Lifting For Weightloss

Options
I lost a significant amount of weight in 2017 and gained it back. I have started over again and have heard a lot of people and research say that lifting weights is important for weightloss. I'm not sure where to start, how much weight or sets of reps. Any advice?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Eating less calories than you burn is important for weight loss. While lifting does burn some calories, its main purpose is to preserve/build muscle and strength while losing weight. Plus for many people it's fun and builds confidence.

There is a list of programs in the gaining/bodybuilding section stickies. Let me find it for you.

Here it is

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Eating less calories than you burn is important for weight loss. While lifting does burn some calories, its main purpose is to preserve/build muscle and strength while losing weight. Plus for many people it's fun and builds confidence.

There is a list of programs in the gaining/bodybuilding section stickies. Let me find it for you.

Here it is

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That^^

Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Lifting to feel and look like a badass!

Didja find it yet, @sardelsa? I have it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

ETA: Yep, guess so... :laugh:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks @quiksilver296! I edited it and added it to the post. I really wish I had a keyboard shortcut for threads sometimes ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Thanks @quiksilver296! I edited it and added it to the post. I really wish I had a keyboard shortcut for threads sometimes ;)

I have a Word doc on my desktop with the most linked threads. I just copy and paste.
  • mlb0508
    mlb0508 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want to do weight lifting because of it's health benefits and also because I've seen so many before and after pics of people at the same weight but because they lift, it completely changes and sculpts the way their body looks. I do enjoy it too 😊 but I feel lost when doing it.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I started out with stronglifts too, it’s very easy to follow. I can’t recommend lifting enough. It’s done so much for my body and mental health.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mlb0508 wrote: »
    I do enjoy it too 😊 but I feel lost when doing it.

Where do you lift? At home or at a gym? If it's the latter I totally relate. I felt weird and like I didn't belong the first time I started lifting regularly. Two things I've learned..

First, nobody's looking at you or cares so don't stress about that.

Second, if you don't know, ask. I had a hard time with this personally because I'm pretty quiet in general so stepping out my comfort zone and approaching someone is scary on its own but honestly, a lot of people are more than willing to help.
    - see someone doing an exercise you want to try
    - approach when they're between sets and ask them if they can show you proper technique

That's what worked for me anyway. Can make a lot of gym buddies that way too. Goodluck, have fun, kick *kitten*!
  • chuckbernard54
    chuckbernard54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost a significant amount of weight in 2017 and gained it back. I have started over again and have heard a lot of people and research say that lifting weights is important for weightloss. I'm not sure where to start, how much weight or sets of reps. Any advice?

• chuckbernard54
    chuckbernard54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights now that I never thought possible at my age (69 yo). I started by reading several free beginner videos on YouTube. They really helped me!