Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @healthytink I"m happy you found some positive coping skills to help your stressful day. I am proud of you!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @sweetstevens You have some great ideas for your walking goals. I love Santana music as well.

When I am stressed, I know I can calm down and reset if I go for a walk. Walking can be a miracle cure, that's for sure.
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I’m so happy to have found this group and hoping I can become a part of it. I am in need of motivation and accountability. Weight has been a struggle my entire life and now that I’m at 45 I’m finding it even tougher.
    I have been slowly gaining over the past year following a back injury and lots of work to regain strength after that. I am pretty good with my workouts. Using beach body on demand 4-6 days per week. My downfall is definitely my sweet tooth and mindless snacking.
    Right now I am working from home and trying to stay on top of my three teenagers and their school work.
    I’m also finding meal planning and prep challenging with kids home grazing through everything and the grocery store stock being a bit unpredictable.
    I’m 45yrs old, 5’5” and 169lbs. My goal is somewhere around 140lbs, but I may adjust that as I get closer depending on how my measurements are looking.
    It sounds like everyone here is off to a great start. Hoping I can get added to the group, but am also not sure how that works. Is it individual friend requests or is there a group request?
  • RunsOnCoffee_
    RunsOnCoffee_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!
    Welcome new people, I sent out a bunch of friend requests :)

@mummiecakes there is no separate group, just post here for your accountability...anything really, your accomplishments, struggles, exercise, etc. You can also request and sent out friend requests and support people individually from their MFP home page.

Well, it was a weigh-in day for me and I didn't lose any weight. My diet has not been stellar, even though I am still under my calorie goals. I try to eat back about half of my exercise calories, I feel any less and I won't have energy to run. I will not dwell on it and will push on. Ran 6 miles this AM, it felt hard today, I've been running for 3 years and some days are just bad run days. Running is a very humbling activity.

I am prepping food for next week as I'm back at work and need lunches. So far I made a batch of sweet potatoes in instant-pot, chicken soup is cooking, I will also make egg-roll in a bowl dish. I usually supplement my lunches with fruit and yogurt.
  • Sundaenia
    Sundaenia Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Egg roll in a bowl? I have never tried that but it sounds tasty!
  • RunsOnCoffee_
    RunsOnCoffee_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sundaenia wrote: »
    Egg roll in a bowl? I have never tried that but it sounds tasty!

Yes it is! It’s also fast and easy. I use this recipe
    https://www.evolvingtable.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl-paleo-keto/
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I lost 1.5 pounds since April 16. Baby steps. Trying to do lower carb (lower glycemic ). And I stopped buying snack and gummy bears. If there are here, I will succumb to stress and nibble on them. All the calories have added up. Wishing you a great day!
  • BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I had a Welcome to Your Forties moment this weekend. Knowing I was going to be outside for a few hours on our one sunny day this past Saturday, I responsibly put on sunscreen. By that night, my face was beet red and burning. Apparently, my skin does not like the generic sunscreen brand anymore. lol! But...
    Yeah! I am down nearly 2 pounds in two weeks. I am happy to see some movement on the scale! I am happy to see that @RubyRed427 has seen some downward movement too! Congrats!

@foodie4run - It looked like you had been logging in some miles the past few days. I am sorry that the scale has not moved for you this week, but I am glad that you recognize that a few of your dietary choices may have been the culprit. Maybe you will see a change today!

@mummiecakes - Hi! Your name makes me smile! I have been fighting weight issues for most of my adult life. I totally understand our best laid plans are sometimes hard to carry out due to the current situation. As I am in a high risk group for catching anything, let alone the Corona Virus, my husband does our grocery shopping from my grocery list. There have been several days where the store was just out and we had to substitute. The other week, the only lettuce available was in poor shape and we ended up making a family salad for dinner instead of it becoming my salad for the work week, which then made it easier to succumb to eating more carbs. I guess I need to have a few other low carb ideas for him to substitute for me when something is low or not in great shape.
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello again! I thought I posted this morning, but don't see it in the thread...that's what I get for trying to be on here while I should be working :-/. Forgive me if it's there somewhere and I am repeating!

@foodie4run Thanks for the add! I have found and added others. It is a crappy feeling when the scale doesn't do what we want it to, but it sounds like you are doing good things for your body anyway! I have long wanted to be a person who liked running and kept trying, but it's just not for me. I do admire those who can do it!

@sweetstevens way to go! Your work is paying off! My name was made up at a time when mothering and decorating cakes was most of my non-work time. I'm just now realizing how old my profile picture is on here. That sweet little blondie is 13 yrs old now...maybe time for an update!

