We've all done

Options
You know you have done it. You're out with family at a place without any great options for your particular diet and go for it or were on a diet for health reasons and thought one day won't hurt. So here you are miserable and wondering what were you thinking. What is your recovery (being nice to yourself) meal?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    My recovery meal is usually oatmeal because it's important to get right back to it, and oatmeal is my usual habit for breakfast. It feels like once I start my day off with that, the rest of the day follows pretty naturally.
    Yeh, don't let one meal take you away from your long term goals. And don't beat yourself up about it, it's life and it happens. You certainly don't want to always deprive yourself either. :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh when I'm out I go all out. I don't go out often so for me it's a treat! But if I have overdone the food a bit then I usually just go back to eating normally, so toast for breakfast or pancakes if it's the weekend. I might cut out a meal or get an extra good lifting session in, but I don't focus on it too much since it all works out overtime as long as I get back on track.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    When I "go for it" it's usually on purpose. I either have pre-planned for it, have a backup plan for it, or have decided to have a high calorie day without making up for it. My diet has zero restrictions other than judging if a food is worth the calories, so I'm never really "off plan". My food choices when going out usually boil down to "what do I feel like eating today" and I always decide what I want to eat before I go if that's an option, but I rarely take diet into consideration (unless I don't know what I want and several choices look appealing, I'll take the lower calorie one). Given that I do this with intention I don't really regret it or feel miserable.

I have had times when I lost control over my calories and overate when I wasn't planning to. Usually when I'm having a long back pain episode and can't move as much as I'm used to (which means I have fewer calories to play with). It sucks, but I just remind myself that it's okay and that I will be back up and running (literally) in no time and re-lose any weight I gained within a few weeks and it will be as if it never happened.
  • MovingRumsAss
    MovingRumsAss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I should add that I have been trying to stay gluten free and this weekend I got sick instantly. So I'm not as worried about the calories as much as that meal where you have eaten the "old way" and regretted it.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    For me messing up is about eating something that makes me sick, not calorie counts. I tend to eat something nice and non-controversial for me if I"m having a flare, and just wait out the reaction and not do that again.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I should add that I have been trying to stay gluten free and this weekend I got sick instantly. So I'm not as worried about the calories as much as that meal where you have eaten the "old way" and regretted it.

My "old ways" are my "new ways" lol.
    The foods I eat now are the same foods I ate before, the only difference is how I manage those foods (quantity, frequency, assortment...etc).

If you're talking about regretting eating something you shouldn't for health reasons, then I feel you. It can feel unfair. I had to begrudgingly reduce my egg intake to a minimum because of sensitivity. I had a few "woe is me" tantrums in my head at first and felt it was unfair. Now I'm surprisingly fine with having eggs only occasionally. With the amount of sulking I did, you'd imagine it would be hard, but it surprisingly didn't take long to get used to. I was a bit stubborn at times and had eggs more often than I'm supposed to and had to wait out the discomfort. Hopefully, you will get used to it eventually and such slip ups will happen less often.
  • MovingRumsAss
    MovingRumsAss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

If it's because of a genuine gluten intolerance or celiac (which aren't that common), then whatever you need to do to feel physically better. Emotions shouldn't be part of it except perhaps understanding why you ate in a way that you knew would cause physical discomfort, so as to try to learn how not to do it again -- and shaming yourself IMO is not useful for that.

If it's a diet for weight loss or just because, I would just get back to it, as others said, and if you really overdid it and it was a restriction that you imposed only for weight loss reasons, I might think through whether the restriction led to overdoing it -- whether a less restrictive diet that accomplished the same goals (such as weight loss) might lead to less difficulty.

Personally, I usually eat a little lighter leading up to a dinner out when I think I will eat more than usual. If for some reason I didn't -- like it was unplanned -- I do often eat a bit lighter the day after, but I don't feel shame or punish myself, and I don't feel like I have to be really restrictive the next day to make up for it or anything. If I ate differently than I had planned (i.e., I'd intended to do one thing in the situation and did not), I might consider why that was, as that can be helpful going forward.

The short answer is unfortunately yes. The dr suspects gluten intolerance (not celiac) and you are correct it is rare but not as rare with someone with other autoimmune diseases. I have lupus; yes it sucks but it's my reality. Another rare thing that occurred was a vertebral artery dissection while exercising 2 years ago. So all the weight I lost and all the muscle I gained was lost and here I am starting over.
    We were out and needed something quick and I just didn't feel like having to go in circles to find a place that I could eat at for breakfast

"Miserable" was my stomach hurting from not eating right. I ended up with some uncured sausage and roasted veggies for my recovery meal and this morning is Greek yogurt while I drink my coffee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For me personally, there's a big difference between eating more calories than my daily goal (which I sometimes choose to do) and eating things that I know will make me feel sick (which I don't do).

For the first, it's my choice so I don't feel guilt. One meal isn't going to make a difference to my long term plans.

For the second, if this was something I was doing, I think I'd figure out why. Was I feeling frustrated at my dietary limitations? Did I not advocate for myself and my health needs when my family was choosing a restaurant? Do I have a pattern of eating in ways that sabotage my health?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Typically if I'm eating the "wrong things" while out, I won't have hit my protein macro. One day won't kill me, but if it was lunch, I might try to get closer to the range I want by grabbing a protein bar or shake when I get back to my office or home. Long term, it doesn't really make a difference, but short term, I might be really hungry really fast without the protein add on.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    For me personally, there's a big difference between eating more calories than my daily goal (which I sometimes choose to do) and eating things that I know will make me feel sick (which I don't do).

For the first, it's my choice so I don't feel guilt. One meal isn't going to make a difference to my long term plans.

For the second, if this was something I was doing, I think I'd figure out why. Was I feeling frustrated at my dietary limitations? Did I not advocate for myself and my health needs when my family was choosing a restaurant? Do I have a pattern of eating in ways that sabotage my health?

^^^ This all day long.

If you have dietary restrictions for health reasons, it's up to you to find out if a restaurant can accommodate your needs. Check if there's a menu online. If your family is picking a restaurant that can't or won't accommodate you, speak up and find an alternative that will. If your family is ordering the meal 'family style' and it doesn't meet your needs then order and pay for your meal individually. Take charge of your health so you don't need to recover from spending time with your family.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually the opposite. I usually know in advance if I'm going to enjoy myself so I plan for it. This doesn't happen often however. Usually it's my only meal for that day and/or I've banked calories during the week and/or I get in some extra cardio.

My calories almost always balances out for the entire week so that one meal over doesn't slow down my progress.

I almost always gain extra water weight, but it goes away in a couple of days.

The next day is business as usual.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Progresso lite Italian Wedding Soup. It’s only 160 calories for a whole can. But then again, I’d eat it anyway because I’m addicted to the stuff.