Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Just found this group and would like to join! I will be 42 in July and am rapidly approaching 14stone (196lbs) which is the absolute heaviest I have ever been in my life. I am 5'5 tall and carry my weight mainly between my waist and my knees, feel disgusting and sluggish and even my 'big' stretchy clothes no longer fit. I am miserable and keen to turn this around! I would love to be 130-140lbs, but if I could even lose 10lbs right now that would be a great start and the motivation I need. I am interested in giving intermittent fasting a go, has anyone else on here tried it?

I am similar to you- hold my weight in the same areas. My hips have been hurting and I know it has been because of weight gain these last few months. I like intermittent fasting in general; I think it is important not to graze all day and to give the digestive system a break. I hope to learn more about it too.
  • copernicus0001
    copernicus0001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy...

@CrumbsInMyButter Thank you for the compliment!

@loucr1980 Welcome to the group! I see you are in Scotland - a very beautiful part of the world with great golf courses! From a weight loss perspective, I think you will find that controlling intake will have a larger impact than exercise, however, exercise is very important in improving and maintaining health. Perhaps multitasking by taking the children to the park or for some other outdoor activity where all of you can benefit. I am unsure what your social distancing guidelines are in Glasgow, so it may not be practical right now. Hang in there - it is a difficult path, but worth it in the end. Your health and vitality is a wonderful gift for your your husband and children.

@angelfish257 Welcome! I surmise you are living in the UK - since you mention your weight in stone. I am doing intermittent fasting (IF) and have found it very effective and not too taxing. I eat one meal a day in the evening (6-8pm time frame). I am loosely using a keto type diet for eating - trying to minimize carbohydrates - while eating a diet more focused on vegetables. I set 5% carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 70% fat as my target macronutrient goals in MFP.

@tiff0277 Welcome... Perhaps it is the process that is motivational for you. I think that is probably why many of us are here. When you are assigned a task by a trainer, you create a feeling of responsibility to complete the assigned task. That desire not to let your trainer down is motivational to complete assigned tasks. When you are without that connection and attempting to be accountable to only yourself, it is much easier to neglect completing those tasks since it is harder to engender a responsibility to one's self. Utilize this thread, or partner with some people to help create that motivation to stay on track. This first step you took is a huge one, and has started you on your path to your goals. A task for you is to write back describing where you are now and where you want to be (your goals) in this path to becoming a healthier you.

@PedmomJill Thank you for the compliment! I did hear about all the boats in Lake Geneva on the news... It looked like it was the middle of the summer with no pandemic or shelter in place guidelines! I too am ready for warmer weather... I was in Chicago yesterday morning and when heading back in the early afternoon my vehicle indicated it was 71 degrees out! Too bad that warmth didn't quite make it up into Wisconsin, but the warm weather will be here soon. I too enjoy biking in the summer - do you ride on the road or off-road? Have you ever tried the John Muir bike trails (they are located between Milwaukee and Madison)? They are probably very muddy now with all the rain.

Back to work for me... I took longer than I expected, but it was a good diversion.

• mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @PedmomJill I've been using BOD for about three years (minus some breaks for low motivation or injury). I'm also a big Joel fan :) I tried 80DO, but the work with the loops irritated my lower back. I was sad about that as it seems to be a great program for results. I recently started 10 Rounds, but all the bouncing was also not great for my back. LIIFT4 is my go-to program. I picked it up following a long break and some physio therapy. I like that he gives great instruction and it moves at a pace that allows me to keep form. I've just started adding in some extra cardio and am hoping that will help with my calorie goals on MFP.

@tiff0277 and @wendyron3 I hear you both! I've had to work to consciously make a switch to being grateful for growing strength and slow progress (sometimes so slow that I can't see it!). I am healthy and will not help my situation when I reach for chocolate or treats to feel better!

Hope everyone is having a good day! Great to see everyone checking in!
  • kristan8515
    kristan8515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I've been on and off MFP and WW for many years and just started on MFP again 13 days ago. It was much easier to lose weight in my 20s! I would love to trade ideas, encouragement, low calorie meals, exercise plans, whatever and also weigh in daily or weekly. So here are my stats:
    Starting Weight on
    3/28- 160lbs
    4/4- 159
    4/11- It's not looking good but we'll see!

I have been running (okay jogging), doing Les Mills workouts- Body Pump, Body Combat and a HIIT one that I forgot the name of. I am sore every day! I have been tracking everything for 1,200 calories (I do eat my workout calories). I manually enter the workouts but I have noticed that my fitbit has been adjusting calories, but I ignore that because I don't know how that works with manually entering workouts and then having Fitbit? It is never a big adjustment anyway.

