012.

Come back with science

For centuries people used the same logic to argue against the danger of tobacco.

Yes, they came "back with science", which indeed proved a correlation between tobacco and lung disease. It is amazing when scientific proof catches up with common sense.

There's a lot of "common sense" that has been proven scientifically inaccurate. It can be very dangerous to assume causation from correlation.

I'm not sure how reducing refined sugar from your diet could be "very dangerous", help me out with that one
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Awww!! I love the smell of MFP snarkiness in the morning...

Now I want to go get a soda or a cookie or something...
  • scottaworley
    Options

Come back with science

I'm not sure how reducing refined sugar from your diet could be "very dangerous", help me out with that one

My dangerous comment was made as more of a broad philosophical statement. It's probably not harmful to reduce or eliminate sugar from one's diet, but it is not shown to have any benefits in healthy individuals either. Any scare tactic to get people to stop eating a certain type of food I am against.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Come back with science

My dangerous comment was made as more of a broad philosophical statement. It's probably not harmful to reduce or eliminate sugar from one's diet, but it is not shown to have any benefits in healthy individuals either. Any scare tactic to get people to stop eating a certain type of food I am against.

Making somebody vomit after ingesting a toxin can be seen as common sense. Except it's not. http://life.familyeducation.com/first-aid/poisons/48282.html

I'm pretty sure that sugar isn't the only thing we're ingesting more of to get fatter.
  • Rollersaurus1
    Rollersaurus1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LIKE TAQUITOS!!!!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

I guess the posting of a study could be considered a scare tactic, albeit a mild one.

There are far too many people claiming “I eat ______ and it hasn’t harmed my health, so therefore everyone should eat ________ because it is obviously safe.” (I haven’t seen that from you, but from too many others). That may be the worst rationale I’ve ever heard for doing something!

There are nearly 700k users on MFP, and while there are is a certain population that are here to share their half-naked / shaved chest selfies and hone their high level of fitness, a lot are desperate to reverse years of bad nutrition and fitness habits. Reducing their sugar intake would probably be helpful in that endeavor.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I guess the posting of a study could be considered a scare tactic, albeit a mild one.

There are far too many people claiming “I eat ______ and it hasn’t harmed my health, so therefore everyone should eat ________ because it is obviously safe.” (I haven’t seen that from you, but from too many others). That may be the worst rationale I’ve ever heard for doing something!

There are nearly 700k users on MFP, and while there are is a certain population that are here to share their half-naked / shaved chest selfies and hone their high level of fitness, a lot are desperate to reverse years of bad nutrition and fitness habits. Reducing their sugar intake would probably be helpful in that endeavor.

A lot of the half-naked selfie people have lost 100+ pounds. What many of them have learned is that reducing their everything-intake is what is helpful.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    A lot of the half-naked selfie people have lost 100+ pounds. What many of them have learned is that reducing their everything-intake is what is helpful.

We should be focusing on quantity AND quality, not just quantity. Of course you need to control your caloric intake to lose weight, but it should also be a priority to eat more healthily (if you strive to measure your fitness by more than just the numbers on a scale). I don't see a big role for refined sugar in a healthy diet.
  • likitisplit
    Options

We should be focusing on quantity AND quality, not just quantity. Of course you need to control your caloric intake to lose weight, but it should also be a priority to eat more healthily (if you strive to measure your fitness by more than just the numbers on a scale). I don't see a big role for refined sugar in a healthy diet.

I don't see that comparing it to cocaine will lead to a healthy diet either.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The Rat Study can be found on Science Daily for those who find the Daily Mail not a reliable source also found on Science Daily are innumerable articles concerning sugar.

Here are a few:
    This article comes from Science Daily and at the bottom is a list and link of other Science Daily Articles regarding sugar.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130813111722.htm

When mice ate a diet of 25 percent extra sugar -- the mouse equivalent of a healthy human diet plus three cans of soda daily -- females died at twice the normal rate and males were a quarter less likely to hold territory and reproduce, according to a toxicity test developed at the University of Utah.

Our results provide evidence that added sugar consumed at concentrations currently considered safe exerts dramatic adverse impacts on mammalian health," the researchers say in a study set for online publication Tuesday, Aug. 13 in the journal Nature Communications.

