Training at the gym?

Hi,

I've just joined a gym, I weigh 200lbs so I'm quite large, I'm terribly nervous about going for the first time, I've joined and paid online and now just need to turn up.
I believe from reading reviews etc that I will go in for an induction, they will show me how to use the equipment etc and then I'll be on my way. Question is, I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any tips or plans that they used for when they first started at the gym?

I've been to gyms before and been given plans but they were really basic and consisted of treadmill, cross trainer, bike and rower and I'd like to incorporate some weight training as well as cardio. Any help would be really appreciated. I'm absolutely terrified about going,

thanks

S x

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    My first time going to the gym, I was a true noob. I picked a lifting program (Stronglifts), researched form and started very very light. I am not one for having someone show me the ropes so to speak. But for others it can be helpful. Ymmv
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    If you feel more comfortable following a program, there is a good list here that many have tried so you will have people who can give you feedback right away as to which is most appropriate

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

If you would like to feel your way through the machines and equipment on your own, you could structure something quite simple following something like so, with maybe a few sets each of around 10 reps

Dumbbell or Barbell squat
    Dumbbell or Barbell deadlift
    Dumbbell, Barbell or machine chest press
    Some form of pulling for the back - cables for instance
    Some arm work can be thrown in for good measure

As long as you pick something that you like and look forward to. As soon as you get comfortable though, it is recommended to find a more regimented program that you can follow 🙂

• MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 103 Member
    A personal trainer might be something good to look into. It doesn't have to be a long-term commitment, a lot of gyms will offer one or two sessions with a trainer. They can usually show you how to use the equipment, especially some of the more complicated weight equipment, better than a general employee can and they can help develop a program specifically for you, your abilities, and your goals. You can often even specifically ask for one experienced with people new to or uncomfortable at the gym.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Nobody will care about your weight ;)

If it is new places that make you anxious, the induction should help alleviate that.

I highly recommend you sign up for a few sessions with a personal trainer. You may need to tell them you want to "lift like a man." I still see trainers running women around the gym with Barbie weights.
  • liz60625
    liz60625 Posts: 17 Member
    I joined a gym ages ago and never went. I finally invested in a personal trainer 9 months ago and have loved it. She will tell me what to do on my own, show me how to do things, etc. you can pay for a couple sessions or more but totally worth the investment. She gives me goals and also tracks my progress for me. And shows me how everything works!! Good luck as you start the gym journey!