Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What seems to be the issue?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Without further information it’s hard to figure out what you’re having a problem with but I’ll try to address the various scenarios that cross my mind.

- weigh the fruit, stir into prepared batter. This generally applies to dried fruit because fresh tends to release too much moisture to just add to a standard recipe.

- if you’re thinking of using stewed fruit to replace sugar/fat/eggs in a cake I’d strongly recommend following a recipe that is written that way as baking is a bit of a chemistry balancing act and doesn’t do well with untested substitutions.

If that’s not any help, more specific details of what you’re thinking of would be helpful! 😊
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Other scenario - stopping it sinking to the bottom in the batter - dust the fruit with flour
  • lifeovpi
    lifeovpi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah sorry I'm just worried about the cake not rising or the fruit sinking to the bottom is the scenarios in my own head
  • lifeovpi
    Options
    I was going to make a fruit jam swirl like I would with a cheesecake
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    As Tinkerbellang says, I’d normally take a spoonful of the weighed flour and toss it with the dried fruit (especially fruit such as glacé cherries) to prevent it from sinking.

Swirling jam through the batter works just fine, either in the bowl for a more marbled effect or in the cake tin for a more rippled style.

Shouldn’t cause any issues at all.
  • lifeovpi
    Options
    As Tinkerbellang says, I’d normally take a spoonful of the weighed flour and toss it with the dried fruit (especially fruit such as glacé cherries) to prevent it from sinking.

Swirling jam through the batter works just fine, either in the bowl for a more marbled effect or in the cake tin for a more rippled style.

Shouldn’t cause any issues at all.

Cool all I needed to know thanks