Paying membership fees for closed gyms?

Options
13»

Replies

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I had the choice of freezing my membership or keep paying and receive two months for one (up to three months) once they open again. I took the latter.
  • BreezyWerner
    BreezyWerner Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a manager of a small gym. We are extending memberships to the end of contracts for free for however long we are forced to keep our doors closed. We have kept an active Facebook presence and also check emails and phone messages several times a day. Most of our members are ok with continuing to pay and have the free time added to the end of their contract. Some are having problems with that because they are out of work. We try to respond to those members within 24 hours of their contacting us to freeze their payments.

Thankfully, not many have requested freezing their payments. If the tide turns, and a good percentage request that we freeze payments, we will go bankrupt. We still have to pay our rent. We have a couple of staff members who are full time and we are keeping them on the payroll.

We are grateful for our members who can and do continue to pay and compassionate towards the ones who can’t afford the payment right now.

Our little gym provides a sense of community for our members. It would be a shame to get swallowed up in this.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Retro Fitness offered several options including free training sessions, when this is over, suspending payment until reopened, or continue to pay. Much to the shock of my family, I opted to continue to pay. It's $24.00 a month, I'm still working AND getting paid, hopefully they are using the money I'm paying to lessen the blow on their employees. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the gym is a franchise, so there is a local "owner" who would still have a family, and them self, to feed. I can still afford the $24.00. ( I've "wasted" $24 on lesser purposes). I'm also using take out from local restaurants hoping to keep them alive.

I'm confused about the 3 disagrees. With what do you disagree? How I choose to spend my money? The fact that I care about my gym, and it's employees, going without and being able to continue? That I still patronize local establishments in an effort to keep them open and surviving? My employment has been determined to be essential, and I am still working and getting paid. I shouldn't care about my neighbors? I am confused by your objections.

Now, the "disagrees" are just funny.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My gym (Anytime Fitness) automatically froze everyone's accounts starting April, and will do a manual credit for the two weeks of March they were closed if you get in touch to arrange it. I voluntarily didn't go for a good week or ten days while they were still open so I'll pass on the credit and hope it helps them keep existing when all this is over.