"This demonstrates the adverse effects of added sugars at human-relevant levels," says University of Utah biology professor Wayne Potts, the study's senior author. He says previous studies using other tests fed mice large doses of sugar disproportionate to the amount people

Other Science Daily Articles
    Moms' High-Fat, Sugary Diets May Lead to Heavy Offspring With a Taste for Alcohol, Sensitivity to Drugs
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130804080952.htm

Higher Blood Sugar Associated with Dementia
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130807204835.htm

Societal Control of Sugar Essential to Ease Public Health Burden, Experts Urge
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120201135312.htm

Foods being marketed to children in UK supermarkets are less healthy than those marketed to the general population according to researchers at the University of Hertfordshire, who question whether more guidelines may be needed in regulating food marketed to children
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507134457.htm

New Risk Factors for Bowel Cancer
    July 15, 2013 — Fizzy drinks, cakes, biscuits, chips and desserts have all been identified as risk factors for bowel cancer, according to new research

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130715105427.htm

Aug. 6, 2009 — Overconsumption of fatty, sugary foods leads to changes in brain receptors, according to new animal research at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The new research results are being presented at the 2009 annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB). The results have implications for understanding bulimia and other binge eating disorders.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090727102024.htm

High Sugar Intake Linked to Low Dopamine Release in Insulin Resistant Patients
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130610223722.htm
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The Rat Study can be found on Science Daily for those who find the Daily Mail not a reliable source also found on Science Daily are innumerable articles concerning sugar.

Here are a few:
    This article comes from Science Daily and at the bottom is a list and link of other Science Daily Articles regarding sugar.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130813111722.htm

When mice ate a diet of 25 percent extra sugar -- the mouse equivalent of a healthy human diet plus three cans of soda daily -- females died at twice the normal rate and males were a quarter less likely to hold territory and reproduce, according to a toxicity test developed at the University of Utah.

Our results provide evidence that added sugar consumed at concentrations currently considered safe exerts dramatic adverse impacts on mammalian health," the researchers say in a study set for online publication Tuesday, Aug. 13 in the journal Nature Communications.

"This demonstrates the adverse effects of added sugars at human-relevant levels," says University of Utah biology professor Wayne Potts, the study's senior author. He says previous studies using other tests fed mice large doses of sugar disproportionate to the amount people

Other Science Daily Articles
    Moms' High-Fat, Sugary Diets May Lead to Heavy Offspring With a Taste for Alcohol, Sensitivity to Drugs
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130804080952.htm

Higher Blood Sugar Associated with Dementia
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130807204835.htm

Societal Control of Sugar Essential to Ease Public Health Burden, Experts Urge
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120201135312.htm

Foods being marketed to children in UK supermarkets are less healthy than those marketed to the general population according to researchers at the University of Hertfordshire, who question whether more guidelines may be needed in regulating food marketed to children
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507134457.htm

New Risk Factors for Bowel Cancer
    July 15, 2013 — Fizzy drinks, cakes, biscuits, chips and desserts have all been identified as risk factors for bowel cancer, according to new research

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130715105427.htm

Aug. 6, 2009 — Overconsumption of fatty, sugary foods leads to changes in brain receptors, according to new animal research at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The new research results are being presented at the 2009 annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB). The results have implications for understanding bulimia and other binge eating disorders.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090727102024.htm

High Sugar Intake Linked to Low Dopamine Release in Insulin Resistant Patients
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130610223722.htm

http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2013/08/14/death-by-sugar/
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    So whilst this ridiculous topic carried on, my addiction to sugar was too much to handle, had to run to the shops and purchase all this sugar.. :)))

np5mPcA.jpg

7k5ZeEC.jpg
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This the dumbest thread I ever painstakingly read through. Y'all sound like squabbling toddlers.

:drinker:
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    So whilst this ridiculous topic carried on, my addiction to sugar was too much to handle, had to run to the shops and purchase all this sugar.. :)))

np5mPcA.jpg

7k5ZeEC.jpg

I love ice cream.

I love chocolate.

But that doesn't even look appetizing. (In fact the second photo could put me off of both it's so UNappealing in appearance. It looks gross. What in the heck is that combo anyway?)

Seek food photographer for more appealing photo.
This discussion has been closed.