Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth by Armi Legge

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I have friends from diverse backgrounds who eat clean 95% (I am probably at 80-simply because I cook a ton, love farmer's markets and ancient grains, but I use white flour upon occasion, as well as the devil wheat thins or ruffles when weakened), and my observation is you could pick a clean eater out of a group of same aged women and men because their hair and skin without makeup looks a lot better than a same weight, fitness level mac n cheese and lean cuisine and weight watchers packaged this and a can of soup that eater. When I cleaned up my eating to the level I am at currently my hair w/in a month started shining so much that friends would ask if I'd started using a gloss. As far as weight loss, I agree 100% that clean eating will not surpass other plans, but I think the external evidence of good health and vibrancy far exceeds any needed arguing about there being benefits to a plan involving highly nutritious foods from honored farming practices vs antibiotic filled meats and dairy, major chain agriculture w/toxins sprayed haphazardly across the land, and plants that are unable to reproduce. It is MUCH harder to clean up one's eating, and it is not for everyone as it is HARDER, but it shouldn't be vilified.

Hair and skin health and beauty comes from adequate intake of dietary fats, especially essential fatty acids. Has nothing to do with eating processed foods or not
  • jomiley23
    Options
    That's a pretty good take on it. I strive to eat well, eat a lot of foods as close to their natural state as possible, but I also don't worry about having a sandwich every once in a while, or splurging on ice cream every few weeks.

I am for Paleo but I will eat beans. I'm probably on plan 75-80% of the time.

Very few people can be super-anal about an eating plan and not get sick of it eventually We all know how to eat well and how to control our calorie intake. We just need to do it in a way that we can maintain on a consistent basis without feeling deprived.
    [/quote]

I think the Practical Paleo plan suggests that you stay on it 85% of the time. Like you said, that way it is sustainable. You can attend a birthday party without being a rude idiot over eating cake. I have had the best success with this way of eating, and I can see myself continuing that way. I feel better eating more unrefined foods, so I try to as much as possible. But I am also paying some attention to my macros, especially on the days I am off of the Paleo plan, so I never go too far off track. Balance, people.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have friends from diverse backgrounds who eat clean 95% (I am probably at 80-simply because I cook a ton, love farmer's markets and ancient grains, but I use white flour upon occasion, as well as the devil wheat thins or ruffles when weakened), and my observation is you could pick a clean eater out of a group of same aged women and men because their hair and skin without makeup looks a lot better than a same weight, fitness level mac n cheese and lean cuisine and weight watchers packaged this and a can of soup that eater. When I cleaned up my eating to the level I am at currently my hair w/in a month started shining so much that friends would ask if I'd started using a gloss. As far as weight loss, I agree 100% that clean eating will not surpass other plans, but I think the external evidence of good health and vibrancy far exceeds any needed arguing about there being benefits to a plan involving highly nutritious foods from honored farming practices vs antibiotic filled meats and dairy, major chain agriculture w/toxins sprayed haphazardly across the land, and plants that are unable to reproduce. It is MUCH harder to clean up one's eating, and it is not for everyone as it is HARDER, but it shouldn't be vilified.

Hair and skin health and beauty comes from adequate intake of dietary fats, especially essential fatty acids. Has nothing to do with eating processed foods or not

It also comes from genetics and other lifestyle habits.

416859_239522249465873_537117355_n.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in...for the *kitten* storm....
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    From the article: "The biggest problem with the idea of “clean eating” is that “clean” has no objective definition."

Seems to me this is the crux of the discussion. Everyone's definition is different. There's a little bit of clean eating = weight loss in the article which I dont think is true in the least or I wouldn't be on MFP!
    I do think that health is such a complicated combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that for most people who eat a varied diet it's only part of the equation.

For me, it's not "clean" eating I'm interested in, it's good eating. A fresh vegetable from my own garden = good eating and would be "clean" I think in most people's definition. A grass fed beef steak or chicken from the local guy, or eggs from the lady up the road, just taste better. Even if they do no harm when consumed, I can't figure out why products like yogurt, sour cream and peanut butter need so many emulsifiers added, so I choose not to buy things with additives most of the time. To each their own.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.

what was the life span of the average hunter gatherer vs today...?
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Life without copious amounts of cheese isn't worth living. That's all I need to know about diet.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to save for later
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Moderation in all things. . . . .
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Armi does his homework and presents things in an easy to consume manner. Smart kid.

He also has a podcast: Impruvism Radio
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.

I know, there was not medical technology like there is today. You got sick you died. Not now. Health can be defined in a lot of different ways, I was focusing on obesity=processed food debate only. Which I don't necessarily believe, because again, you can eat "bad" stuff in moderation and still have good health.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Armi Legge

So... no one else is going to comment on this name?
  • Pmscur
    Pmscur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    "Who me?" ....Nothing, I'm just sitting here.
    Carry on....
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "clean eating" has so many different definitions. I prefer "whole foods". I choose to stick with fresh meats, veggies and fruits. The vitamins and minerals I'm supposedly losing by not eating grains are more than made up with all the extra fruits and veggies I can eat now that I'm not consuming 500+ calories in processed bready stuff. ;)

I've lost 50 lbs and feel amazing - strong, energetic, capable, no longer depressed/anxious.

That being said, his name sounds like a complete joke.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I know, there was not medical technology like there is today. You got sick you died. Not now. Health can be defined in a lot of different ways, I was focusing on obesity=processed food debate only. Which I don't necessarily believe, because again, you can eat "bad" stuff in moderation and still have good health.
    A lot of the clean eating movement claims if you eat that way you don't get sick ever. So ...

Either way, what they ate had little to do with their lack of obesity. As has been stated, it was all about calories in vs. calories out, even then.
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    From the article: "The biggest problem with the idea of “clean eating” is that “clean” has no objective definition."

Seems to me this is the crux of the discussion. Everyone's definition is different. There's a little bit of clean eating = weight loss in the article which I dont think is true in the least or I wouldn't be on MFP!
    I do think that health is such a complicated combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that for most people who eat a varied diet it's only part of the equation.

For me, it's not "clean" eating I'm interested in, it's good eating. A fresh vegetable from my own garden = good eating and would be "clean" I think in most people's definition. A grass fed beef steak or chicken from the local guy, or eggs from the lady up the road, just taste better. Even if they do no harm when consumed, I can't figure out why products like yogurt, sour cream and peanut butter need so many emulsifiers added, so I choose not to buy things with additives most of the time. To each their own.

^This.
  • jenn26point2
    Options

A lot of the clean eating movement claims if you eat that way you don't get sick ever. So ...

Either way, what they ate had little to do with their lack of obesity. As has been stated, it was all about calories in vs. calories out, even then.

I haven't been sick once in the last two years... coincidentally, I switched to unprocessed foods (i.e. paleo) two years ago. My husband, however, who still eats a standard American diet has missed a lot of work over the last two years for illnesses - vomiting, digestive issues, fever. I've not had a single cold. I'm a believer based on experience.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that the photo of Nigella has had some major airbrushing.

Ultimately, it is calories.

When my calories more than not come from green veggies, low starch veggies, beans, fruit, whole gluten free grains, I feel terrific, it is easy to keep my calories at the desired level and my complexion is clear.

I wish everyone success on whatever path they are following.