Fasting

Options
Can some people offer their opinion?

I’m curious to know ... does fasting enhance weight loss or stall it? I’ve heard it’s better to keep your metabolic rate up by eating lots of little meals through out the day but I also heard fasting can enhance weight loss.

Talk soon 😌

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Some folks, like myself, have had better success in losing weight by not having a static calorie intake everyday. For example, if the goal is to eat (on average) 1600 calories a day, I will eat 1200 calories every other day, and 2000 on the others. It feels like I do better losing with this eating plan. But a calorie deficit (on average) is still required.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Having said that my OH uses the 5:2 fasting by restricting her calories on 2 days to around 500-600 and then maintainance for the other 5 days (In her case 1600-1700) She is fine with this at the moment, but has just started lifting, so we shall see how she fits in lifting with fasting
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have done what the interwebs calls 18:6 and very often OMAD throughout my 2 years. Most of that time I have meticulously tracked my weight progress as it compares to the calorie deficit I created. If there is an advantage it is not enough of one to show up in my numbers. I lose weight at around 3500 calories per pound just like everyone else.

A lot of people will think it makes a difference because when you change your eating schedule it can change hydration and your bathroom elimination schedule. This can result in a quick loss on the scale. This is not fat weight. It is water weight and waste weight that you eliminated earlier or didn't consume at the same time of day as before. I have watched myself do this many times as I alternate between eating a small dinner or not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Can some people offer their opinion?

I’m curious to know ... does fasting enhance weight loss or stall it? I’ve heard it’s better to keep your metabolic rate up by eating lots of little meals through out the day but I also heard fasting can enhance weight loss.

Talk soon 😌

It inherently does neither. I've done 16:8 and have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight depending on my overall calories consumed.
  • dabburs6515
    dabburs6515 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started fasting (18/6) to lose weight initially, (using CICO too) I stayed because the other benefits for me (post menopausal woman) have been better sleep & much better moods 😍 I don’t worry about what to make for breakfast or lunch , I’m more productive at work & home - I usually break my fast with a milky coffee and some plain popcorn - I eat normally with my family at dinner and deny myself very little ( 1600 calories is a lot to eat in 6 hours) I’m not strict and adjust my eating window at weekends to enjoy brunch - it’s working for me , I believe the weight loss is wholly due to CICO though
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also Dr. Satchin Panda is a good source.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like intermittent fasting...it had a negative effect on my already poor health and it made me hungrier. When I do a religious fast for 24-36 hours, I notice it seems to make me more in control of my eating, cravings and hunger for a few days afterwards. That tends to make me eat less overall or at least it is easier to eat less overall.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My certified nutritionist recommended intermittent fasting. She said by not eating for a period of at least 12 hours, your gut gets to reset, cells get to regenerate, the body gets a chance to break down and use all of the nutrients you've put into it that day so it can "tell" you what it needs the next time you eat. I've been doing it for about three months now and it has helped me - especially when traveling! And I travel a LOT. So instead of eating from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, I eat less calories (just like what the "full stoppers" above have said) simply because I only allow myself to eat within a certain window of time. Dinner was over at 9pm? Okay, that means no eating until at least 10 or 11am the next day and try to have dinner done by 8pm. I'm not at strict with my times/windows as a lot of people, but I'm still figuring out what works for me.

Good luck!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me is to save about 75% of my calories for the evening (5pm - 10pm). I always struggled to control my snacking in the evening, and this allows me plenty of room for dinner and some late night snacking. Essentially I skip breakfast (except for coffee), and have a very small lunch (often a protein shake or power bar with maybe some fruit. Having said that, I have had success maintaining with many different eating frequency schedules. This just seems to work for me (for now anyway)