Gaining weight

Does anyone know if it’s normal to still gain weight even though you stay under your calorie goal and workout at least 5 times a week.

Replies

• so_cal_fit70
    so_cal_fit70 Posts: 250 Member
    Yes very normal. You’re gaining lean muscle. How often do you weight yourself? Just pay attention to how your clothes are fitting you. Those don’t lie. Lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited April 2020
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate calories burned?
  • ceveymarie
    ceveymarie Posts: 6 Member
    I weigh about every other day it keeps changing on me and driving me crazy.
  • L1zardQueen
    Food scale or body weight scale?
  • ceveymarie
    edited April 2020
    I use serving size on the labels and don’t eat after 6 pm. A body weight scale.
  • L1zardQueen
    When did you start counting calories?
  • ceveymarie
    Only about 2 weeks ago
  • ceveymarie
    I also have hyperthyroidism and have to take meds to slow it down a bit.
  • L1zardQueen
    Two weeks is not enough time to tell if you are doing anything wrong. What are your stats? Hyperthyroidism makes it a little tougher but not impossible to lose weight. Hugs
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    First, weigh all your food. You cannot go by servings because they can be out by a lot. I have pita breads I eat and a serving (1 pita) is supposed to be 44 grams, but every single bread is over 55g. That's 25% more calories. And you will find that with most packaged foods, so that means you are eating up to 25% more calories than you think.

Second, weight fluctuations are normal. If you weigh daily, consider tracking in a trending ap. Here is my trend, you can see it goes up and down, but it's the trend that matters.

afce263pe8go.jpg
  • ceveymarie
    Oh wow I didn’t know that.. thank you so much.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    ceveymarie wrote: »
    Oh wow I didn’t know that.. thank you so much.

You might enjoy reading this article, it's useful:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
    Yes very normal. You’re gaining lean muscle. How often do you weight yourself? Just pay attention to how your clothes are fitting you. Those don’t lie. Lol

This is a very unlikely explanation for lack of weight loss, in someone who's actively trying to lose weight.

For a woman, under ideal conditions (but without risky performance enhancing drugs), a pound a month of muscle mass gain would be a really good result (maybe twice that, for a man). Ideal conditions include a well-designed progressive strength training program faithfully performed, good nutrition (especially adequate protein), relative youth, and a calorie surplus. (If nothing else, weight loss inherently counters that last: One is striving for a calorie deficit.)

On the flip side of that, a pound a month of fat loss is such slow loss that one is very unlikely even to notice it amongst routine daily scale-weight fluctuations from water weight and digestive contents variations, for at least a month or two, even with a weight trending app. Most people, other than someone with a tiny number of vanity pounds to lose gradually (or who's trying for fat loss at constant weight via recomposition), would be deeply unsatisfied with a weight loss rate as slow as a pound a month.

Therefore, no reasonably probable amount of muscle-mass gain is going to outpace most rationally-targeted rates of fat loss, particularly among women.

Sadly.