Did I hit Plateau

Options
Dear MFPers,

Good Morning,

I have lost 11.2 Kg in 3 months. but for the past one month my weight is stuck and it is not going down. Did I hit Plateau already?. I am still motivated that I will reach my initial goal of 74 Kg in six months.

Initial Weight = 98.4 Kg on 12th November 2019
Current Weight = 88.5 kg on 23rd Feb 2020
Goal Weight = 74 kg (to reach 12th May 2020)
Height= 166 cm

I want to keep losing 1 kg a week, I tried to change the weight but MFP is still showing me 1500 calories.

I would be very thankful for any tips and motivation.

Thanks and have a good day

Replies

• nasim_nasri
    nasim_nasri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You are an adult male - 1500 is the lowest number of calories My Fitness Pal is going to give you.....full stop.

What that means is your goal of 1 kg per week loss is likely an aggressive one. As we get closer to goal, weight loss slows. This is normal. A smaller you requires fewer calories to maintain. But a smaller you still requires a minimum amount of nutrition. This is why the default calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Thanks a lot, links helped.

I hope one day I will be writing my small success story once reached my goal weight InsHALLAH
  • nasim_nasri
    Options
    Dear MFPs,

my weight is stuck b/w 87 KG to 88.5 KG, last week I weighted 87 KG and I was very happy but today i weighted again 88.5.

I need your guidance why my weight is stuck for past 1 month, Initial 10 KG loss was very easy.

I am eating healthy and also doing little bit exercise.

Appreciate your response and support in this regards
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Dear MFPs,

my weight is stuck b/w 87 KG to 88.5 KG, last week I weighted 87 KG and I was very happy but today i weighted again 88.5.

I need your guidance why my weight is stuck for past 1 month, Initial 10 KG loss was very easy.

I am eating healthy and also doing little bit exercise.

Appreciate your response and support in this regards

Are you logging all your food?

Your answer is here:

jgvus21xw680.jpg

• nasim_nasri
    Options
    My weight is fluctuating b/w 87 Kg and 88.5 Kg, is this normal.

I already place order for weight scale to further grip on what I eat and measure it.

Any motivation and support comments will be appreciated.

I need to reach my goal InshALLAH.
  • nasim_nasri
    Options
    Any supporting comments, my weight is stuck. Pleaseb
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    What is your height, age, current weight (are you using a weight trend app or website?) ?

How many calories are you eating per day? Out of curiosity and of much less importance what is your macro split (Carbs, Fats, Protein, Fiber?)

Describe your day (to try and figure out your activity level). Are you on your feet, at a computer, driving, etc?

How are you estimating your calories? I see, above, that you had ordered a kitchen scale. Have you been using it? Are the portions the same as what you were estimating before?

I see that your food log is not open to the general MFP population. Therefore I can't see or comment on any logging practices or even see if you're logging every day or missing the occasional day, and what have you.

Supportive comments are nice; but, the main driver in this will be YOU! You and the smart decisions you will make to ensure that you are setting up yourself for success!

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Pleateaus are part of the diet experience. I've been at this for nine months and have now seen my share of rapid weight loss periods, slow weight loss periods, and some passages of time when the scale was very stubborn indeed. I am no expert on what this all means (and I doubt anyone else truly understands it either) but for what it's worth, here are my three observations:
    • Plateaus start, and then they end. If you are patient, and diligent with the dieting, you can and will push through it.
    • A plateau can occur with absolutely no change in caloric intake or exercise whatsoever, but it is a really, really good idea to double-down on diligence when you hit one. I had a month long plateau and in frustration started really drilling down on what was going into my mouth, and discovered that, in fact, my caloric intake had subtly increased without my even noticing. Even though I measure and log. There's tight measuring and logging, and then there's looser measuring and logging which happens when you've been dieting for a while and are fatigued with it and maybe going through the motions a little more than you were at first. Is that spoonful of peanut butter truly 90 calories, or did an extra 30 calories sneak in there when you concluded you could eyeball it and were fatigued with doing the kitchen scale routine? Or maybe you're still using the scale, but allowing yourself an extra taste or two of ingredients as you cook, or taking that sample slice of Boar's Head cold cut the helpful deli clerk offers you, which you weren't taking the first couple months when you were hard core about it, etc. It adds up. Did, in my case.
    • In the end, despite any plateaus, over the long term your weight loss will end up being approximately what it should have been, given your daily CICO numbers.

