So Hungry!

I eat a vegetarian diet but just can’t seem to ever feel full. Any food suggestions?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    When have you felt full in the past?
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    I eat a vegetarian diet but just can’t seem to ever feel full. Any food suggestions?

Which foods are you eating now?

Some veg's eat nuts, eggs, fish, yogurt. If you shun those, do you eat grains or starches that are more filling?
  • abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    I focus on protein, veggies and fruit then fats. I add some concetrated forms of carbs or treats if I have room.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Which foods are you eating now?

Some veg's eat nuts, eggs, fish, yogurt. If you shun those, do you eat grains or starches that are more filling?

Nuts? 🤣 Why would any vegetarian (or even the strictest vegan) not eat nuts? Where in the animal kingdom are these nuts coming from? 😂

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The obvious stuff -- are you getting enough calories overall? Are you getting enough protein? Are you getting enough fat? Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating at a meal frequency/size that supports your food preferences (this one is tricky, as it requires some observations. Some people need breakfast to feel their best throughout the day, other people feel better when they skip breakfast. Some people thrive on a big dinner, others do best with six small meals spaced throughout the day, etc)?

If you share what a regular day of eating looks like for you, you may get more specific help.

I don't eat meat and I've found that I personally do best when I eat three meals a day, with dinner being the biggest meal. I like moderate fat and high fiber and I am more of a volume eater. The more my days look like this, the more satisfied I feel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2020
    How many calories are you eating? How many grams of protein are you eating. Its certainly possible that increasing fats and decreasing carbs might improve the situation.
  • janejellyroll
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Its certainly possible that increasing fats and decreasing carbs might improve the situation.

Yes, when I personally try to do a low fat diet I wind up feeling hungry and weak (and also angry).
  • janejellyroll
    Its certainly possible that increasing fats and decreasing carbs might improve the situation.

Yes, when I personally try to do a low fat diet I wind up feeling hungry and weak (and also angry).

I am a mix bag. I generally need a combination of high protein + fat +fiber; avocado and chia really help me. Also, Greek yogurt is much more filling to me than 5 eggs with veggies. Below is my breakfast this morning and i am crazy full.

Okay, not only does that look tasty, but you broke out a beautiful restaurant-style presentation!
  • psuLemon

I am a mix bag. I generally need a combination of high protein + fat +fiber; avocado and chia really help me. Also, Greek yogurt is much more filling to me than 5 eggs with veggies. Below is my breakfast this morning and i am crazy full.

Okay, not only does that look tasty, but you broke out a beautiful restaurant-style presentation!

Haha. Thanks. I run a fb page because i have had some many people ask about my cooking, so everything I eat is documented.
  • itsallgood11
    itsallgood11 Posts: 18 Member
    I eat low carb, medium protein, and probably medium to high fat. I always end up eating too many nuts
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I eat low carb, medium protein, and probably medium to high fat. I always end up eating too many nuts

What makes you feel full and not hungry?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

What is your height and weight, and how many calories are you eating?

How long have you been eating at this level?

How much exercise are you doing?
  • psuLemon

Can you provide more insight..... Like how many calories, how many grams of protein and fat?
  • janejellyroll

What's your calorie goal? Sometimes we're hungry because we're not getting enough of the macros or other nutrients (like fiber) that help us individually feel full. But other times we're hungry because we're not eating enough.

Do you eat low carbohydrate and moderate/high fat because it best controls your hunger? Or is this just the way you've been eating?

Can you remember a time when you felt consistently satisfied? What did your diet look like then?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Volumemeals helped me or eating more olives or guacamole