My Fitbit total calories for the day are HUNDREDS below my BMR

Options
I’m really hoping someone has a solution... I have restarted/reset my Fitbit and I’m hoping to not have to factory reset. I’m tall, heavy and EXTREMELY active. My BMR is almost 2000 and with exercise (underestimated at light to moderate activity, but really I’m heavily active) I’m burning a total of around 2400-2600 most days. Consistently I’m losing on 2000 calories. My Fitbit was working according to plan and matching my weight loss and other calculators. All of a sudden it’s showing I’ve only burned 1300 calories BY 5 PM.

I’m about to return this thing. I only got it because it was free through a health insurance program. I’m hoping I don’t have to return it as it was working great before it suddenly started low balling my calories to the extreme.

ALSO I DID CHECK MY STATS. They are correct. What gives? TIA!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    What is it showing at 8:40pm? Is this a case of not synchronizing?

What is it showing on the watch itself? Your fitbit dashboard? Ultimately, if the fitbit is wrong you will end up having to call Fitbit support.

If the synchronization to MFP is wrong, I would suggest waiting a full day (it often fixes itself overnight) or disconnecting from both sides and re-connecting again. However, disconnecting and reconnecting is often the start of a never ending repetition of the process, so it is easier to just let it be for a day or so until it catches up!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I have found Fitbit to be very accurate. Maybe it is just not syncing or is defective somehow. Call the manufacturer.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Did you put a wrong, much lower weight into your fitbit? That would explain the low numbers.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like equipment failure. My suggestion is to contact your insurance company to find out how to get one that works.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have found Fitbit to be very accurate. Maybe it is just not syncing or is defective somehow. Call the manufacturer.

@nooshi713 What model do you have? Also, did you custom set your stride length?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I’m really hoping someone has a solution... I have restarted/reset my Fitbit and I’m hoping to not have to factory reset. I’m tall, heavy and EXTREMELY active. My BMR is almost 2000 and with exercise (underestimated at light to moderate activity, but really I’m heavily active) I’m burning a total of around 2400-2600 most days. Consistently I’m losing on 2000 calories. My Fitbit was working according to plan and matching my weight loss and other calculators. All of a sudden it’s showing I’ve only burned 1300 calories BY 5 PM.

I’m about to return this thing. I only got it because it was free through a health insurance program. I’m hoping I don’t have to return it as it was working great before it suddenly started low balling my calories to the extreme.

ALSO I DID CHECK MY STATS. They are correct. What gives? TIA!!

Here's an issue that occurred few years ago - of course it was system wide issue so effects hundreds of people that happened to update within a certain window.

But perhaps bug started again and effected you because you recently changed weight.

Your physical stats are converted to metric so they can be used in all the formula's going on within the device.

Your setting of US or metric merely converts or not for display to you.

They had an issue where the weight in pounds was not converted, but straight copied as kg, causing opposite issue of way too much calorie burn. Math worked out perfectly and proved what happened.

Height did not seem to have the same issue at that time - but there's been a time or two where the math seemed to indicate they had a day's worth of issue on that.

Fix after they fixed their end was to re-enter weight in kg, sync device since that's where the math is done first, then switch back and re-enter in pounds.

May be something similar, perhaps with height.
    One little issue of failure to call a subroutine is all it takes on an update.
    And as soon as device has new figure, it's very happy to keep using it.

If you don't use metric, perhaps enter stats as metric correctly converted, and sync and use for a day and see if it looks better.
  • nooshi713
    Options
    beulah81 wrote: »

I have a Zip and I did not customize my stride length. Maybe I should though.
  • Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OMG GUYS... I found the problem..... I am shocked how stupid it is. So I had put my birthdate in accurately. For whatever reason Fitbit listed me as “women in 30-39 age range” which I’m clearly not as I’m in my 20s. I moved the birth date back a couple months to test it out and boom... my calorie count went up hundreds... I am actually kind of mad? Like I’m happy I fixed it but I’m confused. Would a woman 10 years older than me (all other things being equal) really burn SEVEN HUNDRED less calories? With the same muscle mass and the same height and weight?! That’s insane. I will respond to posts now and thanks to everyone for commenting!!
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Did you put a wrong, much lower weight into your fitbit? That would explain the low numbers.

Nope I put my high weight :)
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

What is it showing on the watch itself? Your fitbit dashboard? Ultimately, if the fitbit is wrong you will end up having to call Fitbit support.

If the synchronization to MFP is wrong, I would suggest waiting a full day (it often fixes itself overnight) or disconnecting from both sides and re-connecting again. However, disconnecting and reconnecting is often the start of a never ending repetition of the process, so it is easier to just let it be for a day or so until it catches up!

It was showing like 1500 TOTAL calories for the day. My BMR is about 1900 because I’m tall, fat, young and I walk like 10 miles a day plus workouts. It was insane lol
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    I mean my BMR is 1900 my TDEE is around 2500.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

@Privatesandbank I apologise, I don't mean to take over your thread. I have one more question.
    @nooshi713 Thank you so much! I also have a Zip. I know you're maintaining. So, when you say yours is very accurate, do you mean you eat 100% of Fitbit's adjustments and maintain?
  • nooshi713
    Options

@Privatesandbank I apologise, I don't mean to take over your thread. I have one more question.
    @nooshi713 Thank you so much! I also have a Zip. I know you're maintaining. So, when you say yours is very accurate, do you mean you eat 100% of Fitbit's adjustments and maintain?

