Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    In my understanding, Sijomial is right: True max heart rate is mostly fixed in an individual, and genetic. It varies quite widely among superficially similar people (i.e., the age based estimating formulas are inaccurate for many people, sometimes very inaccurate). It tends, in individuals, to decline with age. I've read that it declines more slowly in individuals who continue to train.

I have a tested HR max, around 180. At age 64, age formulas would estimate lower, low as 156. Working up very near and to HRmax (180) in workouts is punitively exhausting, and I can't stay there more than briefly - literally can't, body underperforms.

But I'm 'only' a rower, not a cyclist. Oversimplifying slightly, when racing (I don't, anymore), we train for working as near maximum output (and so HR) as we can sustain for race length (from 5 minutes-ish to 20-minutes-ish, usually 5-10 depending on age group, race length, etc.).

I also think that what you're observing in yourself is increasing fitness, in the form of being able to reach higher output (at X heart rate, when it used to require X+Y heart rate) and sustain higher output for longer time periods, which is good stuff.

For what it's worth, my average HR on an erg is always significantly higher than on a bike when the RPE is the similar. That's with using a chest HR strap because the wrist based one suck for both rowing and cycling (outside) in terms of accuracy ;)

I've read some things suggesting that as a practical matter, HRmax is activity-specific. I haven't delved into it enough to really understand what that means, whether it's true, and what the implications would be.

I have trouble getting my heart rate as high during spin class (ever) as I can easily get it on a rowing machine. I assumed that had something to do with engaging more body parts, so needing more oxygen delivery, but I have no idea, really (and don't much care, except casual curiosity).

I don't have a clear opinion about my RPE in that context, because after a certain point (when actively trying to drive HR up) I'm intentionally paying as little attention as I can manage to how I feel, because it mostly isn't delightful, in the moment. The exhilaration I mentioned is mostly an after-effect.

Interesting, but I think not really terribly relevant for OP, at least at this point. JMO.

I've read the same - the same is true (logically) for Vo2Max. Mind you I haven't felt the need to have mine tested.

I know that Nordic skiers get all the highest scores on that test, and that it's a sport that uses more % of your muscle mass than cycling or even running. So it's always made sense to me it's about oxygen demand.

I'd think rowers must do very well on VO2max tests too.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    What I’ve been trying to do is ride for 20 mins as hard as I can controlling my breathing. Maybe it’s getting higher each time as I am not stopping to catch my breath plus my sprint muscles are stronger so I can push nearer my max as you said. Interesting 😁

I would be fascinated to find out what my actual max is, even if only for curiosity! Isn’t it flexible though? My heart is stronger and can push itself harder with training it’s own muscle? It’s susposed to be going down according to all the blurb but mine isn’t 😂 Maybe I have a freak heart ...,

Riding for 20 minutes as hard as you can with controlled breathing is neither sprinting nor working anywhere near your max HR.

As the others have mentioned, max HR is, we believe, fixed ... although it may decline with age.

I'm in my early 50s ... in my early 30s my max HR was 194 ... now, based on my recent Zwift race, I would guess that my max HR is somewhere in the mid-to-high-180s.

If you want to get an idea of what your max HR is, find a hill of about 1 km in length. Do a warm up, riding up and down the hill casually. Then go up that hill as hard as you can until you feel you can hardly get air in, your legs are screaming, and your vision goes a bit blurry. There's nothing controlled about it and it hurts.

Check your HR and also monitor how long it takes to for it to return to about 120 or so. Ride casually for a bit, cool down ... and give it another go.

Bring a friend with you, just in case.

What are your goals with regard to cycling?
    What I’ve been trying to do is ride for 20 mins as hard as I can controlling my breathing. Maybe it’s getting higher each time as I am not stopping to catch my breath plus my sprint muscles are stronger so I can push nearer my max as you said. Interesting 😁

I would be fascinated to find out what my actual max is, even if only for curiosity! Isn’t it flexible though? My heart is stronger and can push itself harder with training it’s own muscle? It’s susposed to be going down according to all the blurb but mine isn’t 😂 Maybe I have a freak heart ...,

Riding for 20 minutes as hard as you can with controlled breathing is neither sprinting nor working anywhere near your max HR.

