Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth by Armi Legge

Options

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Armi Legge

So... no one else is going to comment on this name?

I'm not sure what his name has to do with anything. He's 18 years old. That's what his parents named him. It's Scottish.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Armi Legge is great...one of my favorite "newer" fitness people I have discovered.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Why "healthy" is a Myth: people disagree on the definition of "healthy".

Why "strong" is a Myth: people disagree on the definition of "strong".

I like the guy's catch all - use "common sense" and you'll be ok. Oh yeah, and you might have different needs if you're doing different things. So be sure to satisfy your needs. Oh and if you have a metabolic disorder, you may need to avoid some foods. And hey look here are a bunch of links not exactly saying what I say they say in my 3-word summary, but whatever.

Now back to eating whatever you feel is right for you, because there are a hundred articles supporting whatever you choose.

Yikes, that is what you took away from that article? That's a shame.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I like the guy's catch all - use "common sense" and you'll be ok. Oh yeah, and you might have different needs if you're doing different things. So be sure to satisfy your needs. Oh and if you have a metabolic disorder, you may need to avoid some foods. And hey look here are a bunch of links not exactly saying what I say they say in my 3-word summary, but whatever.

Now back to eating whatever you feel is right for you, because there are a hundred articles supporting whatever you choose.

15q84df.gif
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "...Empower yourself with knowledge, backed up by science and turn a deaf ear to all the nonsensical noise. And for goodness sake, read Armi's blog. You'll learn a thing or two!...

...But,the only way to make an educated decision is listen, learn and then make up your mind."

A little self-righteous, don't you think? Did you intend to come off that way?

Anyway...

I've done an inordinate amount of research on diet, so I feel really well-informed when I say that I mostly agree with what Armi says. I think it's definitely a calories in v. calories out scenario and that a calorie is a calorie. EVERY time I've lost weight was through limiting my calories, whether it be via Atkins, weight loss medicines, or good old fashioned calorie counting/monitoring portions.

However, I can't say that a Little Debbie cake is just as nutritious as fruits or nuts. I think the key to it all is not to deprive yourself, but count your calories/mind your portions.

Personally, I have a tendency towards exhibiting symptoms of hypoglycemia, so, for me, I WILL classify cookies, cokes, candy bars, etc. as "empty calories," because I will end up eating more calories (in protein/fat) to counterbalance the effects of the sugar over load. That's not to say I don't eat these things, because I totally do...I just eat them in smaller portions paired with a protein/fat.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of French Women Don't Get Fat, and, while I KNOW they DO get fat and that the book is totally gimmicky, it gave me back the freedom to eat butter, cheese, nuts, and have my cake without the guilt. Well-balanced, mostly whole foods is the way for ME to go. I eat a wide variety of foods and am MUCH happier for it.

So, yeah. I'll mostly agree with Armi.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

15q84df.gif

^^This! LOL!
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    If we're going to talk about health and looks...

I am also a very healthy person. Very rarely have even a cold and my blood work is all within normal ranges. This despite being classified as obese since I was in my 20's. So genetics has a lot to do with it. And sleep and managing stress, etc...

In regards to looks, again...also hugely determined by genetics and environmental exposures. If you look at my profile picture, my hair is shiny, my skin is clear but my chest shows the effects of too much sun. It is what it is. I live life which includes a lot of time spent outdoors. I'm 52 and I think I look okay :)

It was my over consumption of CALORIES, that caused my obesity. My diet, typical of most Americans, was a mix of fast food, restaurant meals, frozen dinners and meals prepared at home with fresh ingredients. I will admit that giving up on the low fat craze and adding olive oil, coconut oil, whole eggs, cheese and avocados to my diet certainly makes me happier and may contribute to healthy looking hair and skin. Well, except for the sun damage which no amount of clean, pure food is ever going to fix.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Yikes, that is what you took away from that article? That's a shame.

