To Lift or Not to Lift?

Options
My question is this...My weight has stalled. I am basically maintaining. I want to LOOSE at least 30 more lbs but I am afraid that if I incorporate weights into my cardio that my weight will stall and that I wont see the scale moving and will get unmotivated. I am not talking serious weight lifting here...just basic machines at the gym like 2 days a week. One day legs and abs, the other arms and back or something. Any advice?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. If you do lift...and you should in order to preserve LBM...then you should do an actual program. Just willy nilly exercises on machines without any real objective or structure is going to be pretty much a waste of time.
  • liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lift 2 days a week sometimes 3, Ilke body pump the class because it incorporates all body party. Weight lifting in women can stall your weight loss at first but you start to lose a ton of inches. You will notice it more in your clothes, hey who cares how much you weight if your a size or two smaller. Your muscles swell so drink more water and hopefully with time you start to convert some fat into muscles which weighs the same but muscle takes up less space so you look thinner and your clothes feel bigger :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My answer to this question is always yes, lift. I used to do cardio too and lost a lot of weight on it, but then became bored and stopped. I ended up gaining back 12 of the 21 pounds I lost. Since I started to try and lose again, I have only lost 4 pounds, but completely changed my body and lost two dress sizes. I have seen changes in my body that I didn't see with just the scale moving.

I love lifting. Machines can be a good start to gain comfortability, but definitely move to the free weights. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's a very educational book with some good exercises. I wouldn't consider myself a serious weight lifter either, but there is something very empowering about carrying your own in the gym and progressive lifting.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    LIFT
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Lift.

The scale is only one part of this journey. You may not lose weight lifting, but you will lose inches and look better naked.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Lift, for sure. When I began to lift, I had a shaplier body was way more satisfied with my body overall than with cardio alone. I would stick to the free weights rather than the machines as well. Certain lifts are more compound (ie deadlifts, over head press, bench press and squats) and work more muscle groups than the machines, which tend to be more isolated. I have also heard great things about the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, I haven't bought it yet, but plan to. If you have any questions let me know!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Scale weight means nothing really. It's your body fat levels that matter.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My question is this...My weight has stalled. I am basically maintaining. I want to LOOSE at least 30 more lbs but I am afraid that if I incorporate weights into my cardio that my weight will stall and that I wont see the scale moving and will get unmotivated. I am not talking serious weight lifting here...just basic machines at the gym like 2 days a week. One day legs and abs, the other arms and back or something. Any advice?

Well, at the risk of sounding 'mean', if you're already stalled what's it matter if lifting stalls you? It's like you can become more stalled; you either are stalled or you aren't.

I say lift. Start yesterday.
  • ysanne88
    ysanne88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lift lift lift!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Do the type of exercise that you like doing. If you haven't tried lifting, give it a try. You may find you like. If it turns out that you don't, move on to something else that you do like.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    To lift, or not to lift? There is no question. Lift.

Pick up the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". You will thank me, and get finally get on track. I promise you that once you start learning about this and following a tested no bs routine, you will enjoy working out more and looking better.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    lift!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting has been the best thing I've ever done for myself! My vote is to LIFT! You won't regret it. Liking what you see in the mirror is way better than a number on the scale. Plus it makes you feel so good. I love being strong! It makes every day living so much easier. I recommend Stronglifts 5x5. I like this program because of the simplicity. There is a group on here you may be interested in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Good luck!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i would follow wolfmans advice. u can lift all u want but if u r not in a cal deficit u will not lose weight.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    i would follow wolfmans advice. u can lift all u want but if u r not in a cal deficit u will not lose weight.

And if you don't follow a solid program you may as well wear a dunce cap too. Here are some good programs, based on the basics, no trends:

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    5/3/1 (more advanced, it's a powerlifting routine but very good and graduated)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Lift. Does it matter what the scale says? (Hint: the answer is NO.)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am afraid that if I incorporate weights into my cardio that my weight will stall and that I wont see the scale moving and will get unmotivated

Getting strong and ripped isn't for everyone.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    To lift or not to lift?

This is not even a question.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I am not talking serious weight lifting here...just basic machines at the gym like 2 days a week. One day legs and abs, the other arms and back or something. Any advice?

Why aren't you talking serious weight lifting?

Also, movement of the scale isn't everything. Would you rather look better or weigh less?
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The scale does not matter. The sooner you learn that, the better.