Intermittent fasting and minimum calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you think IF, assuming the same calorie intake, is going to help with the last 15 lbs?

Have you taken any diet breaks (a 10-14 day period of eating at maintenance cals, not a free for all) during your weight loss? https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I’ll make this easy (I think anyway). 400x3=1200! In 8 hours no problem for me or most (I would think). And IF the other 16. I’m not an IF’r so... But I did do 1200 calories and sometimes slightly less (and something slightly more) for a few months while losing 83 lbs in 8 months. Kept a close check on nutrition levels every day. Worked for me and hit my target dead on. Good luck! If it works for you do it and if not find what does and you’ll get there.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've done some sort of IF since 2013. I've never had trouble eating my 1600-ish calories, and have in fact still had trouble at times limiting calories even within a "window".

At the point I'm at now, I'd probably have trouble with OMAD. 16:8 works fine for me. YMMV.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I am on day 259 today of IF with an 8 hour window. Today just logged 60 pounds lost. Two pounds away from my goal. I eat 1400 - 1500 calories in that time without any problem. I thought it would be harder to do because breakfast was always my favorite meal of the day. Now I dont even notice. Good luck.

Similar situation here. Day 268 of IF, used to do an 8 hr window, now 7 hrs. 69 lbs lost, 1750 calories per day. My appetite outside the eating window is all but non-existent at this point. It's been unexpectedly easy for me to stay in the IF groove & I intend to stick with IF after I get to my goal weight.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 38 of a 17:7 IF pattern and I'm loving it. No more urge to snack in the evenings and if I fancy eating earlier the next day I just stop eating earlier the day before. My appetite has really decreased although I do try to eat my daily calorie goal. I plan to eat this way for life.
  • bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What they said. I actually am a short old lady (5'5", 64), and lost most of my weight on more than 1500 daily calories. Nutrition is important. You need calories to get enough of it, not to mention needing calories for their own sake. Severely undereating is as likely to slow your progress (through fatigue/reduced activity) or cause full derailment, as it is to speed progress . . . and it's a health risk. Eat enough. 1200 or less is not enough for any normal-sized male (even a pretty short one).

If 5'5" is short what am I at 4'10" lol
  • justMbailey
    justMbailey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually eat from 2pm to 8pm so a 6 hour window. I find it helpful simply because once I start to eat I just want to keep eating. I am a tall middle aged lady with a tested slow metabolism but I don’t have any issue at all hitting my calories. And there are lots of days that my husband makes a delicious supper and I fly right past that number :). I like this Schedule and it works for me. I think it is just all about figuring out what works the best for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    bbeyer1792 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What they said. I actually am a short old lady (5'5", 64), and lost most of my weight on more than 1500 daily calories. Nutrition is important. You need calories to get enough of it, not to mention needing calories for their own sake. Severely undereating is as likely to slow your progress (through fatigue/reduced activity) or cause full derailment, as it is to speed progress . . . and it's a health risk. Eat enough. 1200 or less is not enough for any normal-sized male (even a pretty short one).

If 5'5" is short what am I at 4'10" lol

Short. 😉

At 5'5", I'm an average-ish height woman, but a short person. OP is male (according to his profile), so the latter is the context.

No insult intended. 🙂
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm there OP of this thread and I did intermittent fasting for about 2 months and I liked it but ended it. No reason really, just ended it. I have regular plain Greek yogurt in the morning. High protein and only 90 calories. I may go back at some point but not right now.