Question for self professed "sugar addicts"

Options

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Soooooo... I eat fruit inbetween meals to help with my massive appetite. Two apples, a banana, and an orange a day..

OMGGG I'M A SUGAR ADDICT.

:sad:

And probably profoundly regular!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're right, I don't know - I just see an addiction to sugar an impossibility.

If you do not believe in a psychological addiction to eating, what do you think of psychological addictions to gambling?

I've never thought of this angle before but you're absolutely right.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Alan Marlatt did a number of studies on Harm Reduction in people with alcohol addiction.

http://www.thecleanslate.org/alcoholics-anonymous-increases-binge-drinking-brandsma-study

He found that people who bought into the disease theory of alcoholism of total abstinence {that is one drink will lead to an all out binge] did just that. When they slipped they binged. Whereas using a cognitive behavioral technique they cycled out of a relapse without the need for the binge. He was big on using mindfulness meditation techniques for people with addiction.

He developed a technique called Urge Surfing: A friend of mine used this technique to quit smoking and was very successful.

How Mindfulness makes the brain immune to temptation or Surfing the Urge. I have thought of using it for eating.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201111/how-mindfulness-makes-the-brain-immune-temptation

Before the torture test, half of the smokers had received a brief training in a technique called "surfing the urge." [Click here to learn the full technique yourself from Bowen.] Bowen explained to the smokers that urges always pass eventually, whether or not you give in to them. When they felt a strong craving, they should imagine the urge as a wave in the ocean. It would build in intensity, but ultimately crash and dissolve. The smokers were to picture themselves riding the wave, not fighting it but also not giving in to it. They were instructed to pay close attention to the urge to smoke, without trying to change it or get rid of it. What thoughts were going through their mind? What did the urge feel like in the body?

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the Wikipedia citation. It's user-generated content, and there are no citations there for the list of addictions.

I used Wikipedia because it was easy. There are many sources you can go find yourself by googling on "food addiction".

Also if you follow the wikipedia link on Food Addiction, there are additional citations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_addiction
    Food addiction, to me, is a fallacy. I come from a family of addicts. I just cannot get on-board with being "addicted" to something every human needs to stay alive. I have depression and anxiety disorder, and I used to use "comfort food" as a way to take my mind off of my issues, so I can understand that, for sure, but it's not an addiction.

In terms of staying on-track with the OP's question, I don't think sugar addiction is a thing, either. Cravings =/= addiction.

Cravings are not addiction. But uncontrollable cravings may be an addiction.

And folks, this may not be a chemical addiction like, say, nicotine. I don't think sugar causes a chemical addiction, but rather a psychological addiction. Now to be sure, all addictions are chemical addictions, as they are caused by changes in brain chemistry.

But sugar is not addictive in the way that, say, nicotine is addictive. Rather food is addictive in the way that, say, gambling is addictive.

Basically, anything pleasurable can lead to addiction.

If you provide me with a citation, I shouldn't have to Google the term you're using the citation for.

I still can't get on-board with sugar addiction or food addiction. Sugar is in a lot of natural foods, and you need food to stay alive.

There are a lot of arguments to be made for psychological dependencies, but it is my opinion (as someone who has many), that most psychological cravings are indicative of something OTHER than what the dependency is.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. How come hardly anyone has answered OP's question? I, too, am a little concerned as to how someone with a so-called addiction to sugar can eat fruit. Fructose and glucose bonded make sucrose (table sugar). Last I checked, fruit naturally has fructose AND glucose. So...... please someone explain the difference and do not revert to a "clean eating" argument?

Before anyone misinterprets what I'm saying, I'm not saying fruit is inherently bad. I'm just asking why, if someone is addicted to the actual ingredient (sugar), are they able to eat... well, sugar, but in fruit?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. How come hardly anyone has answered OP's question? I, too, am a little concerned as to how someone with a so-called addiction to sugar can eat fruit. Fructose and glucose bonded make sucrose (table sugar). Last I checked, fruit naturally has fructose AND glucose. So...... please someone explain the difference and do not revert to a "clean eating" argument?

Before anyone misinterprets what I'm saying, I'm not saying fruit is inherently bad. I'm just asking why, if someone is addicted to the actual ingredient (sugar), are they able to eat... well, sugar, but in fruit?

This is the point, they can't answer it because they're making this addiction up.
  • highervibes
    Options

It must be a psychological thing? I know a guy that's an alcoholic and he could drink 24 beers in one night. If we were out to dinner he wouldn't touch the wine... so is he REALLY an alocoholic? He's capable from abstaining from the types of alcohol he doesn't like, so maybe in some way shape or form ALL addictions have a psychological element?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't get in to all the details, I just know that there are highly sweet things out there that I either have to avoid or be careful how I eat them. I don't see it as comparable to other addictions because it's just a simple terminology to explain something that strikes me as a lot more complicated.

A very reasonable response. Knowing your body and your reactions to food is more important than the words you use to describe it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

You are, in fact, completely unconcerned with this matter, and looking to stir up some **** on the internets (like the OP).
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

This is the point, they can't answer it because they're making this addiction up.