Yes. I do know that Fitbit gives me less calories than MFP does. MFP overestimates my calorie burn. Fitbit is pretty spot on.

• heybales
    edited March 2020
    Options
    OMG GUYS... I found the problem..... I am shocked how stupid it is. So I had put my birthdate in accurately. For whatever reason Fitbit listed me as “women in 30-39 age range” which I’m clearly not as I’m in my 20s. I moved the birth date back a couple months to test it out and boom... my calorie count went up hundreds... I am actually kind of mad? Like I’m happy I fixed it but I’m confused. Would a woman 10 years older than me (all other things being equal) really burn SEVEN HUNDRED less calories? With the same muscle mass and the same height and weight?! That’s insane. I will respond to posts now and thanks to everyone for commenting!!

They don't know muscle mass. Only gender, age, weight, height needed for formulas.

There are assumptions built into the formulas about muscle mass.

And no - 10 yrs difference should only be about 50-75 calories per formula depending on BMR or TDEE figure - so there is something else going on with those settings.

Or you are reading some other value that is displayed besides what you have burned in total.

If merely changing the DOB made this change instantly - then I think you are looking at something else.

Because the BMR based on those stats is used on the device for everything it calculates BEFORE it syncs it up to your account - where you were making changes of DOB.

Where is the field you are reading for calories, and what is it called exactly?

You should get a screen shot and include here.

• yirara
    Options

It was showing like 1500 TOTAL calories for the day. My BMR is about 1900 because I’m tall, fat, young and I walk like 10 miles a day plus workouts. It was insane lol

Yeah, tell me about it. The average TDEE calculator gives me a measly 1540kcal per day because I'm quite a bit past 40. Well, getting close to 50. My actual TDEE is around 1850 though (yeah, I'm an office plant). My Fitbit only kind of works for me because I have a high maxHR and a rather low minHR, and this stupid thing gives me much higher calorie burns, thinking I'm super active when I just get up to get a fresh cut of tea :D
  • heybales
    Options

Yeah, tell me about it. The average TDEE calculator gives me a measly 1540kcal per day because I'm quite a bit past 40. Well, getting close to 50. My actual TDEE is around 1850 though (yeah, I'm an office plant). My Fitbit only kind of works for me because I have a high maxHR and a rather low minHR, and this stupid thing gives me much higher calorie burns, thinking I'm super active when I just get up to get a fresh cut of tea :D

You might test as others have if it's really HR causing that - just have a day of normal activity (planned) and disable HR readings for work and see how it compares to other days.
    You can create an Activity Record for each day's chunk of matching time, and compare all the stats.

It's not supposed to slip into HR-based calorie burn unless a workout is going on, and auto-starting a workout isn't supposed to happen without increased HR and steps for a minimum amount of time (don't recall what it is now).
    Plus a workout would show up under exercise if that was done.
  • yirara
    Options
    as soon as hr gets tracked i get crazy burns, like 300cal for 30 minutes walking. The burns are also massive when I’m at the office and get up to get a tea every now and then, but low when I just sit around and forget about the tea.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    as soon as hr gets tracked i get crazy burns, like 300cal for 30 minutes walking. The burns are also massive when I’m at the office and get up to get a tea every now and then, but low when I just sit around and forget about the tea.

@yirara: Does your particular Fitbit model not let you set a custom HRmax, and/or track your HRmin? This is a sincere question. I have a HRmax substantially but not astronomically higher than 220-age, and a reasonably low but not rare HRmin. (Age 64, HRmax around 180 (vs 156), HRmin usually high 40s/low 50s.) With these stats, which it knows, my Garmin model (Vivoactive 3) underestimates my TDEE routinely by several hundred calories. Your HRmax/min may be much more unusual, so I'm curious about how that affects accuracy for various devices.

OP, I know this is a digression: I hope you'll forgive me.
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

@yirara: Does your particular Fitbit model not let you set a custom HRmax, and/or track your HRmin? This is a sincere question. I have a HRmax substantially but not astronomically higher than 220-age, and a reasonably low but not rare HRmin. (Age 64, HRmax around 180 (vs 156), HRmin usually high 40s/low 50s.) With these stats, which it knows, my Garmin model (Vivoactive 3) underestimates my TDEE routinely by several hundred calories. Your HRmax/min may be much more unusual, so I'm curious about how that affects accuracy for various devices.

OP, I know this is a digression: I hope you'll forgive me.

yes, my min/maxHR are unusual. The max is probably just over 3 std.dev away from 220-age. It's set in fitbit. But Fitbit doesn't seem to honour it if 220-age makes you a 10 year old and you say you're over 40. Sounds like a logical dilemma :D:D My HR min is around 55-50. I went to a stroll in the woods today and got 1000kcal for walking 10km in flat terrain with lots of stops (I was geocaching). I know it's gross calories, but it's still ridiculous :D But on the other hand the total kind of works on normal office days, and underestimates at completely sedentary weekend days. Actually, the workout cals aren't too bad if I delete the autolog and log manually. It's possible that fitbit ignores HR data then and goes with something like distance*weight*0.3 for walking/hiking and distance*weight*0.67 for running (all imperial).
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    Guys idk what to do I’m about to smash this thing. Now it’s broken again... it’s saying 1200 calorie burn TOTAL including exercise and BMR (my bmr is minimum 1600) for the whole day... it’s wildly inaccurate. I’m going to be returning it :(