As the others have mentioned, max HR is, we believe, fixed ... although it may decline with age.

I'm in my early 50s ... in my early 30s my max HR was 194 ... now, based on my recent Zwift race, I would guess that my max HR is somewhere in the mid-to-high-180s.

If you want to get an idea of what your max HR is, find a hill of about 1 km in length. Do a warm up, riding up and down the hill casually. Then go up that hill as hard as you can until you feel you can hardly get air in, your legs are screaming, and your vision goes a bit blurry. There's nothing controlled about it and it hurts.

Check your HR and also monitor how long it takes to for it to return to about 120 or so. Ride casually for a bit, cool down ... and give it another go.

I ride climbs already with a fully loaded bike, panniers and a trailer. I have ridden to the point of nausea (not fun) but bizarrely my HR didn’t reach as high as on the stationary bike.

I don’t think I have the full picture, I ride at a really high resistance (like climbing), am already warmed up and by control I mean concentrating on breath rhythm. I do look like a tomato and dripping in sweat, with my chest heaving. I know it hurts I do it! When I said earlier I felt no pain it was humour 😁

My goal is to get the imperial century. It’s difficult with the bike I ride but I’m hoping the extra bursts of power I’ve been doing will help. That and LEJOG I’m 2022.

Ps traditional training programs don’t work for me as I have epilepsy and have to be in control, hence breath control practices 😀
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nice ambitions!

Just some resources you might find useful or just interesting......
    British Heart Foundation have some good training plans (not how to ride/train each session, just a distance framework) to get you to a Century.
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/training-zone/cycling-training-zone/cycling-training-schedule

Riding a Century is hard, doing it on an inappropriate bike is prolonged evil of the first order (my first was on a hybrid I named "Boneshaker" as it is so uncomfortable). So much more enjoyable/less of a trial on a road bike.

The Audax UK club might be of interest to you as they organise long distance events of different distances all over the country and they really are brilliant ways to explore new areas and very friendly. The food tends to be epic too.
    http://www.aukweb.net/home/

Strava is great for tracking your progress and there's a Strava weekly challenge for MyFitnessPal members.
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFPChallenge

Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

I ride climbs already with a fully loaded bike, panniers and a trailer. I have ridden to the point of nausea (not fun) but bizarrely my HR didn’t reach as high as on the stationary bike.

I don’t think I have the full picture, I ride at a really high resistance (like climbing), am already warmed up and by control I mean concentrating on breath rhythm. I do look like a tomato and dripping in sweat, with my chest heaving. I know it hurts I do it! When I said earlier I felt no pain it was humour 😁

My goal is to get the imperial century. It’s difficult with the bike I ride but I’m hoping the extra bursts of power I’ve been doing will help. That and LEJOG I’m 2022.

Ps traditional training programs don’t work for me as I have epilepsy and have to be in control, hence breath control practices 😀

If your goal is to cycle a century, then you need to include increasingly long rides in your routine each week. The short, hard efforts are good, but they won't get you to a century.

A suggested schedule might look something like:

Monday -- rest, walk, yoga
    Tuesday -- short, hard effort
    Wednesday -- medium length ride at a century pace or slightly faster
    Thursday -- hill repeats or a short, hard effort
    Friday -- rest, walk, yoga
    Saturday -- long steady distance
    Sunday -- long (but not as long as Saturday) at a more recovery pace

Centuries (and longer) are my thing. :grin:
  • vivo1972
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nice ambitions!