@RubyRed427 Looks like your work is paying off too! Can't wait to be saying that myself :)

I feel like today was a bit of a crappy start, but turned around. I finally got up the nerve to weigh in after several weeks of letting WFH and work stress be my excuses for evening snacking and treats! I am up 3lbs! So, started out discouraged, but also determined to make my targets. I did a workout and entered it and have just completed my logging for the day and am 1 calorie under my goal! Small victories :)

I do have a question...how accurate do you find the exercise calorie counts on here? My workout this morning said that I had burned far more calories than I think I actually did.
  • wendyron3
    wendyron3 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @mummiecakes I have wondered the same thing about exercise calories. I know people say we should eat those calories but I rarely eat them. I’m afraid to I guess. If mvp says I should eat 1200 I try not to ever go over that. Most of the time I stay below. Does anyone have any thoughts about what is the best way to handle these extra calories for weight loss?
  • copernicus0001
    copernicus0001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello All...

It has been since last week Wednesday that I posted - much too long. A warm welcome to all the new people who joined this thread since I last posted (@ktdoraohara @Helenmarshall5636 @RubyRed427 @Sundaenia @rinaid @laughingdakini1 @mummiecakes). It is nice to see so much enthusiasm and positive commentary.

I hit a major milestone on Saturday - down 50 lbs!!! Unfortunately, work has kept me far too busy from early in the morning until late at night and this is the first time I have had to take a few moments to post. With my schedule, I have not had the time to commit to daily workout routines, so for now I plan to focus upon the modifications I have implemented in my eating paradigm and try to maintain the walking/jogging to reach my daily step goal. I did fulfill my goals for the day today.

@wendyron3 I would think you may lose weight a bit faster and more consistently if you did not consume the calories that you expend during exercise, but that is a decision you will need to make depending on how you are feeling and if you can do without consuming those additional calories. I always stay well within the caloric budget determined by MFP.

@mummiecakes Welcome and great moniker! I can't comment on the accuracy of the exercise calorie counts on MFP since I have not used them, but I am sure others may be able to provide some insight.

@sweetstevens Glad to see your progress! Keep up the good work!

@RubyRed427 Great to see your progress as well. Sounds like a good plan to lower the carbohydrates - elimination of the Gummy Bears (which sound really good about now) was a great idea. I am glad I don't have any around here either... they may have started calling my name from the pantry.

@foodie4run Egg roll in a bowl - it sounds and looks great. Thanks for sharing the link and idea. I will probably make it over the weekend. I have been eating primarily spinach salads (at least 50% of the time) with a cornucopia of different accouterments - hard boiled eggs, milled flax seed, carrots, cucumber, chicken breast slices, avocado, all kinds of berries, etc... This sounds like a delightful change.

@laughingdakini1 Welcome... I also do not have any "friends" yet... I have only been using the MFP forum feature for a few weeks now. I would be delighted to be your friend. i think there are substantial health benefits to a vegetarian diet - I have tried to steer my eating paradigm in that direction, but it requires a significant relearning of what to purchase when grocery shopping as well as learning new repertoire of dishes to prepare. Do you have any favorite recipes/dishes you could share. I need to expand my experience in this arena, but it is a slow process.

@healthytink It is great to see that you were able to deal with the stress and overcome the temptation of veering off track! Your actions are the recipe for success.

@PedmomJill I can relate to your situation - not always having the time for your workout. As a fellow Wisconsinite, hopefully you were able to get out and enjoy some of the beautiful weather we had over the weekend. I did spend some of my weekend outside (with a computer) getting work done instead of at a desk. It is nice to see that winter has lost its grip on Wisconsin and the warm weather is just around the corner. Only thing is that this summer will likely be far different than any of us have experienced in our lifetimes - a summer with some level of social isolation and a very different approach to summertime activities.

@rinaid Welcome. I have also experienced difficulty with just calorie restriction. What I have found to work well for me is the following: 1. When I eat: Intermittent fasting - I eat only in the evenings (5pm-9pm) or thereabouts. I eat one fairly complete meal and may find myself snacking a bit either before or afterwards. I try to eat healthy and also healthy snacks (carrots & hummus, celery, guacamole, etc). 2. What I eat: I try to loosely follow a keto type diet with many vegetables. 3. I am trying to make the change permanent. I do not have a thought in the back of my mind that I can go back to my old eating habits at some time in the future, for I know that those habits were not healthy in the long run. I find I am not usually hungry using this paradigm. One other thing I do - I have eliminated soda during the first half of my day (I would like to eventually eliminate it completely). I found my magic elixir to be coffee. I drink a cup or two of black coffee in the mornings - it quells any slight hunger I may experience in the morning or afternoon.