I would love any advice or just looking to see how everyone else is doing!

Hello 👋

I’d really like to join in too. I’m 40 this year and while I probably have 60lbs to use, I’d be chuffed if I can lose 28lb by September.

I also love Bodypump but must admit I’ve got an underactive thyroid and struggle massively with a lack of energy (clearly my weight doesn’t help either).

Lovely to meet you all x
  • aperfecttouch4474
    aperfecttouch4474 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome ladies I'm 43 yo 215 goal is 180ish.
    Glad to see other ladies in the same category!! 😌
    My problem is my keeping the weight off, after being on medication with side effects of weight gain. I've been on My Fitness for nearly a 9 months and lost nearly 10 to 12 pound and kept them off so far. My calories have been anywhere between 1200 to 1300 per day consistently now I need to add some sort of workout now that I'm home working and not moving around as much
  • Mountainlove
    Mountainlove Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @PedmomJill - it was a bit skewed, wasn't it?

Yesterday was the official end of the semester for me. The last students took their final in the morning and I was able to get everything graded. It's a huge relief. It's been incredibly stressful - but you can't tell your students that.

One thing I've been struggling with is eating enough protein. I'm a vegetarian but eat fish (but not huge amounts and can go weeks without fish). Legumes is where I go to get protein since I have to watch my dairy intake (genetically high cholesterol). Does anyone have some good ideas to increase protein intake?
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Happy May to all. Wonderful things happen in May, Mothers Day, flowers and gardens come to life here in Kentucky. One of my favorite months. My husband have hikes planned. I do hope I can ge out and enjoy my happy place.

@copernicus0001 Thank you I will work on goals.

• Mountainlove
    Options
    Happy May Day! @tiff0277 - May is one of my favorite months as well. This year, since we're sticking around all summer, I started some seeds inside. The first ones were chili peppers and serano peppers. Well, apparently, my green thumb is greener than I though - and I have over 20 chili pepper seedlings. 🤪 Not quite sure that we need all of those.

But I also planted some herbs and flowers. :) Since we're in the process of putting in a backyard (we've lived here 6 years and have been planning it 2 years), the flowers will be a welcome addition.
  • mummiecakes
    Options
    Happy may All! I'm checking in here as I finish my very brief lunch break...It's finally getting warmer here (Southern Ontario, Canada) and we are looking forward to being able to get out in some good weather this weekend!

@Mountainlove we are working on expanding our garden this year. Building some bigger boxes for raised beds and going to see if we can grow potatoes among our other usuals this year. I do love veggies right from the garden. I'm also excited to have my own rhubarb already coming up!

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well. It's been an interesting week. This morning I found out my finances were compromised, so I have spent most of today contacting people and closing accounts and re-opening new ones. What a pain!! These hackers are such losers!

@loucr1980 Have you gotten in any exercise since Tuesday?? :)

@tiff0277 Take it one day at a time! How about just do a workout ONE day and see how it goes? You don't have to exercise every single day to be healthy. :) I can't believe it's May already! Hiking is fun. I wish I could go more but like cycling alone, it can be intimidating hiking with just my dogs.

@queenieck47 Never to late to join in! How are things with the Covid-19 virus in South Africa?

@angelfish257 Welcome to the group! I do IF but not really strictly. I am not a breakfast eater, so waiting doesn't bother me. I tend to eat breakfast at 11am, lunch at 2:30pm, and dinner at 6:30pm. I mostly "say" I'm doing IF to help my mind be okay with not eating anything at night lol.

@copernicus0001 Most of my riding is on the street around my house. I like to go up and down the blocks and wave to people. I don't really feel safe riding alone on trails, you just never know who or what is lurking. When I do go on a trail, I have pepper spray strapped to my wrist. :)

@mummiecakes Liift4 is definitely my favorite BOD program, although I didn't have the best results. So far 80DO is the winner in that regard, but man, they are SO long! I try to workout at noon as a lunch break, but some days I just can't be gone 90 minutes for a workout and shower. I really liked the length of MM100, but again, not great results.

@kristan8515 I was quite heavy when I started with Beachbody. I just did the workouts that seemed to be easier and followed the modifier. It was a long time before I could keep up, but I just kept at it. I can do more now, but I still hate the jumpy stuff. And don't get me started on burpees lol. Glad to see you in the group!

@aperfecttouch4474 Welcome to the group! I'm so with you-I've probably lost 300 pounds in my adult life-50 pounds here and there and always gain it back. I'm really hopeful it sticks this time because I do have more time to devote to myself at this point in my life. We can do it!

