lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We're going on a lot more walks and I'm getting more rides in than I otherwise would if I was at the office. ; My oldest just turned 10 yesterday and we and other family pitched in on a trampoline that arrived last week just in time for this...so we're jumping in the afternoon as part of the kids' scheduled fresh air/exercise time. I'm actually getting in more exercise and activity than I otherwise would sitting in my office all day and having a 2 hour daily commute.

Yeah, I should have extra time in the morning and evening without the commute, but I also get a pretty nice walk to and from the L normally which I will have to replace.

Morning walk is how I get my kids started for their daily schedule. They usually start school at 8:45 so we're letting them just kind of chill out until around 9 before getting them into the daily routine.

I've been starting work at around 6:30 and go until 9. Then we all take an hour long walk together. 10-11am is academic time for them...11-noon is creative time. 12-12:30 is lunch....12:30-1 is chore time (they've been wiping down door handles and such and keeping their rooms and playroom picked up). 1-2:30 is quiet time...they've either been reading or watching national geographic type of stuff on t.v. 2:30-4 is academic time again and 4-5 is another round of fresh air/exercise time. Depending on where I'm at with my work, I'll join them for a bit on the trampoline. Usually take out for a ride at 5.

This is great. I think having a schedule is going to be very important.

And someone disagrees why? I'd love to actually discuss it.

I didn't click disagree, but mildly do, if we're talking not just about you, but about everyone.

I think that a schedule will be a help to many, but a higher order thing IMO is knowing who we each, individually, are. (If not sure, I'd go with the schedule, frankly ;) . It's a higher probability bet.).

I've been retired for a long time now (around 14 years), and pretty happy with mostly-unstructured life. I'm sure I'm not as objectively productive as I could be with more discipline (such as schedule/structure), but frankly don't feel obligated to maximum productivity, at this point. I'm confident that I can cover the minimally necessary bases, and that I will (i.e., pay my bills, eat OK-ish, work out a little, keep obligations to others, etc.) enough not to go completely off the rails. Clearly, the definition of "the basics" differs individually. In my case, no one depends on me. When they did, I covered that, too, certainly - I think not pathetically, though occasionally eccentrically.

Some people, especially those with limited work obligation now, might actually enjoy or benefit from an experiment with less structure. Needful, I suspect, to make that work: The ability and will to cut minimal-structure short, if the basics are derailing, or the psychological side is blowing a fuse. (That could be hard - slippery slope.) Unstructured might not be the best idea, but it's not wrong for all, either, IMO. To a certain, very limited, extent, the current situation is giving people a bit of a hall pass to experiment.

I think schedules are great . . . if a person lives better with one - for various definitions of "lives better". :flowerforyou:

Yeah, I think people are individuals, but for me the schedule will help not get totally unmoored.

It's weird I'm so worried about this as I will be working as much as usual and having regular contact with work people, among others.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My gym-pool in Italy has been closed for 2 weeks. I started jogwalking around the big piazza a block from us at 6 in the morning. It's about half a mile around and I do it 5 times--will be trying to better that. I'm 65 with AO and swimming was essential for me. However, as the Italians say: you dance to the music that's on, so that's what I'm doing. It raises my mood and gives me time to think and sort out my life. I thrive on structure, so I go everyday.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I went for my usual bike ride yesterday along the beach and it was insane with car traffic. All people who don't want to walk, run or bike, which we're still allowed to do outside, got into their cars and made for a very stressful and unsafe ride. I guess that's crowd that not used to cyclists on that road, the bike lanes are not everywhere and too many people have no clue how to safely pass a cyclist ( or just don't give a....). Lazy people. Although there's a big increase in my town with runners, walkers, and bike riders.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    zoeee369 wrote: »
    I live in NYC so we are on lockdown! I am not infected but fully working from home and limiting outside exposure. All gyms, restaurants and public places have closed

Hey @zoeee369 - same here. Also in NYC. I went from 3 soulcycles and gym times per week to nothing. I’m the type of person who loses weight and eats great on vacation - but being home is the worst for my waistline. So —- I’ve been doing yoga in the morning and more home weights. Focusing on lower cal foods. I have no snacks in house really. Drinking more water and practicing more food discipline. My vino stash not helping. 😇 Hope you are well!!
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My gym-pool in Italy has been closed for 2 weeks. I started jogwalking around the big piazza a block from us at 6 in the morning. It's about half a mile around and I do it 5 times--will be trying to better that. I'm 65 with AO and swimming was essential for me. However, as the Italians say: you dance to the music that's on, so that's what I'm doing. It raises my mood and gives me time to think and sort out my life. I thrive on structure, so I go everyday.

So a poster from Northern Italy says they were asked *not* to continue to go out for exercise; that hasn't affected you? What region are you in?

I find the outdoor time is just wonderful. And I have two dogs that will need walking no matter what, so I'll always be able to get a bit of fresh air if we get to the point the other Italian person has indicated.