@Sundaenia Welcome - glad to see you have found this thread a great fit. Alberta, Canada - you definitely need to take advantage of the warm weather when you have it. You likely get less than we do here in Wisconsin. Great to have you here. I would be happy to be one of your accountability buddies. It is often that small nudge or redirection that can make the difference between staying the course and drifting off track.
  • loucr1980
    loucr1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I’ve added & started tracking my meals in MYF for the 100th time. Hoping this time will be different....

I’m from Glasgow, Scotland & turned 40 in Feb. I’m married with 2 kids & under normal circumstances enjoy going to the gym (it’s my me time) so really struggling just now. Finding exercising very difficult as I’m working full time from home, home schooling my oldest & being a constant playmate for my 3rd old while my husband is still out working.

I won’t be weighing myself but think I must be around 150 lbs. I’d like to lose at least 15 lbs.

I’m a comfort eater with a very sweet tooth. Hoping I can provide support to others as get some motivation from this thread.

I’d love to share diaries if anyone’s up for it.

Lou

• angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just found this group and would like to join! I will be 42 in July and am rapidly approaching 14stone (196lbs) which is the absolute heaviest I have ever been in my life. I am 5'5 tall and carry my weight mainly between my waist and my knees, feel disgusting and sluggish and even my 'big' stretchy clothes no longer fit. I am miserable and keen to turn this around! I would love to be 130-140lbs, but if I could even lose 10lbs right now that would be a great start and the motivation I need. I am interested in giving intermittent fasting a go, has anyone else on here tried it?
  • Mountainlove
    Mountainlove Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I found you guys yesterday...May I still join? I will be 46 (*gasp*) in June. I've been on MFP for quite some years (before Under Armour!) but haven't committed to it in a while. I lost some weight successfully 8 years ago with WW, but through their many changes have not been successful since and gained half of it back (~12 lbs). 2 years ago I lost 8 lbs on MFP - and then promptly gained it back when work started up and things got stressful (I teach at the university).

Anyway, this year I set a goal of running outside more, and in the last few weeks I've really hit that goal. When I was younger, I ran outside all the time and detested the treadmill. Since I've had kids, I've used the treadmill - it's just not the same. I started tracking food a bit more once I started running outside more and now see a downward trend again.

Now, I'm encouraged again. I'd love to lose 20lbs, but I'm not sure that's a healthy weight for me. I'm thinking 12-15lbs would be acceptable, too. 😀
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hey peeps! It's been a busy few days, sorry I haven't checked in. Yesterday work was a sh!tshow and I never even got my workout in. So today I'm doing two-80 Day Obsession booty at noon, and then cardio core after work. I don't want to fall behind with the group I'm in on Facebook so I have to do it.

@wendyron3 Welcome to the group. My sister is self-employed doing hair also, so I know it's been really hard. I got desperate enough this weekend to give my son a buzz cut lol. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a way to keep up the good habits once you start being busy again. I don't eat any of my exercise calories back. I just make sure I'm eating in my goal range.

@healthytink Sorry you had stress last Friday, hope things are better now. Good for you for not running to the junk food!

@sweetstevens I didn't post about taking my dog running. I do not enjoy running at all lol. I do walk my dogs pretty much every day though. :) Yay for being 2 pounds down!

@laughingdakini1 Welcome to the group! All you have to do is log in and post and you are in! LOL I've certainly experienced the rolling eyes at my dedication to losing weight and staying in shape. Mostly from very unhappy obese people, like my sister. She makes comments like "Oh, I'm sure YOU wouldn't eat this". I just try to ignore her and like you are doing now, get my motivation from like-minded people.

@mummiecakes I have also struggled with weight my entire adult life. I have been everywhere from 120 to 210! Almost a 100 pound difference, ugh. My issue is I do well at the losing part, but not the maintaining part. Like so many! I feel that this time I've lost the weight for good though; my life is different in that my job is "normal" hours now (instead of 60-70 a week) and my kids are grown and don't rely on my so much. I"m a BOD fan too! I joined last October and that's been a big part of my success. What workouts do you like? I'm on the second week of phase 2 of 80DO right now. I like it but man, Autumn talks and goofs around way too much. I don't know that I'd do it again. Joel is my favorite! As far as calorie counts on here, I don't think they're very accurate. I use a Fitbit and I don't think that's that accurate either. But for me, it gives me a general idea how I'm doing, and if I need to work harder.

