Do you think that personality has an effect on weight loss success?

Options
13»

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    In the words of Dave Ramsey (regarding both debt and weight), you just have to reach the point of “being sick and tired of being sick and tired”.

I can pinpoint that moment.

And I am just the opposite. I am “sick and tired of being sick and tired”, but I am also an “all or nothing, start at the last moment to slide into home minutes before the deadline” person. It took me years to push myself into trying the first time.
    I’m still trying to talk myself into it the second time. I really think I’m making progress, but I Soooo wish I could cross that line
    NOW!

@corinasue1143 I'm with you. I have other areas in my life where I know I need to do better, I feel much guilt because I'm not doing as well as I know I should be, but I get told that I won't succeed until I want it bad enough. I've never figured out how you make yourself want something bad enough. Even though I'm now succeeding in losing weight again, I've never figured out why this one time out of the last 300 I've attempted actually worked; I don't know what flips the switch on and off!

It doesn't help that I am usually a realistic to the point of being pessimistic, sometimes, especially when it comes to myself. Doesn't matter that I've lost 100 lbs; my mind wants to continue to pound on me because I still need to lose another 100+. I have a very hard time giving myself credit for successes along the journey; my mind won't relent until I've reach the ultimate goal post - the problem is, my mind is constantly moving that goal post!

funny, though, that I do this to myself all the time, but have a much better outlook for others.
  • runinthewild
    runinthewild Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Yes, people with an unhealthy obsession for perfection can develop some issues like too low cals and overeating after eating a cookie because they werent perfect according to their diet.

Besides this mental health problems I think it is more about motivation than personality. Every person that has motivation and wants it bad enough could do it.

It is often seen in very obese people that they are fed up with their looks and health and want badly the change. They stick to their regimen very precisely and lose a lot of weight. It is also observed that already good looking healthy people have hard time motivating theirselves because they dont have THAT kind of motivation for losing some stubborn fat. I am that person. I look great, but would like to be 10 lbs lighter for running races. At 5 ft 7, 136 lbs I am perfectly fine, but running-wise I would be so much better cutting 5-10 pounds. I came to the conclusion the reason I suck creating a deficite is that I am too happy with my weight and since I am not a profi runner, I dont have enough motivation. I now cut sth like... 1000 cals a week. :D If I was fat or overweight I can imagine my effort would be much harder in order to feel good in my skin ASAP.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    If I was fat or overweight I can imagine my effort would be much harder in order to feel good in my skin ASAP.

One of the things that seems (thank all the gods) to be easing as I lose weight and exercise is severe body dysmorphia. I'm not where I want to be yet (1/8 of the way there) but apparently doing regular exercise is enough to make me okay for now while I lose weight at a sensible rate. Part of the misery that I felt in the last years of my marriage was due to the dysmorphia, while living with a food addict who would not let me eat a sensible diet and lose weight. (If I lost weight, he went out, bought ice cream, and threw a fit until I ate it. No joke.)

• runinthewild
    runinthewild Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Dont know what you mean exactly in regards of my posting, but I am happy for you escaping this trap! Sunds awful!

Edit: Oh ok, I got it!