He provides zero information that isn't commonly and profusely dispersed in these forums every single day. A whole lot of text arguing in circles with himself, when his basic concept is extremely simple and simplistic.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have friends from diverse backgrounds who eat clean 95% (I am probably at 80-simply because I cook a ton, love farmer's markets and ancient grains, but I use white flour upon occasion, as well as the devil wheat thins or ruffles when weakened), and my observation is you could pick a clean eater out of a group of same aged women and men because their hair and skin without makeup looks a lot better than a same weight, fitness level mac n cheese and lean cuisine and weight watchers packaged this and a can of soup that eater. When I cleaned up my eating to the level I am at currently my hair w/in a month started shining so much that friends would ask if I'd started using a gloss. As far as weight loss, I agree 100% that clean eating will not surpass other plans, but I think the external evidence of good health and vibrancy far exceeds any needed arguing about there being benefits to a plan involving highly nutritious foods from honored farming practices vs antibiotic filled meats and dairy, major chain agriculture w/toxins sprayed haphazardly across the land, and plants that are unable to reproduce. It is MUCH harder to clean up one's eating, and it is not for everyone as it is HARDER, but it shouldn't be vilified.

Hair and skin health and beauty comes from adequate intake of dietary fats, especially essential fatty acids. Has nothing to do with eating processed foods or not

It also comes from genetics and other lifestyle habits.

416859_239522249465873_537117355_n.jpg
    genetics do play a role but that photo is an unfair example
    i googled gillian mckeith and found her story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1021669/Food-guru-Gillian-McKeith-reveals-agony-deformed-back.html
    it wasnt until she was almost 40 when she changed her diet
    shame on ppl who make photos like that to prove a point
    and nutella lawson is a tv chef... do ppl really think she cooks that stuff at home everyday?
    what kind of chef doesnt go through a lot of produce
    i hate how everything is looked at in extremes and the finer details are bypassed
    ppl assuming ms lawson eating nothing but butter and desserts and gillian keith eating organic her entire life

Nobody assumes she eats nothing but butter and desserts. YOU are the one looking at everything in extremes if you somehow assume that that graphic is claiming Nigella Lawson eats ONLY butter and desserts. She is a TV chef who specializes in desserts. Clearly she eats a lot of that kind of food, but a reasonable person would also assume that she eats meat and fruit and vegetables as well.

The point is that the condition of your hair and skin has more to do with your genes, your hygiene habits, and your overall lifestyle than what you eat.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    "...Empower yourself with knowledge, backed up by science and turn a deaf ear to all the nonsensical noise. And for goodness sake, read Armi's blog. You'll learn a thing or two!...

...But,the only way to make an educated decision is listen, learn and then make up your mind."

A little self-righteous, don't you think? Did you intend to come off that way?

Wow. I'm sorry that's the impression you got. I simply meant that people need to do a little research and not believe everything they read in Self magazine. There are so many posters on here that don't know the first thing about diet and nutrition because unlike you, they have not done any research. Hell, they won't even read the stickies to see if their question has already been answered 10 million times.

I see nothing wrong with encouraging people to read and learn. Perhaps this being words on a screen, you didn't see the grin on my face when I typed that.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    I have friends from diverse backgrounds who eat clean 95% (I am probably at 80-simply because I cook a ton, love farmer's markets and ancient grains, but I use white flour upon occasion, as well as the devil wheat thins or ruffles when weakened), and my observation is you could pick a clean eater out of a group of same aged women and men because their hair and skin without makeup looks a lot better than a same weight, fitness level mac n cheese and lean cuisine and weight watchers packaged this and a can of soup that eater. When I cleaned up my eating to the level I am at currently my hair w/in a month started shining so much that friends would ask if I'd started using a gloss. As far as weight loss, I agree 100% that clean eating will not surpass other plans, but I think the external evidence of good health and vibrancy far exceeds any needed arguing about there being benefits to a plan involving highly nutritious foods from honored farming practices vs antibiotic filled meats and dairy, major chain agriculture w/toxins sprayed haphazardly across the land, and plants that are unable to reproduce. It is MUCH harder to clean up one's eating, and it is not for everyone as it is HARDER, but it shouldn't be vilified.

Hair and skin health and beauty comes from adequate intake of dietary fats, especially essential fatty acids. Has nothing to do with eating processed foods or not

It also comes from genetics and other lifestyle habits.