@foodie4run Sorry you didn't see the scale drop, but I'm sure you know it's not always the number. :) Good job food prepping! I like to do that on the weekends sometimes, too. It's just me and my autistic son part-time, so I make full meals and freeze parts so i don't have to do it every weekend.

@RubyRed427 Snacks are the hardest. One good thing about living alone is it's much easier to control what comes into my house. My son's here half the time, but luckily is not picky, so I buy snacks for him that I don't like that much.

@copernicus0001 Congratulations on your milestone! That's awesome! I drove through Lake Geneva on Sunday and was shocked to see how many people were there! The main street (Hwy 50) was busy, and there were at least a hundred people hanging out by Bigfoot State Park and the beach. I don't get it. I thought that was against the shelter in place rules. I am so ready for warmer weather so I can start riding my bike. With our weather, I don't get to ride it every day and I hate that. It's either raining or too windy......so I appreciate the calm days.

@loucr1980 Welcome to the group from Scotland! Have you looked at any online workouts to get you through until your gym opens again? I know a lot of things are free right now online. Maybe one would work for you. I share your sweet tooth-sugar is my devil for sure.

@angelfish257 Welcome! I eat between 10am and 7pm most days. Technically it's IF, but I just don't like early breakfast and try not to eat at night too much. I don't think it's really made any difference in my weight loss, it's just a habit for me. But I know a lot of people swear by it.

@Mountainlove Welcome to the group! I am an ex-WW person too. In fact, my membership is paid through July, but I'm not using it at all since coming back to MFP a couple of weeks ago. I was nearing my (original) goal weight and though I might use MFP and stop paying, so I started putting my food in here. I was shocked at how few calories I was eating. No wonder I was tired all the time-I workout about 45-60 minutes almost every day and some days was only eating 800 calories. That really soured me on them. I am NOT about starvation at all. I'm glad you're encouraged by our little group here. :) Good job on getting back to exercise you love!

Okay, no more procrastinating. I think I'm caught up here so it's off to do 58 minutes of nothing but booty exercise. Ouch! Have a great day!
  • loucr1980
    loucr1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @PedmomJill thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope you had a better day today, those workouts sound tough!

Yep there’s tons I could do. & I have weights & a kettlebell so could use that. But I literally don’t have the time. I try to use the time I have when my kids are amusing themselves to work & when the go to bed I just want to chill.

So I’m trying to control my calories given the lack of exercise. It’s so hard though!

Hope everyone else is having a good day!
  • CrumbsInMyButter
    CrumbsInMyButter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @loucr1980 I am in the same boat with trying to juggle kids, work, keeping a house and trying to find time to workout. Because we only have one space that is quiet, my husband and I do shift work. I work from 5h30-13h30 and then he starts working until 20h. Meanwhile, we tag team taking care of the kids. By the time they are in bed at 20h, I am too tired to go for a walk, workout or track my calories.

@angelfish257 We are same weight and height. I hear lots of people lose weight with intermittent fasting. I, however, have not tried it.

@copernicus0001 Congrats on the weight lost! 50 lbs is amazing!

My sister in law is getting married this Sept and I would really like to be 20 lbs lighter.
    This a good group - I am sorry that I have not been as active. I try to forgive myself as things are crazy right now with COVID-19.

Good luck all and thank you for the motivation.

Cheers,

C
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been aggravated with myself. I can hire a personal trainer and do exactly what I'm told to the letter. On my own I'm a disaster... why do I do that? I have zero motivation and even less accountability. I'm banging my head on the wall ! Ideas?
  • wendyron3
    wendyron3 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @tiff0277 I can do the same thing to myself. I have been in a ten pound state of yo-yo for 2 years. Lately, before I get down on myself and eat my feelings I stop and take a breath to think about the positive results of what I do or will do. So, I work hard for a solid week and see no results on the scale, normally I would just say forget it and eat ice cream or whatever I get my hands on. Now I’m stopping to say wait don’t ruin your progress further by doing that. I guess taking the time to be present with your thoughts and emotions helps.
  • queenieck47
    queenieck47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’d love to join if I’m not too late? This seems to be a very positive group which is definitely what I need right now. A bit about me - I’ll be 40 in a month, I was a late starter with children, I’ve just had my second boy in January. I’m 5’11 and weigh 91kg (200lbs) which is almost 20kgs over what I was before I had my first boy!! I’m originally from England but now live in South Africa.