FAIL = First Attempt In Learning

Options
mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
In the past 6 years I have failed at losing weight many, many times. I finally got to the point that I didn’t think I had it in me or that I had too many barriers to be successful with weight loss. I finally decided I needed to learn from my failed attempts. Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again this time more intelligently (Henry Ford). I need to improve my health. I need to be successful this time. Why did I fail in the past?
- crazy, restrictive diets
- Exercise expectations that didn’t work with my schedule
- Not fully committing
These are just a few of my reasons. If anyone feels like I did - ashamed for multiple failed attempts and discouraged let that go and use them as learning tools. Why did those attempts not work and how are you going to change it this time around?

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey OP.

I'm 37 and have been basically dieting my whole life. I was an overweight teenager, and I first remember trying my first diet at 17.

I was the typical yo-yo dieter. I'd lose 10kg (22lb)in 3 months, fall off the wagon and promptly put it all back on, and then some.
    In December 2016, I had 2 kids, and was 88.7kg (just shy of 200lb). And I'm 5'4".

On the 11th December 2016 a friend invited me to do a workout with them after work, and I was hooked! I made a new year's resolution to work out at least 4 days a week for a year. In late January I had a massive anxiety attack and finally got therapy for the anxiety I had felt my whole life but never recognised.

It was like a switch had been flipped.

Therapy changed my life, literally. I realised I was anxious all the time, and that I was a people pleaser, never putting myself first.

So I made new habits. Regular exercise became my norm. Not a huge amount, just 30 minutes a day. I stopped eating when I felt satisfied, even if there was food left 9n my plate (thats the people pleaser trail).

That year I lost 20kg (45lb). Which I have kept off for 2 years. I changed my goals as running took over from the fitness videos I was doing. I ran a Half marathon at the 3nd of 2018. 2019 I had a massive change where we moved down country in the middle of the year.

This year my goal is to lose the final 10kg. I'm taking my time to do this, probably till the end of the year. And I'm training for my first Marathon in July!

The biggest reason I failed is I wanted to lose weight NOW! I would go on extreme deficits, do well for 3 months but lose steam because it was way too restrictive. So my advice is remember weight loss is a marathon. It is so so much easier to lose slowly than fast. Allow yourself to take time. It is frustrating, yes, but you didn't gain the weight in 3 months, allow yourself time to lose it! Slowly, surely and permenantly is so so much better than fast and fail.

Take lots of pics, even now! You will regret it if you don't have them later. And start tracking your weight in a trending ap. You will learn so much more information about your body.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've tried several times over the years and always gained back. I know how it feels to fail. This time I want to know how it feels to finish ... and succeed!! With 100+ lbs to lose, I need all the help I can get. This time I've joined two groups. one in particular helps keep me on track and provides the cheerleading I need and don't get in real life. Check it out per links below --

FAT 2 FIT Registrations are OPEN!!!

Do you need additional accountability?
    Are you competitive?
    Do you like a team environment?

FAT 2 FIT is for you!!!! Four years strong! Fat 2 Fit has helped members lose over 10,000 LBS!

Feel Free to visit the Group Page and take a look around. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Want to join us??? Register for May!!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10793488/f2f-may-2020-registration/p1?new=1

What do you have to lose?
    WEIGHT!!! That is what!