British Heart Foundation have some good training plans (not how to ride/train each session, just a distance framework) to get you to a Century.
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/training-zone/cycling-training-zone/cycling-training-schedule

Riding a Century is hard, doing it on an inappropriate bike is prolonged evil of the first order (my first was on a hybrid I named "Boneshaker" as it is so uncomfortable). So much more enjoyable/less of a trial on a road bike.

The Audax UK club might be of interest to you as they organise long distance events of different distances all over the country and they really are brilliant ways to explore new areas and very friendly. The food tends to be epic too.

Strava is great for tracking your progress and there's a Strava weekly challenge for MyFitnessPal members.

That's great ty very much. A masochistic century on a hybrid? Gawd. At least I get to lie back ;) I've only ridden a road bike once and it felt like an unruly colt!!

I've heard of Audax.... I've always been a bit shy of them as I thought they were 100 plus endurance riders but I'll have a look now thanks :)
  • vivo1972
    edited February 2020
    Options

If your goal is to cycle a century, then you need to include increasingly long rides in your routine each week. The short, hard efforts are good, but they won't get you to a century.

A suggested schedule might look something like:

Monday -- rest, walk, yoga
    Tuesday -- short, hard effort
    Wednesday -- medium length ride at a century pace or slightly faster
    Thursday -- hill repeats or a short, hard effort
    Friday -- rest, walk, yoga
    Saturday -- long steady distance
    Sunday -- long (but not as long as Saturday) at a more recovery pace

Centuries (and longer) are my thing. :grin:

Hiya.

Thanks. I rode 100K at a sportive (with my tadpole pulling a trailer with a dog in it! Never again lol) but have yet to reach the magic imperial. I think lot of it for me is my bike is just so ruddy heavy!

What would you call a century pace for me on the tadpole? My last 100K was 10mph and my limit is about 13mph at a steady pace - unless it's downhill then the Beast is like a steam train ;) The bike that is, not me.

I really,really don't want to ride LEJOG on a two wheeler. I'm much safer on a three wheeler, plus it's just an awesome machine.

Thanks for the week thing, I'll try and do two rides at the w/e instead of just one. I think it's that I'm just a bit wary as it's outside and I'm very aware of blood sugar/seizures and recovery. Group rides and the stationary bike I'm safe and I'm more confident because I have asistance if need be. I think I'll do one one my tadpole and one on the hybrid to increase my confidence about range/sugars/different muscle useage.

Thankyou :)

• Machka9
    Options
    Nice ambitions!

That's great ty very much. A masochistic century on a hybrid? Gawd. At least I get to lie back ;) I've only ridden a road bike once and it felt like an unruly colt!!

I've heard of Audax.... I've always been a bit shy of them as I thought they were 100 plus endurance riders but I'll have a look now thanks :)

Well ... they are. :)

We are. :)

I've been involved in Audax/Randonneuring since 2001 and have cycled 190 imperial centuries or longer events. :grin:

But there are often some shorter distances. Over here in Australia, we have a few 50 km and 100 km events as well as the longer distances.

What would you call a century pace for me on the tadpole? My last 100K was 10mph and my limit is about 13mph at a steady pace - unless it's downhill then the Beast is like a steam train ;) The bike that is, not me.

I really,really don't want to ride LEJOG on a two wheeler. I'm much safer on a three wheeler, plus it's just an awesome machine.

Thanks for the week thing, I'll try and do two rides at the w/e instead of just one. I think it's that I'm just a bit wary as it's outside and I'm very aware of blood sugar/seizures and recovery. Group rides and the stationary bike I'm safe and I'm more confident because I have asistance if need be. I think I'll do one one my tadpole and one on the hybrid to increase my confidence about range/sugars/different muscle useage.

Thankyou :)

If this is something that interests you, the answer regarding speed is at least 15 km/h (that's the minimum speed in Audax/Randonneuring) and at most whatever the speed is that you can keep up for at least 3 or 4 hours.

So, in the imperial system 10 mph - 13 mph is all right.

