Intuitive Eating vs. Dieting

Hi,
This is my first time on MFP as an Intuitive Eater. I am interested in knowing if anyone eats intuitively on here or just diets. I feel like anytime tracking is involved it is somewhat of a diet. I believe that dieting causes weight gain, so I am a little hesitant to track what I eat, but I did not know if anyone else has some feedback?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• KOO2020
    KOO2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. I guess I define dieting as not going over an allotment you've set for yourself. For example, if your diet requires 1,600 calories and you go over by 100 and start to feel guilty, or feel the need to exercise or find another compulsion to try to "make up for it." Again, this is my personal opinion.

I will say, for me, dieting always caused me to overeat in the sense that if I felt like I had "ruined my day," or "ate too much," then I would feel incredibly guilty and try to find a way to make up for it- like exercise... OR, I would just say, "screw it," and eat whatever I wanted because I felt like I had blown my day/ diet.
  • KOO2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You can track cals without doing that, however. I found it helpful to work on my own all or nothing tendencies and the logical approach that tracking is combined with for me made it easier to do so -- I could see that eating above my goal but below maintenance would still mean an overall loss over time, whereas going nuts and eating all the things because my day was perfect would cause weight gain. I also could work in maintenance days where I had room for a restaurant meal or some such and just didn't go over maintenance.

I also was able to teach myself mindful eating such that I can basically eat an amount that is maintenance for me at my level of activity without having to track, although I still do track from time to time, mainly because I find focusing on nutrition goals and such interesting and it keeps me motivated (it's too easy for me to fall into "I don't care" mode when other things are taking my time and energy).

Yes, I can totally see how this would work for you. It is more than likely my personality. I just find that if I am told, I can't eat something, or I can eat 3 cookies only, it makes me feel restricted, and that restriction is what causes me to overeat/ binge eat- which in turn results in weight gain.
  • KOO2020
    Intuitive eating is a really trendy term, IMHO, just to say, watch what you eat and be mindful. For most that have been heavy, it doesn't work. It's the eating version of "just say no", which we all know has worked so well :o

I cannot relate to being heavy, other than just about 20 pounds overweight, so I can only come from my perspective and my personality. I know if I was ever told to restrict or stay within certain calorie limits it immediately made me want more, wheresas if I told myself I wanted a cookie and a piece of cake, I would eat it, enjoy it, and move on with my day, and not worry about if it fit into my calories, etc.
  • KOO2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    KOO2020 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is my first time on MFP as an Intuitive Eater. I am interested in knowing if anyone eats intuitively on here or just diets. I feel like anytime tracking is involved it is somewhat of a diet. I believe that dieting causes weight gain, so I am a little hesitant to track what I eat, but I did not know if anyone else has some feedback?

Thank you so much!

That question is hard for me to understand, so I think I'm missing something. Frankly, it seems a little like "I wonder if someone on here lifts weights or just works out?" "Dieting" and "intuitive eating" seem like terms with some possible overlap and interconnections.

What does "diet" mean to you?

My view: Everyone has a diet (noun), just the stuff we eat and the way we eat it. Some people are "on a diet" or say they're "dieting", i.e., following a special way of eating for particular reasons. Sometimes that's something like a managed-carb diet for diabetics, or a low-protein diet for certain kinds of liver disease, but sometimes it's a lower calorie diet with the goal of weight loss.

The lower calorie diet can be achieved in various ways. Some people can achieve it with intuitive eating, but others intuitively over-eat. Some people like to calorie-count to achieve lowered calories and do great that way, but that can be a slippery slope to obsession or an eating disorder for some other people. There are lots of ways to accomplish the reduced calories that lead to weight loss, with or without counting those calories.

So, I think I have a diet (noun). It's not a well-defined strict-rules things, but I strive for balanced nutrition, with medium-high protein, and for taste/satiation reasons generaly prefer lots of simple foods people have eaten for centuries or millennia (but a few "highly processed" foods, too); and I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian (have been for 45 years).

Because I have a self-indulgent (hedonistic!) personality type, intuitive eating didn't work all that well for me. I was obese for 3 decades plus, until 2015. Calorie counting, as a strategy for losing weight and maintaining weight, has worked great for me, without stress or obsession, because I'm generally kind of data geek, so it's like a fun science fair project for grown-ups to me; I'm not inclined to be obsessive to an inappropriate degree by nature; and it only takes me a few minutes a day for some pretty major benefits in return. It lets me balance my immediate self-indulgences with a need for even-older me (I'm already 64) to be strong and healthy.

I think it's really important for each of us to understand what our individual personalities will respond to, and how to harness our personal strengths (and mitigate our personal weaknesses), in order to find a sensible way to eat that helps us be both physically and mentally healthy . . . and that's going to be a different way, from person to person.

I completely agree with you that what works for one person, may not work for another. And that is totally okay! If something works for someone and is sustainable and healthy (mentally and physically), I hope they continue to do it. Something you said is interesting to me, though, "Frankly, it seems a little like "I wonder if someone on here lifts weights or just works out?" "Dieting" and "intuitive eating" seem like terms with some possible overlap and interconnections."
    I think in some sense they may overlap, but I find dieting to be restrictive or not necessarily an internal cue, it may not be restrictive in what you eat, but in some form, whether it be calories/ fat grams/ carbohydrates, I do find it restricting (this is not for those that have certain medical conditions like diabetes, or lactose intolerant, etc.). AGAIN, this is my personal opinion. I find that intuitive eating is more listening to hunger and fullness cues and what you are in the mood for, rather than eating eggs because you need a little more fat and protein for the day.
  • KOO2020
    That is great that this works for you! Dieting has never been a source of help for me, it led me down a very dangerous path, so I try to stay away from it. I know for some it is the solution, just not for me.
  • KOO2020
    Thank you all for your feedback- I know we may disagree and that is 100% okay. Thank you for being kind and supportive. I just was curious to see others feedback. :smiley:
  • KOO2020
    Yes, I am a teacher and most of my students are intuitive eaters- I love watching them eat, and pick at their food. It is so interesting to me. If you don't mind me asking @denisekotz, what do you plan to do once you reach your goal weight? Do you think you will just cold turkey stop counting or stick to the foods you normally eat? I am just curious! :smile:
  • KOO2020
    @janejellyroll , that is wonderful! I am so happy that this has worked for you! :)