Suggestions required by a Noobie.

Options
Hello everyone.
Im 20 years old, male, 68 kilograms and my height is between 5 ft 7 to 5 ft 8.
I'm hoping to loose weight since i have a lot of fat on my body, especially my butt and thighs. There is also noticeable fat on my belly.
I would love to loose weight and get a fit body and im prepared to work on it. I've already set my goals on MFP and saw that no matter what loss goal i set (1kg,0.75 kg or 0.5 kg) im suggested a calorie limit of 1500 Cals. I found this rather easy to maintain after trying it out for some days so today i have set my limit to 1200 after reading about it on this post.

I am not very active due to Quarantine and I'm usually on my bed or working on my computer. Also with Ramadan now, im fasting as well from dawn to dusk but due to the nature/amount of food we eat on iftaar (meal we eat when we end the fast), i don't think I'm loosing any extra calories in the fast.

I would like to know what exercises i can perform at home to help loose my weight quicker AND to get a body shape better than a potato :D . I don't have any tools at home and would prefer exercises that dont require tools. I was going to start HIIT but decided to consult the experts (You!) before i do anything.

Any suggestions about anything are appreciated!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak and welcome to the forums.

Have you calculated your body fat percentage? There are various ways to do it but without tools (or a scale that does this for you), try this calculator...

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Once you know this number, you have a quantifiable measurement to track beyond weight.

Not sure getting only 1,200 calories is a great idea for a young adult male, especially during Ramadan (even if you're sedentary).

I don't know what the climate is like in your area or whether the fast is easy for you or not. Are you able to ask for (more of) certain foods for breaking fast? I'm thinking higher protein and higher fat meals as the main. They will help keep you fuller, longer.

From there, carbs (usually in the form of refined/processed treats as well as raw vegetables and, yes, dates) may available in relative abundance if snacking during the night, or just before sun up, is required...and fit within your calorie intake needs.

Without tools, you may want to look into calisthenics and other bodyweight routines. There's LOTS of threads, with links and pictures, in this forum if you do a search!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Lowest calories for a male = 1500.

You are already at the mid range healthy weight for your height. (22 BMI)

You don't need to lose weight. However if you insist, set your Goals at "Lose 1/2 pound (1/4 kg) per week." It will give you somewhere around 2000 calories per day. Eat that amount, you are seriously under-eating if you are aiming for 1200.

I would suggest lifting heavy weights to create the body you want.

There will be others along to give you more suggestions. Please eat.

• cmriverside
    Options
    Here: This guy knows his stuff, he's a long time personal trainer. Yes, that's him in the avatar:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Bigchungus2k
    Bigchungus2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Have you calculated your body fat percentage? There are various ways to do it but without tools (or a scale that does this for you), try this calculator...

Once you know this number, you have a quantifiable measurement to track beyond weight.

Not sure getting only 1,200 calories is a great idea for a young adult male, especially during Ramadan (even if you're sedentary).

I don't know what the climate is like in your area or whether the fast is easy for you or not. Are you able to ask for (more of) certain foods for breaking fast? I'm thinking higher protein and higher fat meals as the main. They will help keep you fuller, longer.

From there, carbs (usually in the form of refined/processed treats as well as raw vegetables and, yes, dates) may available in relative abundance if snacking during the night, or just before sun up, is required...and fit within your calorie intake needs.

Without tools, you may want to look into calisthenics and other bodyweight routines. There's LOTS of threads, with links and pictures, in this forum if you do a search!

Thanks for comment! I estimated my body fat using the website you gave and it gave me 22% body fat estimate in the average range.
    u25df751m4uy.jpg

I understand now that i need to eat more and work on other stuff so i will eat better.
    I'm from Pakistan and uhh different forms of curry is what we usually eat(chicken or mutton or sometimes beef). However, in Ramadan when we break fast we generally eat fried foods like pakora, cutlets, samosa etc but from tomorrow I'll be switching back to breaking the fast with our usual meals so i don't eat too much fried stuff.

I hope curry is not unhealthy 😆

• Bigchungus2k
    Bigchungus2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You don't need to lose weight. However if you insist, set your Goals at "Lose 1/2 pound (1/4 kg) per week." It will give you somewhere around 2000 calories per day. Eat that amount, you are seriously under-eating if you are aiming for 1200.

I see so me weight is normal for my range. Thanks for that, I'll eat better.
    I just want to loose my hip fat and maybe get a jawline. My face is too round and chubby. I read every where that i can't loose fat from a specific place that is why i was trying to lose weight overall.

About the post you shared. I looked into it. But since you told me that my weight is in the normal range, should i just focus on getting a proper exercise routine?
  • cmriverside
    Options

I see so me weight is normal for my range. Thanks for that, I'll eat better.
    I just want to loose my hip fat and maybe get a jawline. My face is too round and chubby. I read every where that i can't loose fat from a specific place that is why i was trying to lose weight overall.

About the post you shared. I looked into it. But since you told me that my weight is in the normal range, should i just focus on getting a proper exercise routine?

Yes.

Look into beginner weight lifting programs...there are many. To change your body, that's the way!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Thanks for comment! I estimated my body fat using the website you gave and it gave me 22% body fat estimate in the average range.
    u25df751m4uy.jpg

I understand now that i need to eat more and work on other stuff so i will eat better.
    I'm from Pakistan and uhh different forms of curry is what we usually eat(chicken or mutton or sometimes beef). However, in Ramadan when we break fast we generally eat fried foods like pakora, cutlets, samosa etc but from tomorrow I'll be switching back to breaking the fast with our usual meals so i don't eat too much fried stuff.

I hope curry is not unhealthy 😆

Curry is not unhealthy. Really, no food is unhealthy. It is all about the context of your overall diet and how much you eat vs. how much you burn. All food has some nutritional value. Some foods more than others.