I heard that eating clean makes you feel better...

Options
13»

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    **SIGH*** First, I love hot sauce. I have a particular kind that is my favorite. I use mustard. I did not say all processed food is bad. Some foods were made (engineered) for sports performance, health ailmints, fortification. There are tousands of foods. Im not here to label, pick whats what. I am not talking about anyone or anything that others feel What I am sharing is for ME, What makes me feel good. What helps me have great reports from the lab tests and how I sleep, my energy. What clean eating means to me is eating things that make me feel good.
    There are foods that do impact your health. There are foods that are relatively indiferent or even so enjoyable it makes it something great. Happiness is really what keeps us well.
    I will say this again. From MY experience, when I decided to swap certain choices my health and eight improved. I can eat 200 calories of cake or 200 calories of whole grain oats and keep my calories where my goal would be. Sure, some days that cake could be what I want. Its usually not. The oats would keep me full longer, they would sit in my stoamch better and I simply prefer them. Oats, by the way are a great example of "processed" food that has benefits.
    This whole question is asking when does eating "clean: make you feel better. I answered in the context of what my experience is. Period. The term "whole foods" I use to refer to vegetables, greens and foods from a garden or farm. I use protein powder because I like it, it helps complete certain needs and is convenient. I also love tempeh, tofu or edamame. Hemp tofu ( Tempt) by the way is awesome. Its hard to find, I g see t it from a local healthful store- market.
    There are usually underlying causes for not feeling good, that diet alone won't chhange- until you identify the reasons. Then food can be used many times to assist in helping and healing. Food has been used for thousands of years as medicine. In Chinese medicine, sugar is sometimes what is needed to cure. What matters is your body and what it needs.
    . .
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    the question was also asking "if it made you feel better" I just used myself as an example to share how much a diet of vegetables, plants and less processed over all did make me feel better.
    I can talk science if you want. Bottom line is - medically speaking- yes food that helps health is based on factual scientific evidence. It can make yo feel better.
    " Eating a double cheeseburger and fries from McDonalds 3-4 times a week will increase longevity in people who have high blood pressure and reduced symptoms of depression " said no Health and wellness professional ever. "Switching to a mediterranean diet has profound affect on diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease' -yup. "Children with seazures have showed theraputic improvement with a low sugar and higher fat diet." yup
    Bottom line, food matters.
    The question was asking when does changing the diet make you feel better. It takes time and if it has more than just a food related reason then that needs to be undrstood. Eating the wrong clean foods doesnt help either.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    AnnPT77 EXcellent answer, thank you.
    amusedmonkey- same So (basically) we are in agreement. My answer did not articulate the way It should have, my first answer was based on reactions from previous posts. It probably ws further fueled by the 3 on line courses for continuing educaton based on Clinical Integrated medicine, Science of Natural remedies and recent interventions.

In my profession I have daily doses of peole coming to me with thier interpretations which again are just like you are describing- some big new thing that is the latest psuedo science, marketing, etc. Unfortunately good intentions and enthusiasm leave a person in same place, stuck or totally an advocate. I am actually glad to read there are people in this group who do more than just count calories ( which do matter too...lol)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    AnnPT77 EXcellent answer, thank you.
    amusedmonkey- same So (basically) we are in agreement. My answer did not articulate the way It should have, my first answer was based on reactions from previous posts. It probably ws further fueled by the 3 on line courses for continuing educaton based on Clinical Integrated medicine, Science of Natural remedies and recent interventions.

In my profession I have daily doses of peole coming to me with thier interpretations which again are just like you are describing- some big new thing that is the latest psuedo science, marketing, etc. Unfortunately good intentions and enthusiasm leave a person in same place, stuck or totally an advocate. I am actually glad to read there are people in this group who do more than just count calories ( which do matter too...lol)

I totally agree with you. People are prone to swinging to extremes (in any direction). Attaching labels such as clean eating would only facilitate that. It also pushes people to think in terms of single foods, single macros, single ingredients, or even single meals. This makes things harder for them instead of looking at their diet as a whole and flexibly balancing it.

As an example, these are the macros of my breakfast today:
    a2ichdq9dj94.png

If you look at it without seeing the foods many will think it has to be a junk meal. If you get 50 clean eaters in a room and show them that screenshot you will hear at least one of the following:
    - My entire day's worth of carbs in one meal?
    - Look at all the sugar!
    - That's too much fat for one meal
    - How is it healthy to eat this much saturated fat?
    - You had TRANS FAT???

These are the foods that I had for this meal:
    dsubx561rqho.png

Depending on the person's definition of clean eating you will probably hear at least one of the following:
    - You eat full fat dairy?
    - You eat white bread?
    - Dairy is not good for you
    - Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable and those are not good for you
    - Feta has too much sodium

Here is the nutrition of this one meal, which makes up less than 1/5 of my daily calorie allowance:
    61al6ss1v4rt.png

Less than 1/5 of my calories and more than 1/3 of my nutrient needs. I'd say I can afford white bread. I can also meet my nutrient needs and afford chocolate or ice cream or whatever else people consider "bad". I don't have high blood pressure so I can afford sodium, not to mention that this is one meal. I'm perfectly capable of looking at it and thinking "maybe I should have less sodium for lunch and dinner".