Not losing

Options
13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    If you're viewing Fitbit as a motivator to become more active, then it is most certainly a valuable motivator. At least I've found it to be such.

If you're viewing Fitbit as the solution to figuring out the calories puzzle, it may be something that helps you at the margin; but, the careful logging of your caloric intake (food and drink) and of your scale weight trend has a higher chance of helping you solve the puzzle.

It would be very unusual for a person who, overall, does not reach their maintenance number of calories to have gained weight over time.

Now, you did mention that you have been weight stable for a long period of time. It IS possible for a person to slightly under-eat or very lightly over-eat and be at a weight equilibrium because of some adjustment of their subconscious activity level.

I don't know if I've mentioned this to you (and I can't go over the thread right now to confirm), but if you're trying to make a small adjustment towards health, are within the normal weight level, weight stable, and truly sedentary (most people who leave the house for work tend to be closer to lightly active as opposed to within the 1.2 to 1.25 physical activity multiplier definition of the word sedentary) then your most bang for the buck may come from implementing the WHO physical activity and exercise recommendations first.
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yep ok thanks. Sorry been going on a bit now with this thread but just trying to get my head round

A: How I can be struggling to eat the goal calories of 1500 let alone 1940 to maintain and keeping same weight, must be something screwy going on with my body

B:. If my Activity level is set to 'not very active' which includes say the first 3000 steps how do I sync Google Fit or Fitbit to record accurately those days that I go over 3000 or do I just not worry about them. Did notice when I click on the exercise bit and Extra calories earned it reports MFP Android Google calories burned as 2189, Myfitness calories burned as 1932 so therefore difference of 257. Don't know where it gets the 2189 and 1932 from, Google fit only showing 1485 calories burned with 1730 steps

Again sorry just getting completely confused for something which should be simple and I'm thinking it's the step syncing which is confusing it
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    To @PAV8888's list a common source of logging problems is weighing the food prepared instead of as packaged. You mentioned frozen potatoes in one of your earlier posts. To figure the portion there you would weigh them in their frozen state normally. If you weigh them after they are cooked then the weight is altered by how much water escapes. This would not matter as much for low calorie items but potatoes are higher calorie.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Agreed re frozen meals.

Slap on scale uncooked, log while it's cooking by full weight. Eat.

Weight empty packaging and edit logged entry to deduct (if eaten in package such as single serve meals)
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Ok thanks. Pretty sure I am weighing everything correctly as packets states. It is says so many calories for so much weight I weigh that amount. I have got the Fitbit app and did start with that so I'll go back with that I think rather than Google fit and if not I'll just put up with how I am.

Thanks for all the help guys
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Installed the Pacer Pedometer app yesterday and interestingly yesterday Fit said I had done 2807 steps and burned 1624 calories, Pacer reported 2908 steps and 109 calories. I'm guessing Fit is taking into account my standard calories as well whereas Pacer is just those from steps. I've linked Pacer to MFP but it doesn't seem to bring anything across but still averaging 1500 with no change to what I've always eaten.

I've also had a thought that taking into account the above where my diet doesn't appear to have changed, it's obvious that I've never hit my 1940 goal to maintain although I have maintained for several months if not longer. I am always tired as well and again I guess that's because I've never been eating enough calories for my body to function properly.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Stuart, have you had a medical check up to rule out any health issues?
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Not yet but was down there recently for something and was told all the basics, bloody pressure and so on is correct
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    stuarta99 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Not yet but was down there recently for something and was told all the basics, bloody pressure and so on is correct

Blood tests?

If your calorie intake is accurate, and you are feeling tired all the time, I'd say it warrants further investigation as to possible medical causes. It's possible you're just an unlucky outlier in terms of calorie needs, but it pays to check.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Or lucky outlier! If he's not hungry but happy and maintaining and saving on extra food money!

Stuart, not getting extra calories from sub 3k steps is expected as usually you start getting extra (above MFP sedentary) somewhere in the 3 to 5000 range, with most people usually starting to show a couple of extra Cal at 3500ish
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Something is working, lost another 2lb this week