@Mountainlove Yeah, WW has their own way of doing things for sure. I guess they are more successful if their clients aren't, sadly. I have a hard time getting all my protein in, too. I'm not a vegetarian but I am not a huge meat lover either. Peanut butter is one go-to, but the darn fat hurts as much as the protein helps. Spring is so nice. I have some landscaping to do and I think this weekend is finally going to be warm and dry enough to get started.

@worthit78 Hi there and welcome. Forgiving ourselves for our past mistakes is never easy, that's for sure. It sounds like you are on a great path now, so what better time to put your health needs front and center? :) Are you planning exercise?

As I mentioned, I've been sitting at my desk and on the phone all day, ugh. I missed my workout. I like getting away from my desk and really like getting the exercise done early. But my son will be at his dad's this weekend, so I'll have time after work. It's Leg day! :)
  • Sundaenia
    Sundaenia Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Happy may All! I'm checking in here as I finish my very brief lunch break...It's finally getting warmer here (Southern Ontario, Canada) and we are looking forward to being able to get out in some good weather this weekend!

@Mountainlove we are working on expanding our garden this year. Building some bigger boxes for raised beds and going to see if we can grow potatoes among our other usuals this year. I do love veggies right from the garden. I'm also excited to have my own rhubarb already coming up!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Omg I can practically taste the rhubarb jam already *wipes away drool*. We are just getting warmer here too (St. Albert Alberta), but may get some sleet this Sunday...cue the sad trombones.
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I have joined a challenge group for accountability I'm hoping that helps. Haha🤣🤣 May will be my turn around month!

@PedmomJill thank you one step at a time is all I can do at the moment. I'm sorry someone decided to make your day miserable. Good luck on the fix. We had that happen not to long ago and it was a pain.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day
  • RunsOnCoffee_
    RunsOnCoffee_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @mummiecakes That’s awesome! Your efforts are paying off, great feeling. Welcome new peeps. I hope everyone had a good week with tracking and exercise.

Work last week has been stressful and we had restaurant food donations delivered multiple times so it was hard not to eat something warm and fresh. I was watchful of portion sizes unlike before MFP I would eat 2 platefuls without blinking.

Today I ran 7 miles, I enjoyed the sunshine and nice weather. I prepped lunches again, kept it simple- grilled some vegetables and chicken thighs. For breakfast I made Morning Glory Muffins, whole-grain and loaded with carrots and apples. Combined with a hardboiled egg, it will be great on the go breakfast.

My goal next week is to fit in 2 strength workouts along with running. I skipped strength this week but need to get back to it.
  • BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    With two unexpected vet visits and one long, unexpected day at my mammogram appointment, my week was not stellar. I went over my calories two days and I am hoping that by being under on the other days it will even out and not disrupt what good thing I had going. While my walks were not as long as I had hoped this week, I forced myself to make time for me and get some walks in. I did not drink enough water this week. I am not going to make progress if I cannot stay consistent. I WILL focus on forcing more liquids and longer walks this week. I refuse to go backwards.

copernicus - congrats on your weight loss win!
    angelfish - I feel ya! You and I are close to stats and my weight is also mostly in the same areas. Welcome!
    kristan - Hi! It sounds like you have made some great progress! Keep up the work!
    aperfecttouch - Welcome! Congrats on your MFP achievements so far! I can understand how frustrating it can be when medical issues want to hold you back from your goal. I hope you continue to fight the mental battle and the good fight!
    worthit - You have had some major changes in your life. So happy that you are wanting to become as healthy as possible! I have had to work on basic walking and strengthening exercises to get started. When I am stuck in the house with "schooling at home", I have been doing some little exercises here and there. A couple of squats, calf raises, side bends, hip circles, things like that while I am stuck in one spot waiting on them to do their work. I think it has really helped me these past three weeks.
    PedmomJill, Sundaenia, tiff - I hope you have a great start to your week!
    mummiecakes - Congrats on a great start! I am so happy of your 2+ weight loss in a week. Exciting!
    Foodie4run - It sounds like you will be right on track with your healthy breakfasts and lunches all prepped. Good luck with your strength training work outs this week!
    Mountainlove - Hi! I wish I had some protein ideas for you. It must be hard balancing carbs and proteins as a vegetarian. I think of hummus, but I know there is an issue of carbs there...I will keep my ears open.
    New Members - Welcome and have a wonderful week!
  • BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    kristin8515 - Sorry, I read your post wrong! I have had an underactive thyroid for years and I totally get the fatigue that comes with it. On top of trying to take my medicine at the same time every day and by itself, my doctor has wanted me to start taking Vitamin D because my level was low and apparently it helps with the thyroid functioning. I will let you know if I feel any difference once I add this into my daily routine. I hope you have a good week!
  • Mountainlove
    Options
    Good morning!
    first, I hope everyone has a great week!
    I'm going to upload/input my grades for the semester in a little bit and then turn off my devices and ignore the students whine and beg (it's my least favorite thing of the semester). It has not been easy. On top of the lockdown, we had a tornado go through which affected some students (houses gone, no power, no internet). It was adding insult to injury. It's such a relief to be done.

