How does one lose inches?

Options
2»

Replies

• michaelwrightkindle
    Options
    Just don't get too caught up on tracking exercise calories or using them as an excuse for guilty eating.
    If someone is exercising without paying attention to how many calories one needs or using extra activity as an "excuse" for eating, that has the potential to create major stress for the body. If it's true that this impacts fat stores, wouldn't we want to minimize that?

I feel like you could just as easily argue that dieting leads to anorexia or other eating disorders.

I mean, any glance at any public forum dedicated to weight loss or dieting or exercise shows you that there are a tremendous number of people trying to use a Fitbit as an oracle. It's counterproductive and "rule of thumb" generalizations like "eat back half" are pretty arbitrary and meaningless without context. You're not going to fall out if you go from sedentary to doing a daily aerobics class or walk without compensating with a protein shake or an energy bar. But it would be trivially easy to undermine your weight-loss efforts if you equate working out more to eating more, especially when diet is the major factor. Maybe I'm wrong for assuming someone adhering to the kind of training regimen an elite athlete might use would present differently, though, and the average person on a dieting forum is genuinely at risk of doing themselves harm by overexertion? Nah.
  • michaelwrightkindle
    michaelwrightkindle Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    What I said (after what I felt was a thoughtful summary of my research on the correlation between fasting,stress,cortisol, and belly fat) was "Just don't get too caught up on tracking exercise calories or using them as an excuse for guilty eating." You literally quoted that before disregarding it and going on a spiel equating it to "do not consider your overall activity level when deciding how much to eat." I won't publicly speculate on why you might've been triggered. Regardless, this conversation is over.
  • michaelwrightkindle
    Options
    Visceral fat is exactly the kind of fat that won't cause a loss of inches. Belly fat =\= visceral fat. Belly fat is subcutaneous fat located at the belly.

Belly fat is a combination of visceral fat and subcutaneous fat and you'd need specialized diagnostic tools to get an accurate picture of the exact composition, which is why medical literature increasingly and overwhelmingly suggest belly fat or waist size as a benchmark for guesstimating risk of complications due to visceral fat (possibly including dementia, insulin resistance, risk of heart attack and stroke, etc).

Not sure exactly what you were trying to say or on what basis, but I am sure I can support my claims with as many scholarly sources as you'd like.
  • dar1182
    dar1182 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why did my calorie daliy goal go up on my app? Is it because i changed my stztus to very active? I cant even keep up eating 1200 calories let alone 1630 which its saying i need each day.. i do the HIIT on my elliptical 3 days a week and am now doing weight of 20 lbs and do my rebounder routine and incorporate my walk fit routine at least a few other days a week plus i work so how am i going to eat that much? Been on tbis journey before but going to make it a way of life as i feel so much better now,.. i use essential ols to help me lose inches and found that cal/mag utyrate has some beneficial affects on losing fat and so does potassium citrate.. look these 2 things up and read about them