Need advice as to why I’m not losing

Rowdib
Rowdib Posts: 11 Member
Hi all! After a failed weight loss surgery many years ago and the recent removal of the device, my doctor put me on a medical weight loss program. This has entailed a medication and the “Lean Green Protein “ diet as he calls it. The first week I lost 4.5 pounds. The second week I gained a pound and a half! I have not eaten any pasta, only two slices of bread, no sodas, no fruit whatsoever. I’m not even eating all my calories every day because I’m just not feeling hungry at all. My step tracker is not accurate as I don’t always carry my phone with me when I’m out but I am walking a little. Trying to as much as I can. My legs swell up when I’m on them for extended periods of time, one of the reasons I want to drop this weight. Any suggestions for me?? I weigh in again in the morning and I’m not feeling very optimistic. Help!

Replies

• Rowdib
    My doctor didn’t really give me a set calorie goal, but I set mine at 1320. I’m lucky if I eat half that per day. I’m just not hungry. I’d like to lose 100 pounds ultimately. I’m reading the labels on everything I eat and cook. When I cook something I create the recipe in this app and it tells me how many calories etc it has. I’ve made a few great recipes so far! I love to cook. I just hope tomorrow’s weigh in goes better. And maybe I just retained water from my cycle or something.
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    And one more thing. Skip the weight everyday... Only once a week. Because you well experience fluctuations in weight over a week. Weigh yourself at the same time each week. Morning is a good time. And then keep going :)
  • Rowdib
    I’m only weighing myself once a week on Sunday morning because I just can’t do it every day. I’d go nuts! I really try to eat more but I just am not hungry. The day will pass and l look at the clock and I’ll be like oh, I’m supposed to eat. I wish I could eat cereal cuz I could probably get some down more often. I like shredded wheat. But doc says no. And I do log everything I eat AND drink. There’s no point to cheating. Thank you for the tips every one!
  • cboscari
    cboscari Posts: 16 Member
    If you have not exercised much before, your body might be building healthier muscle tissue as you lose fat. This is really common when you start an exercise program, even walking. So even if the scale stays the same, you are still making progress. Don't get discouraged!
  • lbostic89
    lbostic89 Posts: 34 Member
    @Rowdib if you are eating well less than the 1300 calories it could simply be that your body is fighting "starvation mode" our bodies are programmed to store EVERYTHING we take in if food is scarce (think "caveman" theoretically). If your body feels you aren't getting enough calories it's going to store every ounce of fat and carbohydrates that you eat and it will do it's best to not release them...this could potentially be your issue. I have noted in my journey that as we do eat healthier and implement exercise that I am not hungry all the time, I would suggest meal planning; decide what you need everyday to meet your caloric goal and try to eat everything you plan for (naturally there is always a small variation. Example, this morning I planned for 3 boiled eggs, 4 slices low sodium turkey bacon and 2 slices whole wheat sugar free toast. It was everything I could do to take in 2 eggs, 3 bacon, and 1 slice toast. Keep in mind, previously I would eat 3 sausage biscuits smothered in butter less than 3 months ago; I will however put my food that I did not finish in the fridge and incorporate it into my snack after I exercise because I need the carbs and protein as I am working out 60-70 minutes 4-5 times per week now. Good luck and wish you well on your journey!!
    Stay positive and stay the course and you will see results!