And yes, if you want to ride longer distance events, you've got to ride more than once a week. :)
  • vivo1972
    Options
    Machka9 I ride 3-4 times a week depending on the weather. I think you misunderstand the 20 min push is on top of what I do :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 I ride 3-4 times a week depending on the weather. I think you misunderstand the 20 min push is on top of what I do :)

:+1:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I stuck with hybrids for a long time (got a better replacement for The Boneshaker) but before a very challenging ride when I wasn't in the best shape and riding with an exceptional long distance rider I got persuaded to try a road bike. Really only took 50 mile to acclimatise (even with my dodgy back!) and they are so superior for distance work.

Just in speed terms your 10mph average on your tadpole means six hours for a metric century. 15mph average on a road bike would bring that down to 4hrs. The added benefit is that you can ride with people too, more social as well as faster.

I do see a few trikes on some Audax events but they tend to be the fast variety. People use all sorts of unsuitable bikes for a challenge from Bromptons to MTBs on road tyres (me!) to high geared TT bikes on hilly courses but it is making a hard task harder.
  • vivo1972
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I stuck with hybrids for a long time (got a better replacement for The Boneshaker) but before a very challenging ride when I wasn't in the best shape and riding with an exceptional long distance rider I got persuaded to try a road bike. Really only took 50 mile to acclimatise (even with my dodgy back!) and they are so superior for distance work.

Just in speed terms your 10mph average on your tadpole means six hours for a metric century. 15mph average on a road bike would bring that down to 4hrs. The added benefit is that you can ride with people too, more social as well as faster.

I do see a few trikes on some Audax events but they tend to be the fast variety. People use all sorts of unsuitable bikes for a challenge from Bromptons to MTBs on road tyres (me!) to high geared TT bikes on hilly courses but it is making a hard task harder.

Six to four hours in massive. Without sounding arrogant my tadpole is the nuts but not the very fastest in the range (it's an ICE Sprint for touring). I get what you are saying but my balance is awful (epilepsy)- I can just about ride a two wheeler but not a road bike. I'm getting a new hybrid gravel bike to keep up with my roadie mates for socials and cake (it's a flat bar and sturdier than a road bike) ......But for touring/distance nah - the Beast floats my boat ;)

I'm gonna train this summer on both types, but minus the trailer and the dog! It'll be interesting to see how much faster I can get.

PS if you have the opportunity to ride a decent tadpole downhill do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21rqTgzJqL4

Thankyou!

• chuckbernard54
    chuckbernard54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had an artificial heart valve for 30 years in March. My cardiologist told me to shoot for 120-121 bpm. I am envious of everyone who can go so high in bpm!
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Improving resting HR is the measure of fitness.

Increasing HR is not a sign of fitness and studies conclude that being close to max heart rate for long periods of time is more detrimental than beneficial.

That's interesting: Do you have a link to one of those studies?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC99308/
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Conclusion:
    Exercising in a mild to moderate HR ranges is associated better fitness and fewer cardiac events.

Exercising above HR targets or age predicted MHR for extended periods of time is associated with poor HR recovery and increased risk of a cardiac events.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,057 Member
    Options
    Improving resting HR is the measure of fitness.

Increasing HR is not a sign of fitness and studies conclude that being close to max heart rate for long periods of time is more detrimental than beneficial.

That's interesting: Do you have a link to one of those studies?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC99308/

It seems to me as if that study is saying that recreational athletes – in this case hockey players – frequently exercise at an intensity that’s beyond the safe point for their current level of fitness/conditioning, not saying that intensity per se is always a foolishly risky thing.

That’s consistent with advice one frequently sees around here from experienced endurance athletes, saying that it’s risky for beginners to do high-intensity exercise such as HIIT, prior to developing a good cardiovascular fitness base. (Just doing intense exercise is not the best way to condition oneself to do such exercise more safely.)

In the study linked, they holter-monitor recreational hockey players, screening out any with known cardiovascular issues (they find a couple during the study who had such issues, but didn’t realize it). The holter monitor data shows participants' heart rate during the hockey games.

