Foods you refuse to try

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Not sure why but some foods I won't ever try, even though many people seem to love them.

Sardines
Sushi
Squid/Octopus

What are some of yours?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut
    Hated it as a kid. Refuse to eat it now 😂
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    here are a few.....unless I was starving and these were my only choices, otherwise NO!

tripe
    balut
    durian
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Bugs that look like bugs. (I'd try cricket flour cause it doesn't look like bugs)

Exception: lobster (sea bugs are okay) ;)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I won’t try sushi, I’m not a rice fan and I won’t eat raw meat. I know some sushi has cooked protein, but there’s too much other food that I like to waste calories on something I don’t care for, rice.
    Lutefisk. I’ve been exposed to it all of my life (Scandinavian heritage) and no thanks.

There are a lot of foods I have tried once, but never again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I'll try anything vegetarian. I actively like trying weird foods, and the vegetarianism saves me from having to try a lot of scary stuff (real example: chicken feet).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'll try most anything once. I don't remember being offered a food and not trying it (except maybe when I was a little kid).

That being said, I'm not personally very food adventurous. I wouldn't try something weird like chicken feet if it wasn't offered to me by someone else.

I have eaten freeze-dried crickets, alligator, octopus...
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I won't try balut, I won't eat any meat that was sapient in life (like dolphin, human, or elephant), I probably would try chicken feet though I doubt I'd like them. I'll eat almost any sushi except for the live kind or sea cucumber. Not too keen on trying natto either though I'd probably try to give it a bit of a nibble. And I don't think I could stomach escargots.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'll try anything that isn't an animal product, but foods that I'd probably have to steel myself for are natto, durian, and any kind of drink that has that funky "alive" blob floating at the bottom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    pigs feet, chicken heads, tripe
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Brains
    Tongues
    Mac N Cheese
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Along with many of the suggestions above - brussel sprouts. I have a lifelong deep hatred of lettuce. I have tried many types of lettuce in many forms throughout my life and it is just disgusting. My husband keeps trying to sell me on eating brussel sprouts by explaining that they just taste like tiny heads of lettuce. So not going to do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Along with many of the suggestions above - brussel sprouts. I have a lifelong deep hatred of lettuce. I have tried many types of lettuce in many forms throughout my life and it is just disgusting. My husband keeps trying to sell me on eating brussel sprouts by explaining that they just taste like tiny heads of lettuce. So not going to do it.

I hate brussel sprouts, too! But I did try them, several times. Same with sushi.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that I flat-out wouldn't try at least once. However, I can think of many things that I wouldn't try again. Goat head, for one. Chocolate ants. Cauliflower.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Lots of people hate them for how they actually do taste, though.

Yeah me, I hate them. To me they tasted more like cabbage.
    Maybe it’s like they say about cilantro, some say it tastes like soap. I love it , doesn’t taste like soap to me. Tastebuds?