General thoughts on Pho

SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
edited February 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m curious what people’s general thoughts on the healthiness of pho (Vietnamese soup) is. Obviously, the sodium content is high. I probably eat a small bowl twice a week. I TRY to overestimate the calories at around 550. Am I Way off here? I love the stuff and it’s comforting on cold days.

ETA: I only use half the noodles

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I’m curious what people’s general thoughts on the healthiness of pho (Vietnamese soup) is. Obviously, the sodium content is high. I probably eat a small bowl twice a week. I TRY to overestimate the calories at around 550. Am I Way off here? I love the stuff and it’s comforting on cold days.

ETA: I only use half the noodles

I don't see anything inherently unhealthy about pho except I have to watch sodium for hypertension...no ideas on the calories, but caloric density doesn't really have anything to do with the healthfulness of a food. I get it every once in awhile and it's just broth, thinly sliced beef, some noodles, mung beans, jalapeno, and thai basil and spices...I don't see anything particularly unhealthy there.

I don't think a reasonable serving of pho would be particularly calorie dense...I doubt it would even be 550 calories, particularly if you're halving the noodles which would really be the only somewhat calorie dense part of the soup.

Thank you! Those were my thoughts. I’ve googled and searched on here and I generally come up with 350-600 so i error on a high estimate.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Now I’m thinking I should order in some Pho for dinner....

I think you’re right!! :)

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2020
    if I know a soup is high sodium, I usually split it into two servings & then top back off with water (or no salt broth) to dilute the salt bomb.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    It's delicious! I think really it's all about portion size. It goes down easy. The bowls at the restaurant I loved in my old college town were massive.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Love it! Today would be a perfect day for it too.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Every time I've had pho I'm still hungry afterwards lol! There's not much to it, It doesn't seem like it would be very high calorie.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I eat a lot of Pho. There's a ton of Pho places near me and they're like a siren's call when I'm driving by. I really love soup and noodles, and pretty much everything that goes into a bowl of Pho :)

Coincidentally, I too have been estimating it at 550. I guess it depends on what goes in it, but I think on average, that's a good number for it.

The sodium is very high, which is why I don't eat it every day. But as an occasional thing, I don't worry about it.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Love all the responses and love that ya'll love pho! I usually keep my portion size around a "standard" cereal bowl size. The smell is just heavenly and it does fill me up! Lots and lots of bean sprouts.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    I've had pho in my diary at 250 calories and at over a thousand calories.

Of course the sodium is insane. But the rest of it really depends on portion size and what's in it.

For most restaurant pho in Canada, unless you're going for something simple like a small pho Tai with half noodles and holding back on the sriracha and hoisin sauce, I would not consider 550 an over estimate.

Grab a nonshim or other noodle soup maker's supermarket pho. They come in at around 200-300 Cal and are not nearly as meaty/fatty/oniony as a restaurant pho. Generally they have about 40-50g rice noodles.

As an eye ball the noodles at restaurants are easily double even for small, plus all the above considerations.

And I mean some places actually use quite a bit of meat and especially if you have things like meatballs that is not exactly zero. Other places not so much but you will still get a few ounces

That said, the sodium will do more to the scale (temporarily) than a hundred or two calories!..

And yes there has been a time where the pho was well under 500 at a restaurant when they took me to heart with the half noodle thing and didn't even put in as many as come in packaged pho! But that has not been my typical experience.

• SisterSueGetsFit
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've had pho in my diary at 250 calories and at over a thousand calories.

Of course the sodium is insane. But the rest of it really depends on portion size and what's in it.

For most restaurant pho in Canada, unless you're going for something simple like a small pho Tai with half noodles and holding back on the sriracha and hoisin sauce, I would not consider 550 an over estimate.

Grab a nonshim or other noodle soup maker's supermarket pho. They come in at around 200-300 Cal and are not nearly as meaty/fatty/oniony as a restaurant pho. Generally they have about 40-50g rice noodles.

As an eye ball the noodles at restaurants are easily double even for small, plus all the above considerations.

And I mean some places actually use quite a bit of meat and especially if you have things like meatballs that is not exactly zero. Other places not so much but you will still get a few ounces

That said, the sodium will do more to the scale (temporarily) than a hundred or two calories!..

And yes there has been a time where the pho was well under 500 at a restaurant when they took me to heart with the half noodle thing and didn't even put in as many as come in packaged pho! But that has not been my typical experience.

I typically order the small, which is, pretty small. Slightly bigger than a cereal bowl at this place. But, it’s entirely possible I’m underestimating!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    I generally find the pho near me overly salty. But i love the idea of pho and often make basically the same thing at home with a broth base and then mix in meats and sprouts and large handful of herbs and I love the lime and hot sauces. Mmmmm
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited February 2020
    I typically order the small, which is, pretty small. Slightly bigger than a cereal bowl at this place. But, it’s entirely possible I’m underestimating!

Please note that I would call our small considerably larger than a regular sized noodle bowl. maybe closer to one of the "supersized" noodle bowls I see in the supermarket shelves these days.

In addition to noodles I would expect the "outside" pho to have a higher level of fat in the broth. DANG IT! I WANT PHO NOW!!!!! :blush:
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Please note that I would call our small considerably larger than a regular sized noodle bowl. maybe closer to one of the "supersized" noodle bowls I see in the market.

In addition to noodles I would expect the "outside" pho to have a higher level of fat in the broth. DANG IT! I WANT PHO NOW!!!!! :blush:

Bahaha! I think everyone commenting here wants pho now.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Oh!

Thank you. I'm planing my meals for next week and was a bit at a loss for ideas. Pho it shall be on Wednesday. :smiley:
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Its delicious! If I'm tight on calories, I just omit the noodles.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Its delicious! If I'm tight on calories, I just omit the noodles.

I usually go super light on the noodles. My problem is, I just have no idea about the broth. Sometimes it's more fatty, sometimes not. In any event, I figure it can't be HORRIBLE. Especially when it tastes so good. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I always have a large bowl of beef pho w/the steaknon the side, so it doesn't get over cooked. I always estimate 650 cals based on the major components (noodles/beef), rather err on the high than the low side.

I also love eating a latge bowl of "bun bue hue," a spicy northern Vietnamese beef noodle dish that I estimate at 850 cals because its use of wheat noodles, beef shank and blood cubes and other calorie dense items.