Food Inventory

EnterNihil
EnterNihil Posts: 67 Member
Hi, can anyone recommend anyways to keep track of food inventory? I'd like an easy way to remember what perishable foods will expire soonest in my home.

Thanks!

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Excel spreadsheet. That is what I do (after I do a general stock list in a notebook).
  • EnterNihil
    edited March 2020
    That sounds like a patronizing rhetorical question. "What does perishable mean to you?", no one said I was stocked up on any food. Just foods with an early expiration date. I tried to explain myself clearly, I think perishable foods are likely to decay or go bad quickly. In my case, the celery I don't want to forget about, the kale, snap peas, and the cottage cheese and oh yeah, the eggs all might expire if I don't remember I need to eat them to not waste.

Using a whiteboard or excel sheet are great ideas, thanks.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    EnterNihil wrote: »
    That sounds like a patronizing rhetorical question. "What does perishable mean to you?", no one said I was stocked up on any food. Just foods with an early expiration date. I tried to explain myself clearly, I think perishable foods are likely to decay or go bad quickly. In my case, the celery I don't want to forget about, the kale, snap peas, and the cottage cheese and oh yeah, the eggs all might expire if I don't remember I need to eat them to not waste.

Using a whiteboard or excel sheet are great ideas, thanks.

A small magnetic white board on the fridge might help, and will keep the info right there instead of on a computer.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I misunderstood at first too. I keep a list on my phone with everything in order of when it expires (mostly produce) so I use up those items first. There's also the app Out Of Milk but you can only list things as being "low" or "high", I've started to do that with items. It's a grocery shopping app so that's why the low and high is helpful. I'm sure there's some app out there but I'm not familiar with it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    I'm even more low tech. Not only do I open up the fridge, but I open up the freezer every couple of days to have a rummage around.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Yep, I do the same to my freezer roughly once a month - anything that’s closest to needing used is put back on the top shelf, everything else is replaced on the other shelves and in the baskets in categories so I can quickly see what’s low before I shop.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Life is too short to be that organized. Lol JK I'm sure it'd work for some but not for me. I'm of the 'open the fridge and take a look' camp.
    I've been keeping a running list of stuff we get low on, then make 1 trip, as opposed to 3-4 a week. All foods get rotated. And I always buy the freshest dated stuff at the store. Last time I bought milk, though, what I could see was dated for today(and this was the 29th?). I wasn't going to touch all of it to get to the back ones. :(
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I'm also the Open the fridge" type.
    I don't have the time to make a spreadsheet and keep updating. The only list I make is the Grocery shopping list.
    This lock down has made me creative. I know what I have and I try making something new or different. It's working out nicely. I think I'm spending less too. The only additional shopping is the produce. We go through veggies a lot.
    No wasting here! And if it ever looks like it needs to be used quick, I make soup or freeze for veggie stock.
    Trying not to waste.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    EnterNihil wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend anyways to keep track of food inventory? I'd like an easy way to remember what perishable foods will expire soonest in my home.

Thanks!

I let MFP remind me. When I get home from the grocery store (back in the pre-COVID days when I went to the grocery store :smile: ) , I "prelog" in the next day's diary all the foods I consider perishable that I don't want to forget about (if I consider something a "breakfast" food, I log it under breakfast, etc.). If I make something from scratch that is more food than I'll eat in one meal, I prelog that to the next day as well. Ditto if I open a can of something that I don't finish, cook something from the freezer I don't finish, order carryout and have extra, etc.

Each evening I copy all those perishable foods that are prelogged in tomorrow's diary to the meals for the day after tomorrow. When tomorrow becomes today, I have all those potentially perishable foods staring me in the face when I look in my diary, and deleting these I don't eat that day or adjusting the quantity for whatever portion I actually eat is really quick.

If I use up all the strawberries, for example, I delete them from the next day's pre-logged meals when I adjust the quantity in the current day's diary, so that when I copy the prelogged meals in the evening to the day after tomorrow, I'm not copying any foods I've already finished.

That probably sounds really complicated, but it doesn't feel complicated to me.
  • EnterNihil
    awesome, thanks!