Their sample includes people who are, frankly, probably not in very good physical condition for intense exercise:

* Of the 106 participants whose BMI was determined, 58 (54.7%) had a BMI above 27. (page 5) That would be an overweight BMI.
    * 70.1% of 114 individual monitored hockey games, showed heart rate had slowed by less than 12 beats/min at 1 minute after cessation of exercise. (page 6) A drop of 25-30 beats in the first minute would suggest good cardiovascular (CV) fitness, 50-60 would be excellent. 12 beats in the first minute would be . . . not very good at all, really.

Slow heart rate recovery (heart rate stays higher, longer, after exercise is over) is an indicator of poor conditioning and low fitness, not an effect of high exercise intensity per se. Periodically measuring one's own heart rate recovery is a standard part of assessing fitness progress, with faster heart rate recovery - heart rate dropping faster upon cessation of exercise - generally an indicator of improving CV fitness.
    Conclusion:
    Exercising in a mild to moderate HR ranges is associated better fitness and fewer cardiac events.

Exercising above HR targets or age predicted MHR for extended periods of time is associated with poor HR recovery and increased risk of a cardiac events.

I was unable to find that stated as the conclusion, anywhere in the paper? (I see the ACSM caution referred to, but it's pretty de-contextualized, in some important ways, IMO.)

Basically, this seems to be a study aimed at figuring out whether recreational hockey players are commonly the sort of "weekend warrior" who undertake exercise intensities that exceed what would be most sensible for their current level of physical fitness. (In this sense, they might be comparable to the type of person who undertakes heavy snow-shoveling without adequate fitness, for example). With some very explicitly stated limitations about the size of the study and limitations of their testing mechanisms, the study finds that these presumably-typical recreational hockey players do take what the researchers consider risks. Further, it gives some strong indications that proper conditioning (that “building base CV fitness” thing) is protective against CV incident risk from overexertion.

Here’s an extended quote from study , bolded by me (with footnote numbers removed for readability), to show why I think that:
    The American College of Sports Medicine recommends an intensity of training from 55% or 65% to 90% of age-predicted HRmax. The college further cautions that “Higher-intensity exercise is associated with greater cardiovascular risk and orthopaedic injury.” Although the benefits of exercise are widely recognized, there have also been reports of an increase in frequency of cardiac events and sudden death triggered by vigorous exercise. Regular exercise seems to diminish this risk.

It is important to emphasize that no adverse events occurred during our study. Franklin and colleagues reported that moderate to vigorous exercise was associated with a mortality rate of 1 per 50 000 among people who exercised infrequently, a rate above that in the general population.

Willich and collaborators, in a retrospective analysis, found that 7.1% of patients who presented with myocardial infarction but only 3.9% of the control group were engaged in physical exertion at the time of the myocardial infarction (relative risk 2.1). Those who exercised fewer than 4 times per week had a relative risk of 6.9, whereas the relative risk was just 1.3 for those who exercised 4 times or more per week (p < 0.01). Mittleman and associates found that 4.4% of patients who had experienced myocardial infarction had been involved in heavy exertion. The relative risk (compared with little or no exertion) was 5.9. Again, regular exercise was shown to greatly attenuate the risk.

There’ve been many studies linked here on MFP in the past, suggesting benefits from regular high-intensity exercise (usually in interval form, such as HIIT), finding that it can have various benefits. This study seems like a useful, practical counter-balance in the sense that it underscores the idea that intensity is something to build up to, not undertake straight off as a beginner (or maybe even as an intermediate), if one wants to reduce one’s risk of adverse CV health events.

I don't think it supports the conclusion that high intensity is always and universally damaging. Conditioning is really important.
  • vivo1972
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Conclusion:

Checks pulse...

Nope definitely still alive and kicking... well not kicking more like cycling.... :smiley:

PS I've been riding my whole life - I can't drive so what Ann says backs it up. Or downhill....