Knee pain and have a half marathon in five days

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an IT band issue... When I first started running, I had a similar problem that I was able to clear up relatively quickly with some IT exercises - unfortunately, 5 days doesn't sound like enough time.

I suspected IT band as well. Am going to try everything I can, including the exercises and will just have to assess how I feel on Sunday morning. Thanks!

Using the services of "Dr Google" I strongly suspected an IT band issue before a Century ride - turned out it wasn't IT band at all, just a minor but painful issue with the upper attachment point of the soleus muscle and after one session of treatment I was fine to ride with a little discomfort and also reassured I wasn't damaging myself.

Guess that's why good Physios don't rely on Google. :wink:
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh that sucks. I think though that it probably wouldn't be a great idea to run on it. A half is a long way to run when you're in pain (and even when you aren't!)

Rest it, try and get in with your physio - and just be prepared that you might not be doing the race.

A volunteer role is a fab idea though - you'd be right there and helping out the other runners.
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Probably try done icing. Look into KT tape this week and during the event. Their website explains how to use it for different injuries. Be mentally prepared for done walk intervals. Good luck.

Thank you! I've ordered some tape, it's arriving tomorrow so hopefully that will help. Also been icing it and keeping it elevated. Fingers crossed!

• MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Unfortunately things don't typically heal in less than a week. You could try staying off it as much as possible and applying some heat occasionally, but if you've truly suffered an injury best estimate for recovery from most injuries is 4 to 6 weeks.

Am definitely going to rest it. Got a couple suggestions to try but will just have to see how I feel on Sunday. Such a shame, my first proper running injury and I do it just before what would have been my first half marathon!

I was injured two weeks before my first sprint triathlon that I had been training for months for and couldn't participate. It sucked, but at the same time there was a silver lining or two...one, it taught me that I had to manage my training load better and two, I ended up falling in love with cycling during my training.

That was almost 7 years ago. I never did end up doing a sprint tri, but I took up cycling in earnest and raced and participated in numerous cycling events over the next 5 years or so. I'm over the whole race and event thing now and just cycle and mountain bike for fun and fitness...I'll occasionally do a 25 mile road event or something...but moral of the story, it sucks but there will always be future races. Unfortunately, injury comes with the territory of competitive training

Will definitely learn from this - think I was overdoing it because I've been quite nervous about this.

Glad you managed to get something good out of your injury!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    I would try and get in to see a doc if you can. Better to know if there is a major issue that needs addressed that will cause more harm if you push it or not.

Thank you! Trying to get an appointment and will listen to whatever they say. Don't want to cause any serious damage!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Hi,

After a long run a few weeks ago I started suffering knee pain. I rested it for a week and just attempted a run now but it was too painful to go on longer than 10 minutes. It doesn't really hurt when I'm not running, only once I start. It's mainly in my knee but this time the pain started travelling down the outside of my leg.

I have a half marathon on Sunday and I've worked incredibly hard for this so will be so upset if I can't do it. Other than rest, is there anything I can do to try and make it better for Sunday?

Thank you!

Do you have good running shoes?

Edit: I am just reading ur responses of surgery. Best of luck to u

They're Nike (can't remember the name of them) and were pretty expensive so hoping it's not the trainers. Thank you about the surgery. My knee will have plenty of time to recover after that!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Unfortunately things don't typically heal in less than a week. You could try staying off it as much as possible and applying some heat occasionally, but if you've truly suffered an injury best estimate for recovery from most injuries is 4 to 6 weeks.

Am definitely going to rest it. Got a couple suggestions to try but will just have to see how I feel on Sunday. Such a shame, my first proper running injury and I do it just before what would have been my first half marathon!

I was injured two weeks before my first sprint triathlon that I had been training for months for and couldn't participate. It sucked, but at the same time there was a silver lining or two...one, it taught me that I had to manage my training load better and two, I ended up falling in love with cycling during my training.

That was almost 7 years ago. I never did end up doing a sprint tri, but I took up cycling in earnest and raced and participated in numerous cycling events over the next 5 years or so. I'm over the whole race and event thing now and just cycle and mountain bike for fun and fitness...I'll occasionally do a 25 mile road event or something...but moral of the story, it sucks but there will always be future races. Unfortunately, injury comes with the territory of competitive training

Will definitely learn from this - think I was overdoing it because I've been quite nervous about this.

Glad you managed to get something good out of your injury!

If I had just focused on training for the sprint, I likely would have been fine...certainly would have been in a better position to not get injured. I was following a structured training plan for it, so that wasn't really the issue..I was also trying to keep on with my weight lifting and was also dabbling in cyclocross racing on weekends. All in all it was way too much volume of work and I wasn't really taking any recovery days.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    All the running races in our area are being cancelled or postponed. Is your half-marathon still on?