Macros?

Options
Any tips on whether I should follow a 1268 cal diet or a 1482 one? I'm getting differing answers online. I'm a sedentary 27 y/o female, 5'3", 124 lbs, looking to lose body fat and get fit.

Replies

• sarahwinston2
    sarahwinston2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess my question is what eating at maintenance would be?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

You'll have to do some experimenting.

Online calculators are just a starting point. If you know how they work and you answer their questions honestly, you should be able to get an answer within a couple hundred calories.

Then you do what we ALL have to do. You use those numbers, log food and adjust if needed.

For me (like Ann) the calculators (all of them) are wrong in a pretty big way. I've been at Maintenance weight for over a decade and I eat 500 calories per day MORE than any of the calculators suggest I should.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

If the question is how to determine the calorie level to maintain weight, there's a thread about that here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1
  • Adtamayo2695
    Adtamayo2695 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been struggling with the same. I kept getting different answers on the online calculators and then came across Gaugegirlfitness on Youtube. She basically broke it all down and explained the formula etc and it helped me finally figure out how to figure out my macros. Check it out. If you are confused - which honestly, so was I, shoot me a message and I can help you out. Took me a week to understand all the math but i finally get it haha
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Everyone is different, but here is an example near to you.

I am 5'3", 122 lbs, and 55 years old. My maintenance calories are in the 1600-1700 range. I get about 10k steps (life + walking as exercise) a day and do yoga 2 days a week.

I have some serious issues with joints and connective tissue (tendons and ligaments) so I'm gentle about exercise. 10 years ago I was doing more exercise including strength training and had more muscle but weighed the same, I would estimate that my maintenance calories were about 100 - 200 calories more. I didn't track using MFP then, but my diet is basically the same, only a little less.
  • xxxpopeyexxx
    xxxpopeyexxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    how much weight/fat are you looking to lose? how many calories were you consuming before?