Apple Watch Move Ring / Steps & MFP - HELP!?

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Where is this function at?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Where is this function at?

That line that says Calorie Adjustment in Exercise Diary.
    For app you press and hold to get to new screen.
    For web account you click on it to see new screen.

That screen is what shows what the device actually sent, and when.
    Unless it's not synced, in which case it's steps and MFP estimate of it.
  • springlering62
    Options
    You mean here? It always says zero. That’s what I’d expect since the specific steps for exercise are already counted under exercise calories, and the remainder are accounted for under TDEE for “highly active”.

There wouldn’t be any reason for a further adjustment.

6q4ykp6a0qtf.jpeg
    2kfezjbcp4ri.png
  • heybales
    Options
    That was the screen.

The math that is normally shown there still takes into account all the things you mentioned - it just displays the figures. If the accounts are synced.

But that tells me MFP is merely using the watch for steps - it's not getting any calorie info from the Apple health at all.
    MFP would be calculating a rough calorie burn for those steps (as opposed to a device getting a distance from the steps, and calories from the distance).
    But since MFP doesn't know about potential overlap or not of those steps and workouts, it removes the extra "step" calories for each workout that shows up.

You can actually do the same thing with Fitbit and Garmin - don't sync accounts, merely say to use the device (even a phone) as a step counter.
    Same effect.

You may even be getting negative adjustments you don't see since disabled.
    Meaning MFP had an extra calorie burn, but the workouts removed enough and more to go negative there, since the workouts go positive.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    That was the screen.

The math that is normally shown there still takes into account all the things you mentioned - it just displays the figures. If the accounts are synced.

But that tells me MFP is merely using the watch for steps - it's not getting any calorie info from the Apple health at all.
    MFP would be calculating a rough calorie burn for those steps (as opposed to a device getting a distance from the steps, and calories from the distance).
    But since MFP doesn't know about potential overlap or not of those steps and workouts, it removes the extra "step" calories for each workout that shows up.

You can actually do the same thing with Fitbit and Garmin - don't sync accounts, merely say to use the device (even a phone) as a step counter.
    Same effect.

You may even be getting negative adjustments you don't see since disabled.
    Meaning MFP had an extra calorie burn, but the workouts removed enough and more to go negative there, since the workouts go positive.

Need to click one more time on that screen to get to the screen where the math is. That is what it shows when the adjustment amount is 0-even if info is being fed.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Well son of a gun. There IS a third screen. These devices are rabbit holes.

Now I’m utterly confused. I have no idea what anything is telling me anymore, however, I’m going to continue to do it my way, which has worked very well for me. I’m 90 pounds down and I’m still losing, will go into maintenance as soon as lockdown completely lifted and I can get back to normal.

I had just increased calories to 2300 to begin recomp, but lowered them to 1900 in March and made a goal to rotate my move ring 3x a day during all this. The weight has fallen off, so I may have been too brutal.

If anyone cares here’s the screen that goes with the post I made above.

w66f5cztewaf.png
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, your setup is allowing what normally doesn't work well to actually work well - in general and for you.

So this is the option to not link accounts - but just grab steps from the watch.
    (that line under full day projection on a linked account gives the TDEE value from the device account - "Based on 3286 calories burned as of 11:59 pm")
    (that is where on a linked Apple account it just reports it's own base sedentary calories, not actually the TDEE)

Your MFP estimated daily activity burn looks like it would be 2166. (base burn 2166+ known exercise 756 =2922)

MFP's estimate of daily burn with those steps in there is the 2665.

So normally with your selected activity level on MFP, and known workouts, MFP is expecting you'd have burned 2922.

But based on Steps and extra calories, minus calories from known workouts - you are getting to keep 27 of them, leading to a still estimated burn of 2665.

So really MFP thinks you burned 257 less than it was expecting anyway, based on your selected activity level and known workouts.

I'm curious on that day, in your Apple account - what did it show for the total calorie burn for the day?

And it had those same workouts in there, right?

And yes, not trying to fix anything, merely curious if it looks like MPF semi-corrected the issue with their iWatch app.