Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

covid-19 and weight gain

naj1991naj1991 Posts: 77Member Member Posts: 77Member Member
Hi everyone!

So ever since this COVID-19 came along ive been making more of an effort to cook and bring my lunch to work . I'm not usually a bread person, but I have not only been eating ALOT of bread (like with every meal), I've also been eating more. Last night I made a meal for two, planning to take half for lunch, but ended up eating the whole thing in one sitting.

I don't really mind if I gain a few pounds. I am currently 5'4 and 142 (female). I'd like to be around 147. BUT with the uncertainty of how long this will go on...who knows.

Is this myth true that bread will cause weight gain?
IS anyone else worried about gaining alot of weight during this time?
edited March 21

Replies

• Buff_ManBuff_Man Posts: 666Member Member Posts: 666Member Member
    Having a lot of starchy carbs does make your retain a little water so I've heard. But tbh it's all about the calories.
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,998Member Member Posts: 9,998Member Member
    It's the "eating more" part that may hurt your weight loss efforts (depending on how many more calories), not the bread.
  • naj1991naj1991 Posts: 77Member Member Posts: 77Member Member
    also, I havent been working out at all.
    It's the "eating more" part that may hurt your weight loss efforts (depending on how many more calories), not the bread.

I'm not trying to lose weight, but I dont want to gain a lot either
  • Dootzy1Dootzy1 Posts: 603Member Member Posts: 603Member Member
    I know that hunkering down and comfort feeding is dangerous territory for me. Not obsessing, but trying not to eat just to fill time, either. My maintenance habits are definitely being tested.
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 5,130Member Member Posts: 5,130Member Member
    I’m confused by why you want to weigh 147? At your height, 144 is normal BMI and 147 is overweight. Unless you are very muscular which seems unlikely if you haven’t been working out at all, 144 is likely a healthier weight for you.

If you can’t seem to stop eating larger portions than you planned, making less calorie dense foods with more bulk such as vegetables might help.
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,998Member Member Posts: 9,998Member Member
    I’m confused by why you want to weigh 147? At your height, 144 is normal BMI and 147 is overweight. Unless you are very muscular which seems unlikely if you haven’t been working out at all, 144 is likely a healthier weight for you.

If you can’t seem to stop eating larger portions than you planned, making less calorie dense foods with more bulk such as vegetables might help.

Oh, I read the numbers the other way around thought she wanted to lose, which is why I was a bit confused. There are a few reasons to want to be a slightly overweight BMI. Wanting more muscle without losing fat is one of them, and liking the overweight look is another. Whatever it is, it's a perfectly valid goal if the person understands it comes at a very slightly increased risk. The reason I chose to maintain overweight was to have more calories. I would rather be a bit overweight and stable than normal weight and struggling. That I like the overweight look is a bonus.

I havent been working out much due to all thats going on. But yes, I have alot of muscle. I want to weigh 147 because I felt comfortable at that weight.

Oh, I read the numbers the other way around thought she wanted to lose, which is why I was a bit confused. There are a few reasons to want to be a slightly overweight BMI. Wanting more muscle without losing fat is one of them, and liking the overweight look is another. Whatever it is, it's a perfectly valid goal if the person understands it comes at a very slightly increased risk. The reason I chose to maintain overweight was to have more calories. I would rather be a bit overweight and stable than normal weight and struggling. That I like the overweight look is a bonus.

Yes I would have to agree. I wouldn't say that I look overweight....I still get called slim quite often. I do have curves, but I'm overall still pretty small (and completely healthy with regular checkups). Sometimes the slightly overweight (per bmi) actually is more attractive physically to some as well as long as you're healthy.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 37,779Member Member Posts: 37,779Member Member
    naj1991 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

So ever since this COVID-19 came along ive been making more of an effort to cook and bring my lunch to work . I'm not usually a bread person, but I have not only been eating ALOT of bread (like with every meal), I've also been eating more. Last night I made a meal for two, planning to take half for lunch, but ended up eating the whole thing in one sitting.

I don't really mind if I gain a few pounds. I am currently 5'4 and 142 (female). I'd like to be around 147. BUT with the uncertainty of how long this will go on...who knows.

Is this myth true that bread will cause weight gain?
    IS anyone else worried about gaining alot of weight during this time?

Bread in and of itself doesn't cause weight gain...calories in excess of what you need cause weight gain, wherever they come from.

I'm personally not concerned about weight gain...my eating habits haven't really changed at all with any of this. I'm also getting in more exercise since I have more time and I'm minus my 2 hour commute. I've been going for walks in the AM and getting some really good rides in for the afternoon/evening...usually 60+ minutes.