Garmin recording and calorie adjustments

Options
13»

Replies

• richiechowns
    richiechowns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So after a few weeks I'm still getting big adjustments coming late in the day.

I've set MFP to sedentary and maintenance cals as I do the desk job and want to recomp, I record 1 to 2 morning workouts which have a mix of Cardio and strength exercises.

I'm doing 10k plus steps most days, a lot will come from the exercise and then rest from a daily walk. As I was still getting the big adjustments I removed the custom stride and will redo it once I can get to an open running track and walk 800m at 2mph. Either way though, the big adjustments seem to come late in the day.

I'll continue to monitor it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Garmin is different than Fitbit in regard to estimating daily burn without the device syncing up current data.

Fitbit assumes by default a rate of burn barely above BMR, and as it goes up 100 cal more than prior sync, will send new data to MFP.
    That rate of burn results in neg adjustment since at minimum MFP is assuming BMR x 1.25 rate of burn.
    When Fitbit gets a a device sync, of course the value can really go up.
    But most with Fitbit's seem to sync all day long.

Garmin assumes no daily burn until device reports in. So nothing sent to MFP until that happens.
    And default device sync setting is for 1-2 times daily - so later in day anyway.
  • richiechowns
    richiechowns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Garmin is different than Fitbit in regard to estimating daily burn without the device syncing up current data.

Fitbit assumes by default a rate of burn barely above BMR, and as it goes up 100 cal more than prior sync, will send new data to MFP.
    That rate of burn results in neg adjustment since at minimum MFP is assuming BMR x 1.25 rate of burn.
    When Fitbit gets a a device sync, of course the value can really go up.
    But most with Fitbit's seem to sync all day long.

Garmin assumes no daily burn until device reports in. So nothing sent to MFP until that happens.
    And default device sync setting is for 1-2 times daily - so later in day anyway.

Thanks heybales, I think I am getting my head around it, but does make it difficult to plan for when you don't have a set routine.