I continue to believe that the average, everyday plateau experienced by a long-term dieter is probably due to slightly increased intake which sets in subtly as a diet plods along, although I've also seen with my own eyes that a scale can get very stubborn for a while even when the logging is solid.

• nasim_nasri
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

What is your height, age, current weight (are you using a weight trend app or website?) ? height is 166cm, Age is 36, current weight is 87kg

How many calories are you eating per day? Out of curiosity and of much less importance what is your macro split (Carbs, Fats, Protein, Fiber?) MFP gives me 1500 Calories per day, my starting goal was to lose 1 kg per week and I was losing 1 Kg per week but for last one month and so I am stuck b/w 87 to 88.5

Describe your day (to try and figure out your activity level). Are you on your feet, at a computer, driving, etc? I have a computer job so most of the day I am at my desk, I go to gym for 30 mins, do light walking/running, light weight lifting.

How are you estimating your calories? I see, above, that you had ordered a kitchen scale. Have you been using it? Are the portions the same as what you were estimating before? I am eyeballing and measuring plates, I am guessing most of the time, by doing same I lost 11.4 kg, so I ordered and kitchen scale and I will be weighting my food InsHALLAH

I see that your food log is not open to the general MFP population. Therefore I can't see or comment on any logging practices or even see if you're logging every day or missing the occasional day, and what have you. How can open my food log for MPF, please guide me

Supportive comments are nice; but, the main driver in this will be YOU! You and the smart decisions you will make to ensure that you are setting up yourself for success!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Sounds like you're on a good path.

Next steps:

-ensure you're using correct entries from the user created database. Cross check with USDA food Central and sr legacy database for wording you're likely to find for admin created entries on mfp

-evaluate your weight trend not daily weight. Averages, trailing averages, weighed averages, or apps such as Libra, happy scale, or trendweight.com (use with free Fitbit account for data entry) or weightgrapher or others

-as you've now entered the high overweight (no longer officially obese, yeah) category, and as you're being more accurate, don't hesitate to aim for 750g or even 500g a day instead of 1kg if you ever find yourself having trouble complying where's the deficit you're attempting.

Long-term compliance is more important than speed.

Long term you need to slowly start thinking about your total lifestyle too. Can you get up for a few minutes every hour? Do you have the opportunity before and after work to do things that involve movement as opposed to more sitting? You don't always have to be in a gym in order to be more active. And exercise doesn't always have to be high intensity to count: moderate activity beats no activity!

Realistically, even at 500g, you will be at normal weight within the next 12 months. Even if you include a diet break during Ramadan. From observing people on a caloric deficit who also try to implement religious fasts, it gets too much too fast sometimes. I would not go out of my way to overeat during Ramadan and I've met people who are naturally in a deficit given the restricted eating window that Ramadan creates. But I would consider it prudent to think of it as a diet break or maintenant practice time.

Which brings us to: it's never too early to start thinking about maintenance and making food and activity choices you think you will be able to continue with long term!

• nasim_nasri
    Options
    Hi PAV8888,

Thanks for your detailed answer, yes it is a life style changes and I am happy that I did this.

I am not going back to old eating habits InshALLAH.

Yes Ramdan is near and I already decided that I will be eating healthy foods in Ramdan and I will eat 1500 Calories as given by MFP. I want to continue 1500 Calories, once I stop losing weight on 1500 calories then I will see

Thanks for your answers, really appreciate your support.

I will do it this time InshALLAH