I think I will go for a run after I do that. I'm still struggling with running - I'm still pretty slow, but it's going better. Yesterday, I got a sunburn - not something that I ever got when I was younger (I used to run in college and grad school, but switched to a treadmill once I had kids). Seriously, I don't ever remember getting burned - not even when I lived in CA! I'm on the lookout for some non-greasy sunscreen or light weight, long-sleeve shirts. Recommendations are welcome!

@sweetstevens and @Kristin8558 : I take Vitamin D-3 as a supplement. My levels were pretty low because I don't get out much (plus, I've had melanoma which doesn't mix well with the sun - so getting a sunburn for me (like I did yesterday) is not so awesome). I think it's helped - or at least I don't feel like I'm a slug anymore.

@mummiecakes : keep it up!!! way to go!

@worthit78 : you got this! Take it slow - one day at a time. But also, make sure you're doing it for yourself (above all else). Sounds like you found a good match.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    @mummicakes Yay for good weather! It was beautiful in Wisconsin this weekend, but now it's back to cold. :( But I'm so happy that I got a bike ride in! And woo hoo on your 2 pound loss! Are you in the medical field? Asking since you said your work had a lot of food donations.

@sweetstevens Sorry about the vet visits-I hope your pet is okay. And wishing good news on the mammo-I've had two scares in the last 5 years. Everything was negative, but it sure cost me a lot of money and worry. Good luck making time for yourself this week!

@Mountainlove Oh, you're a teacher-I'm sure this has been a really bad time of struggle for you. Great idea to turn off the electronics for some peace and quiet. Tornado.......are you in Tennessee? My work has several locations there and one of my friends shared a post of a tornado that went through Nashville where some construction guys got stuck on a roof. Scary stuff. I have found that the sunscreen you spray on is way less gready than the lotion; hope that helps. Speaking of running.......I might start doing a little bit of that with my German Shepherd. I think it would do her good, even though I've never enjoyed it lol.

I was so happy we had good weather this weekend, finally. I got an 8 mile bike ride in and even clipped in and was comfortable. I'm pretty surprised since I hadn't ridden my bike for almost two years. I'm hoping to get more riding in this year. One of the issues is it's super windy where I live-there is a lot of farm country surrounding me, and not many buildings to slow down the wind. I'm just going to have to suck it up and do the best I can in the wind.

So as usual, I missed my noon workout time today; it seems to happen every Monday. I just have too much email and mail to manage on Mondays. I will definitely get it done after work though. I don't want to fall behind. I was a day behind last week and it really bugged me. I'm in a Facebook group where we all started 80 Day Obsession together so it isn't as fun when I'm not on the same workout day. It's booty day again-a full hour of nothing but booty exercises!

• mummiecakes
    Options
    Happy Monday All! How is it that I can never get to this until the end of the day?

@PedmomJill I completely understand trying to plow through the volume of Monday messages and emails. The only way I get a workout in on Monday is to get up before anyone else in my household and get it in. I actually work in mental health at our local college, so am working from home, but due to some additional unexpected changes for our department that coincided with the transition to working from home, my job responsibilities changed and I am now managing our counselling team. It's been a steep learning curve over the past few weeks. I think it was @foodie4run who has been having to fight the temptations of yummy food deliveries at work. My heart and prayers go out to all health workers at this time. I can only imagine being a front line worker right now.

@foodie4run it sounds like you are off to a great start for the week...I love strength training...it's the cardio that I struggle with now! I'm trying to add some extra in on the days that I don't do weight workouts.

@sweetstevens I hope your health and your pet's health is okay! Great job reflecting on what didn't go as well as you would have liked last week and setting some goals for this week. You're right, we only progress if we work towards those...as long as they are reasonable! I hope you have a better week!

@Mountainlove it sounds like such a stressful time for you and the people in your area. Good plan to unplug. Having to try and supervise learning for my kids at home during all of this has made me a firm believer that teachers are super heroes! Thank you!!

We had a beautiful day yesterday and I wound up with a bit of a sunburn too. We did some gardening and had a picnic outside. It was lovely...and then grey and frigid this morning. Apparently there is a polar vortex headed our way :'(

Hope everyone has a great week!