Anyone starting the Couch to 5K

Options
124»

Replies

• tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just started C25k Tuesday and finished W1D2 today... it was harder today than Tuesday,but I've ALWAYS wanted to run a 5k... not walk/run, but run/jog!! I'm starting on the treadmill and then will move outside. Do a lot of you do the weeks twice.? or only move on to the next week when you feel ready?
    Thanks for any input!

Tammy
  • trishful
    trishful Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just started C25k Tuesday and finished W1D2 today... it was harder today than Tuesday,but I've ALWAYS wanted to run a 5k... not walk/run, but run/jog!! I'm starting on the treadmill and then will move outside. Do a lot of you do the weeks twice.? or only move on to the next week when you feel ready?
    Thanks for any input!

Tammy

We did the first 4 weeks twice. It helps me to be able to move on. I'm not ready for week 5 day 3 yet (20 minute run) so I did day 2 again, but tried to run for a minute longer each run, (9 instead of 8) and my next run will try for two 10 minutes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    But how accurate are the reported calories? I used the program for the first time this morning while wearing a heart rate monitor. C25K W1D2. The calories given by RunDouble were way, way below what the HRM showed. Even if I allow for the HRM being way too high it is still more than twice that reported by RD.

That's always a bit of a conundrum. I've never figured it out completely. MFP's database doesn't work for C25K unless you enter both run times and walk times separately (and even then I think MFP calories are too high).
    The most common estimate I've found is that a 150 pound person burns approx. 100 calories for each mile (either walking or running). This isn't accurate, I know, but it's a good ballpark figure, I think.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm on W3D2 and am doing a 5K in November. I had never run before this so I completely freaked out after I finished yesterday's run, first time in my life that I've run 3 minutes straight without anything chasing me!!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started (again!) this morning, on the treadmill, too! I had the same thought about running outdoors on weekends but I'll play that bit by ear.

Feel free to add me!
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i started today and it kicked my butt. But I'm so happy! How weird is that!?!
    But how accurate are the reported calories? I used the program for the first time this morning while wearing a heart rate monitor. C25K W1D2. The calories given by RunDouble were way, way below what the HRM showed. Even if I allow for the HRM being way too high it is still more than twice that reported by RD.

That's always a bit of a conundrum. I've never figured it out completely. MFP's database doesn't work for C25K unless you enter both run times and walk times separately (and even then I think MFP calories are too high).
    The most common estimate I've found is that a 150 pound person burns approx. 100 calories for each mile (either walking or running). This isn't accurate, I know, but it's a good ballpark figure, I think.

I have a formula for running that goes:
    .75 * weight / mile

For walking I use:
    .53 * weight / mile

For me the results are about half what MFP estimates. I cannot vouch for their accuracy, just that it seems to be a good ballpark estimation.
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried Couch to 5K last year and had a tough time, plantar fascitis in my right foot and my left knee hurt so badly. Plus, it was just really hard for me to run. This time, I've been preparing, I'm down 12 lbs since the last time, I got myself some high quality running shoes but I've been walking 2 miles at 5 a.m. at a good pace every weekday, rest day on Saturday and then 3 miles on Sundays for the past month. I think that might be one of the ways I went wrong before, by not working up to it. Also, I think I tried to run too fast to begin. I've got the plantar fascitis under control (the high quality running sneakers should help with that too) the knee feels good, I've got some cool gloves for the cold mornings and new workout clothes.....I'm ready!! I'm just going to take it slow, if I have to repeat a week, I'm doing it. I've signed up for the Color Run next April and we're going on a cruise for Thanksgiving. I told my husband I'd be really happy if I can run a mile by the time we cruise so I can jog the whole way around the jogging track on the top deck! Good luck to everyone starting the program and continued success to all of you who are accomplishing it!
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am starting this tonight after work. I know this is an old thread--where is everyone now in their workouts? Still doing C25K? My 5K I signed up for is December 14th. I have ran a 5K before, so I am hoping that makes it somewhat easier.
  • bunbu
    bunbu Posts: 131
    Options
    I started this last sunday. Tomorrow I will do week 1 day 3. I'm so not looking forward to this sunday starting the week 2. I think they r trying to kill me just doing the first week. Lol! Anway good luck to everyone on whatever week they are on. We got this! :)
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 Day 1 this morning and I have to say, I impressed myself. I was able to "run" (slow jog) all eight of the minute intervals which I had not been able to do before. I think my five weeks of walking 2-3 miles daily really helped me to be ready to run it this time. Last time I tried it, I couldn't run the entire minute and skipped a couple of the intervals altogether. One of my knees and other foot killed but today, I felt like Rocky at 5:45 a.m. this morning! It was encouraging and definitely helped my motivation now that I see some progress in my fitness level. I'm going to keep on going and if I have to repeat a week, so be it. I'm the tortoise right now but slow and steady wins the race!!
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 Day 1 this morning and I have to say, I impressed myself. I was able to "run" (slow jog) all eight of the minute intervals which I had not been able to do before. I think my five weeks of walking 2-3 miles daily really helped me to be ready to run it this time. Last time I tried it, I couldn't run the entire minute and skipped a couple of the intervals altogether. One of my knees and other foot killed but today, I felt like Rocky at 5:45 a.m. this morning! It was encouraging and definitely helped my motivation now that I see some progress in my fitness level. I'm going to keep on going and if I have to repeat a week, so be it. I'm the tortoise right now but slow and steady wins the race!!

Great attitude! I do Week 1 Day 2 tonight. I did much better with day 1 than I did in the past. I am actually looking forward to tonight!