How does one lose inches?

Options
May be a stupid question, but how does one lose inches? I am in a calorie deficit

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    By reducing body fat.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best way to reduce fat (and lose weight). Also, I've been doing pilates two times a week and weight training two times a week and I have noticed that (although my weight loss has slowed) I have lost inches. As stated above...you can't choose where on the body the fat will fall! Build lean muscle!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best way to reduce fat (and lose weight). Also, I've been doing pilates two times a week and weight training two times a week and I have noticed that (although my weight loss has slowed) I have lost inches. As stated above...you can't choose where on the body the fat will fall! Build lean muscle!

Given you've stated best to reduce fat and lose weight, there's a potential implication of losing far and gaining or maintaining weight. Seems that would be better than walking because it would be a large change in composition.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sometimes body sculpting is better for this you tend to eat a diet not particularly lose weight but lots of inches. Something like 90 day obsession or Jillian Micheal a 30 day shred follow the diet plan and do the exercises
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would have thought the best way to lose inches is to firm up your muscles through strength training or callisthenics. I know when I squeeze my muscles in, I look several inches thinner, so if they were firm and taut I'd look thinner full time.
  • sarahwinston2
    sarahwinston2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • sarahwinston2
    sarahwinston2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Now if I could ask you how to lose body fat...
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Now if I could ask you how to lose body fat...

Food scale. Accurate entries logged. Stay within your MFP deficit. Eat back about half of your exercise calories. Adjust as you see a weight loss trend.
  • michaelwrightkindle
    Options
    There is quite a lot of evidence that suggests visceral fat is tied to cortisol and stress. Just like insulin impacts your ability to store fat, meaning that *what* and when you eat matters, your body has mechanisms that determine where and how it stores or burns fat. I believe that, along with genetics, some weight-loss and lifestyle plans are more effective at targeting visceral fat than others. The stress on your body from intermittently fasting on top of maintaining a calorie defecit might help target belly fat. Especially if you choose to exercise in a fasted state, I believe you have a better chance of losing belly fat faster. Just don't get too caught up on tracking exercise calories or using them as an excuse for guilty eating.

keywords for research: visceral fat, cortisol, fasting, exercise