Cholesterol

Options
I am thinking of updating to the premium plan. Can this help me plan to help me lower my cholesterol.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Don't have to.. You just need to preplan your food and watch the cholesterol numbers on food you eat. Just my 2¢
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd me more concerned with carbs and cardio than cholesterol intake. There's been studies showing dietary cholesterol intake affects serum levels very little. I had very high triglycerides and LDL levels. As well as, low HDL numbers. Was sput on statins a couple of times, which did very little. It wasn't untill i stared a keto type plan that my numbers dropped. Triglycerides alone went from over 400 to under 100 with out any drugs. The only thing i changed was cutting carbs, and raising fats and protein. I even eat the forbidden eggs, at least 3 a day. Keep in mind exercise is very important also, HDL numbers especialIy are affected by cardio.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The "eggs are bad" thing was always nonsense and I have always ignored it. Exercise helps a lot, and not going overboard on fatty cuts of meat, staying away from trans fats also helps. I take a low dose of a statin because my liver cranks out cholesterol in excess. Runs in the family. If you get your eating and exercise together and your numbers are still whack, talk to your doctor.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OP, even without premium you still have access to the daily cholesterol intake (max recommended 300mg daily). When done with your day ---> at the bottom [Complete his entry] ---> next page you'll see [View Full Report]

I am a believer in low total cholesterol in blood. When the subjects are at a <150 level, coronary diseases are very rare and the recommended "standard" max 200mg/dl is not that low. I just got my last blood test and I am at 147 @ soon 53yo. I eat little meat (2-3x 3-4oz a week). I replaced most of the complete eggs with egg whites only.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,072 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    OP, even without premium you still have access to the daily cholesterol intake (max recommended 300mg daily). When done with your day ---> at the bottom [Complete his entry] ---> next page you'll see [View Full Report]

I am a believer in low total cholesterol in blood. When the subjects are at a <150 level, coronary diseases are very rare and the recommended "standard" max 200mg/dl is not that low. I just got my last blood test and I am at 147 @ soon 53yo. I eat little meat (2-3x 3-4oz a week). I replaced most of the complete eggs with egg whites only.

More than the total, it matters what makes up the total (HDL, LDL).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »

More than the total, it matters what makes up the total (HDL, LDL).

Even LDL is controversial. Fasting blood glucose, A1C, and CRP are better indicators. Lowering LDL doesn't necessarily mean improve all cause mortality or reduce risk for CVD.