Seitan - homemade

SeMGJ1986
SeMGJ1986 Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys! How do you calculate the nutritional values of homemade seitan?
I used 500g of strong white wheat flour (Manitoba) and for the broth: 1 carrot, 1 stem of celery, 1 clove of garlic, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 of mixed herbs, 1 of ginger, 6 of soya sauce, salt and half an onion. I uploaded the recipe in my meals but the values are too high!!! I have 200g of seitan (2 servings) and MFP says that 1 serving has 962cal, 179,4g carbs, 6,5g fats and 42g proteins..................
Any help?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    you likely have a bad food entry - can you take a picture of the ingredients and the calorie values (my guess is the garlic beause there is a 3000cal garlic entry)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited April 2020
    If you’ve used 500g of flour to produce 2 portions then the calorie count seems pretty much what I’d expect. Flour has around 800-900cals per 250g. Add your other, mostly vegetable ingredients and the 962 seems fairly realistic.

Although, having read your post again I don’t understand how 500g of flour plus an unknown weight of other ingredients could possibly have yielded a weight of only 200g of finished product? Where did the 300+ grams of flour go!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    The flour is about 1700 Cal and 500g.
    It doesn't evaporate with cooking.
    What happened?
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I don't understand all this ! I got only300g of gluten or seitan from 2 kg of plain flour. I wash and drain flour 5-6 times in cold water until only gluten or seitan left. You can check it out how Chinese do this on the net.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited April 2020
    The only Seitan recipes I’ve come across use Vital Wheat Gluten rather than standard flour.

I’ve not come across the idea of ‘washing flour’ to extract the gluten...but it would seem to me to be impossible to calculate calories accurately if you do it this way - also how uneconomical/unethical is it to be washing more than half of the ingredients down the sink!

Are the bits of gluten actually separate from the flour anyway in standard household flour? How can you tell when you’ve only got those left? Confused! 🤯🤔

I’ll stick to buying Vital Wheat Gluten - this method just stresses me out! 😂
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    edited April 2020
    OK. I admit to having no idea how it is made with flour... and that I vaguely recall making it once... and that's why I bought a pack of vital wheat gluten.

So, probably some flour would have to be thrown away if all you're doing is extracting the gluten. But, then, i guess you *are* stuck in terms of calculating calories because the flour DOES indeed evaporate <or the closest equivalent to that> in spite of my statement above that it doesn't!

So just grab a generic seitan (commercially produced seitan) entry... and go with that.