I honestly don't think that they're making up the compulsion to eat sugary foods. It just annoys me that they use broscience to justify it and then go and eat exactly what their addiction is supposedly made of because it's "natural."
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options

The difference (for me) is that I can eat fruits that have a low glycemic index as they do not affect my insulin levels and cause dangerously low blood sugar and a subsequent craving for more sugar.
  • highervibes
    Options

The difference (for me) is that I can eat fruits that have a low glycemic index as they do not affect my insulin levels and cause dangerously low blood sugar and a subsequent craving for more sugar.

I can appreciate this argument.
  • bcattoes
    Options

There are alcoholics that can drink in moderation. It takes time to get to the point and not all can do, but it can be done. I have a friend who is an alcoholic. Court ordered rehab, job loss, hospitalizations, the whole shebang. He now occasionally drinks bourbon because he doesn't really like bourbon. He also only drinks top shelf so that cost becomes a limitation. But he hasn't had a beer in over a decade because he knows he can't / won't stop after just a few.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a sugar addict BUT my sugar content is always very high because I eat a lot of fruit. I just don't know enough healthy meals yet to take them out. THey are fine eating plain and all ... veggies i eat plain too but i don't really know many recipes yet lol
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I'm not really a sugar addict BUT my sugar content is always very high because I eat a lot of fruit. I just don't know enough healthy meals yet to take them out. THey are fine eating plain and all ... veggies i eat plain too but i don't really know many recipes yet lol

Doesn't matter if your sugar content is high, its irrelevant to anything. Don't need to remove it from your diet if you like it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

I honestly don't think that they're making up the compulsion to eat sugary foods. It just annoys me that they use broscience to justify it and then go and eat exactly what their addiction is supposedly made of because it's "natural."

I think the thing is that people just don't know why eating fruit doesn't effect them in the same way having something 'bad' that is sugary does. Maybe there is something about the natural component that does matter.

Which is not to say that some people aren't making excuses, just that those that aren't really don't understand why the difference exists, just that it does.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I think the thing is that people just don't know why eating fruit doesn't effect them in the same way having something 'bad' that is sugary does. Maybe there is something about the natural component that does matter.

Which is not to say that some people aren't making excuses, just that those that aren't really don't understand why the difference exists, just that it does.

I'd guess simply taste?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't Like the term "food addict" funny how people who say they are food addicts only seem out of control around sugary crap, junk food. No one gorges themselves on celery....

But as was posted above, people do gorge themselves on non-sugary foods. For the lady above, it was carrots.

But for most of us, natural foods just aren't as addictive to eat, because they simply aren't nearly as pleasurable to eat.
    I will buy the concept of sugar addiction as valid when you admit that you have exchanged sexual favors with a complete stranger you met in the grocery store because he bought you 5 packages of Oreos.

I don't think you will find many cigarette addicts resorting to prostitution to buy cigarettes. But nicotine addiction is definitely a real addiction, don't you agree?

As has been pointed out already, there are many high-functioning addicts. You don't have to resort to prostitution to be addicted to something.
    Gambling is another thing I personally can't compare.

Gambling = an outcome of possible winnings.

Eating too much food = outcome of turning into a whale.

Nothing good comes from the latter.

Nothing good comes from blowing your family's entire life savings on gambling, either, but it happens with addicts.

You do agree that gambling addition is a real addiction, right?
    If you provide me with a citation, I shouldn't have to Google the term you're using the citation for.

I have provided two citations already. If you want more, you will have to go find them yourself.
    I still can't get on-board with sugar addiction or food addiction. Sugar is in a lot of natural foods, and you need food to stay alive.

There are a lot of arguments to be made for psychological dependencies, but it is my opinion (as someone who has many), that most psychological cravings are indicative of something OTHER than what the dependency is.

Again, understand, I don't think it is the chemical of sugar that is addicting. Sugar is not like nicotine. Food addiction is not a physiological addiction. It is a behavioral addiction - just like gambling is.

Sugar is in lots of natural foods, but those natural foods generally aren't nearly as pleasurable to eat as, say, a cookie. Consequently, they are not nearly as likely to cause a behavioral addiction, any more than smacking yourself with a hammer is likely to cause an addiction to that kind of behavior.

In order for a behavior to be addictive, it has to be pleasurable.
    I'm confused. How come hardly anyone has answered OP's question? I, too, am a little concerned as to how someone with a so-called addiction to sugar can eat fruit.

Because people are getting confused here between physiological addictions (like nicotine) and behavioral addictions (like gambling).

Sugar may not be physiologically addictive. However, like the CNN Health article I cited shows, there was a study that showed that the higher-glycemic shakes triggered an addiction response more than a lower-glycemic shake that tasted the same.

Are people with gambling addictions making it up?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Doesn't matter if your sugar content is high, its irrelevant to anything. Don't need to remove it from your diet if you like it.

Nonsense
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Nonsense

Ok, tell me why that is non-sense, give it your best shot!