So, I went to the Dr. a year ago today and the news was terrible!

nighthawk584
nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
edited April 2020 in Success Stories
I was 100 lbs overweight, my cholesterol was high, my blood pressure was high (even with 2 pills) , and worst of all, I was now pre-diabetic. This wasn't really a shock to me, as I was on a downward health spiral for 16 plus years, with the last 5 being the worst. I was so miserable and unhealthy in both body and mind, I was at a point of not even caring if I lived. I can list many reasons why this all happened, but in the end, they are just excuses. I was one HUGE excuse!

When I heard the words pre-diabetic from my Dr., that was the final straw that made me want to change or suffer the inevitable consequences. My Dad had type II diabetes and lost both his legs and eventually his life. Experiencing first hand what he went through the last 25 years of his life, was more than enough for me to finally get my lazy & obese butt in gear!

Fast forward to today and I am 96 lbs lighter from 4/1/2019, and 101 lbs lighter from heaviest known weight in 2018. My BMI went from Obese class II to Normal weight. My waist went from busting out of 42 jeans to fitting comfortably in 34's again. My t-shirt size went from XXXL to a L. Most importantly, my health did a complete 180 and my labs are now the best in my adult life. No longer am I pre-diabetic, my cholesterol is back to normal, and my blood pressure is well into the normal range. I am down to 1 pill and hoping to get off that soon. I look and feel like a new man at age 55.

How did I do it? First, I dropped all my excuses and dropped all my binge inducing foods. (particularly fast food). I also quit alcohol and sugary high calorie drinks like soda, and have not touched them since. I lost my first 50 lbs logging everything I ate, in a notebook. EVERYTHING! Since July, I started logging on My Fitness Pal website and things have been so much easier to keep track of and stay more accurate. I also started on a regular exercise routine, with simply walking for the first few months, to now using my spin bike for cardio and weight training to build muscles. I exercise 7 days a week, alternating between the two.

Has this journey been easy? NOPE! I wanted to quit several times during the first few months, and I have had my days where I want, and at times have eaten everything in sight! But thankfully those days are very rare now, and if they happen I get right back on track the following day. I choose foods that are nutritionally balanced for 98% of my diet, but I also don't deny so called bad foods either. If I want a cookie(s) or ice cream, I'll eat it! As long as it fits in my daily calorie goal, it's all good. Punishing yourself is not the answer and never works long term. Losing weight is as simple as staying at a consistent calorie deficit. The key word is CONSISTENT. How you get there is up to you.

Looking back one year ago, I never thought I would even be half as successful as I am today. Listen, if I can do it at age 55, anyone can do it if they want it bad enough. It was the best decision of my middle aged life by far! My journey continues...

y8m1vm2wv0g0.jpg
0z35xvfoi16d.jpg

Stats
Age 55
Height 6'1"
Starting Weight 4/1/2019: 280 lbs
Current Weight 4/1/2020: 184 lbs

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    A super congrats for turning your life around! You look wonderful. Thanks for all your realistic, encouraging posts over the past year.
  • mrroww
    mrroww Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks for sharing your inspriational story. It was just what I needed to hear this AM with all the isolation, social distancing (read: gym closed! ACKKK), and bad/sad news, I have been a bit lax. Appreciate your sharing both here and in your posts. Congrats!
  • SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Very inspiring! Congrats! You’ve worked hard and it shows. You must feel amazing! 🤗
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    WOWWWW! Amazing job, such an inspiration. What amazing hard work you have done.
  • Kaitie9399
    Kaitie9399 Posts: 1,271 Member
    Bravo!!!! Your story is an inspiration to others!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'll add to the chorus! Amazing change and know it wasn't easy. Keep posting.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Congrats on such a huge life change. Your hard work and dedication is very visible.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    That is a wonderful story!! Congratulations and I hope you will now join us in the maintenance forum.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    One of the most inspiring success stories I've ever seen. Well done and thanks for sharing!!!
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    That's fantastic @nighthawk584 👍
  • denisseerios
    denisseerios Posts: 22 Member
    Amazing!!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    You changed your life. Congratulations!!
  • denicr9
    denicr9 Posts: 1 Member
    Your journey with weight has truly inspired me. Thank you and continued successes 😊⭐️
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Awesome!! Thanks for picking us up and reminding us it can be done!!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    Very inspiring, you look amazing! Great job turning your health and life around. I always enjoy your posts, you come across like you have a good head on your shoulders. Glad you managed to make them smaller ones!
  • Fazola
    Fazola Posts: 26 Member
    That's such an inspiring story for those of us browsing the site and wondering if it really is possible and whether or not to bother even trying. Thank you so much.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Fazola wrote: »
    That's such an inspiring story for those of us browsing the site and wondering if it really is possible and whether or not to bother even trying. Thank you so much.

Thanks, it IS possible and 100% worth it for your health!
  • steveonumber7
    steveonumber7 Posts: 18 Member
    Well done bud!
    I know the hard work that you have put in, again well done :)
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Inspiring!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!