416859_239522249465873_537117355_n.jpg
    genetics do play a role but that photo is an unfair example
    i googled gillian mckeith and found her story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1021669/Food-guru-Gillian-McKeith-reveals-agony-deformed-back.html
    it wasnt until she was almost 40 when she changed her diet
    shame on ppl who make photos like that to prove a point
    and nutella lawson is a tv chef... do ppl really think she cooks that stuff at home everyday?
    what kind of chef doesnt go through a lot of produce
    i hate how everything is looked at in extremes and the finer details are bypassed
    ppl assuming ms lawson eating nothing but butter and desserts and gillian keith eating organic her entire life

Nobody assumes she eats nothing but butter and desserts. YOU are the one looking at everything in extremes if you somehow assume that that graphic is claiming Nigella Lawson eats ONLY butter and desserts. She is a TV chef who specializes in desserts. Clearly she eats a lot of that kind of food, but a reasonable person would also assume that she eats meat and fruit and vegetables as well.

The point is that the condition of your hair and skin has more to do with your genes, your hygiene habits, and your overall lifestyle than what you eat.
    than just say that
    no need to propogandize the subject with that graphic
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, he is correct that "clean eating" has lost it's meaning. Clean eating not a new concept. It's been around for ages. And at one time, it had a specific meaning.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In to read later.

Same here.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    And in regards to not getting sick, no way as long as there are viruses and bacteria, I don't care how much of a health nut you are your gonna get sick sometimes.

I don't get sick. I really don't. I think it's because I'm not a germaphobe and I'm not afraid to touch bathroom doors and stuff. Last week, my boss came to my desk and desperately asked if I was sick because all but two other people in my department were sick.

When the BF gets sick, I don't catch it. When my daughter gets sick, I don't catch it.

I've been this way for a good 10-plus years. I don't know why. My diet has cleaned up in the last five or six years, but before that I really ate like crap, though of course I think nearly everyone eats some fruits and veggies.

I agree about nutrients being important, but you get them from many sources. I doubt anyone ONLY eats food devoid of nutrition. You would die.

Pretty much same here regarding illnesses. I very rarely get sick ... only exception was needing an appendix ripped out this year, and that kicked my butt for 3 months. I'm not afraid to touch "dirty" things, not afraid to go near sick people, and am definitely not afraid to take advantage of the "5 second rule". My parents weren't afraid to let me play and eat dirt as a kid, either. Too much germaphobia can lead to a really crappy immune system because it doesn't know how to handle stuff.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

Probably not, but not because of what they ate or didn't eat. It was more about availability and the physical exertion necessary to acquire food at all.

Yep. They were walking all the damn time.

Wait...they didn't have cars back then? Bummer, dude.

ever seen the flinstones? Of course they had cars back then...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.

There weren't many overweight folks when I was a kid in the 60's. And we ate high carb, high sugar diets. And lots of processed foods including cake and mac-n-cheese. But we moved a lot more. A LOT more.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The author says: "There’s no way to define clean eating, which means there’s no way to measure or quantify what effect this concept might have on your health. There’s also no way to objectively compare a “clean diet” to other diets."

Essentially, "clean eating" means different things to different people. So why not LET IT mean different things to different people.

Isn't "I've been eating clean for two weeks and I feel good" easier than saying "For two weeks I've been making food choices that I believe to be beneficial to my weight and/or my health." ? Remember, we're not allowed to call it a "diet" anymore because we want it to be a sustainable "lifestyle change". We're running low on efficient ways to describe the difference between living up to the standards of the eating plan we believe is healthy vs. ignoring those standards.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

Probably not, but not because of what they ate or didn't eat. It was more about availability and the physical exertion necessary to acquire food at all.

Yep. They were walking all the damn time.

Wait...they didn't have cars back then? Bummer, dude.

ever seen the flinstones? Of course they had cars back then...

But you had to use your feet to make it go. The invention of the car engine is what started the obesity epidemic.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't believe clean eating is a myth for everyone. I also don't think it is necessary for everyone. Everybody is different. I feel my best when I eat foods from nature and not processed foods. It isn't always about calories - you can lose weight eating processed food too. I feel so much more satisfied when I eat clean. Since switching my eating, I have also gotten rid of anxiety and depression, cleared up all of my eczema, and have way more energy.

That being said, I know it is not for everyone and even I have a 'cheat' every once in awhile. It is about finding the lifestyle that works for you and you can see yourself following for the long haul.

Wait...what the...are you implying that different things may work for different people? :indifferent:
    The shock. The horror. Reported for being divisive. :laugh:
    Stop that. That makes too much sense.