Toning butt?

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited February 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok random and weird. so I'm losing lots of weight on my butt and thighs but my butt is literally flat now. I'm doing lots of squats, lunges and even added weights recently. Any tips on how to not lose so much butt I would like some butt lol should I stop the squats?

Replies

• FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The butt is both muscle and fat. While you can't spot maintain/reduce fat, you can help retain the glutes as you lose (provided you have a sufficient muscle base there)

Make sure you are lifting/resistance training.. following a progressive program with focus on the glutes (Strong Curves us a good one), also getting adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goal weight or lean body mass if you know) and don't lose too aggressively.

If you are close to goal and not happy with them I would think about transitioning to maintenance to recomp and build muscle and lose fat. If you still have lots of weight to lose then get to a healthy weight then recomp. If you are ultra lean or very low weight you can gain weight to build muscle to grow them.

Thanks very helpful
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ Scratching my head on why a flat butt is a negative thing...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fall vs round butt = Mainly genetics.

I've got a flat one and no exercise I ever did snything 2 chg it except 2 make it stronger.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options

It’s a bad thing if yr goal is a peachy rounded butt. Which mine is!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

For OP it is... 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

When there isn't a lot of muscle they tend to look more flat than rounded. Aesthetics aside, strong muscular glutes are important for many daily activities and exercise. They also help support knees, hips, back and spine and become more important as we age.

Bold for emphasis. It would also be worth looking into a program that is structured around glute development. StrongCurves is one of the most popular. But diet should be there too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we can't designate where we want to lose fat. My buttocks has also gone flat (and the first place I lose from is the chest). I am focusing on putting on lean muscle and hoping for the best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Ok random and weird. so I'm losing lots of weight on my butt and thighs but my butt is literally flat now. I'm doing lots of squats, lunges and even added weights recently. Any tips on how to not lose so much butt I would like some butt lol should I stop the squats?

Don't stop the squats but do eat more.

Like you were told on your other thread, when you lose weight too fast, you lose muscle in addition to fat. Your glutes are muscles. To preserve muscle, you need to lose weight less aggressively. I know you are in a hurry to lose that last 11 pounds, but muscle loss is a consequence of losing too fast.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, but what is the point in looking for advice when you don't want to actually take any of our advice? When you lose weight too fast on too little calories, you are going to lose some of your muscle... So... eat more, and strength train.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

When there isn't a lot of muscle they tend to look more flat than rounded. Aesthetics aside, strong muscular glutes are important for many daily activities and exercise. They also help support knees, hips, back and spine and become more important as we age.

Maybe we are talking about different things. I've known people who do sports, dance, yoga, and/or strength train and have what I would call a flat butt. Surely they all have adequate glute muscles. I figured it's mostly genetics.

As far as aesthetics go, perhaps I'm the only person in the world who thinks a flat butt looks better than a round one. Certainly the numerous disagrees on my original post would suggest that.

To each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

Maybe we are talking about different things. I've known people who do sports, dance, yoga, and/or strength train and have what I would call a flat butt. Surely they all have adequate glute muscles. I figured it's mostly genetics.

As far as aesthetics go, perhaps I'm the only person in the world who thinks a flat butt looks better than a round one. Certainly the numerous disagrees on my original post would suggest that.

To each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

... not sure how you are defining "flat". I know a lot of people prefer a smaller butt to what is on display with a lot of celebrities, and a smaller more muscular athletic physique is going to have much smaller rear than what you see on them. However, actually FLAT pancake butts I've never heard of being attractive - but as you say, it's certainly an "eye of the beholder" thing. ;)