Pasta everyday

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don’t see a problem with you having it everyday. It’s not the healthiest of foods, but if you not going over your calorie target then it’s fine.

What exactly is "not the healthiest" about pasta?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don’t see a problem with you having it everyday. It’s not the healthiest of foods, but if you not going over your calorie target then it’s fine.

What's the problem with pasta?
  • mmapags
    Options
    Today's pasta w tuna and green olives.26h956c6swbn.jpg

Very nice! Elegantly simple and I love the the choice of Penne and the sprigs of Basil for garnish! You would not be packing your knives and would be moving on to the next challenge. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    356 caloriesnllohgmlsih5.jpg

Looks like a decent amount of protein too - how many grams?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Pasta With Anchovies, Garlic, Chiles and Kale was my go-to Kale Season pasta dish before I moved in with my OH, who ate it once and refuses to eat it again :lol:

12kalepasta-articleLarge.jpg

I added 2 oz tuna.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Very nice! Elegantly simple and I love the the choice of Penne and the sprigs of Basil for garnish! You would not be packing your knives and would be moving on to the next challenge. ;)

I would actually love to "pack my knives" and go. They won't let me.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Pasta is carbs at it's best. Most runners will carb up (for energy) the night before a race, and pasta is a favorite. I would also challenge anyone to come here, in Italy, and take a look at all these unhealthy Italians walking around. You'd be hard put to find an obese person on the street.

@snowflake954 how big are your portions? In general, do Italians have a more active lifestyle than Americans?

(I'm not taking the anti-pasta side, just hoping to provide context :) )
  • snowflake954
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Pasta is carbs at it's best. Most runners will carb up (for energy) the night before a race, and pasta is a favorite. I would also challenge anyone to come here, in Italy, and take a look at all these unhealthy Italians walking around. You'd be hard put to find an obese person on the street.

@snowflake954 how big are your portions? In general, do Italians have a more active lifestyle than Americans?

A normal portion of pasta here is 100g dry. Then you adjust that depending on what else you're eating and who you are. My 26 yr old son will eat 150g a day, while my husband and I rarely go over 70g. And yes, I would say Italians, as a people, are more active. They walk a lot and watch what they eat. They eat quality over quantity. However, a normal 100g plate of pasta is around 450-550 cal, especially if you're careful of what you put on it. It's the classical question on here "Are you weighing and measuring all those oils, ketchup, mayonaise, butter....." So if you eat a plate of pasta like the one I posted, and eat a piece of fruit you're good to go. Where people slip up are eating the pasta, some bread (double carbs), meat or fish, and a dessert. That's where you get 1000 cal or more which most of us can't sustain. I make protein and a vegetable for the evening meal, so our macros are on point.
  • mmapags
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I think people will find my pasta's dry too. Linguine cacio e pepe, aglio olio, carbonara. Lumache alla vodka.
    lpr1whq2xwcc.jpeg
    rpucwtdb3c3h.jpeg
    5r10v2js9y96.jpeg
    f2iamgffc8qi.jpeg

Acutally, it looks quite good! Not dry. Appropriately sauced. Not too much, not too little.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I would actually love to "pack my knives" and go. They won't let me.

:p
  • mmapags
    Options

A normal portion of pasta here is 100g dry. Then you adjust that depending on what else you're eating and who you are. My 26 yr old son will eat 150g a day, while my husband and I rarely go over 70g. And yes, I would say Italians, as a people, are more active. They walk a lot and watch what they eat. They eat quality over quantity. However, a normal 100g plate of pasta is around 450-550 cal, especially if you're careful of what you put on it. It's the classical question on here "Are you weighing and measuring all those oils, ketchup, mayonaise, butter....." So if you eat a plate of pasta like the one I posted, and eat a piece of fruit you're good to go. Where people slip up are eating the pasta, some bread (double carbs), meat or fish, and a dessert. That's where you get 1000 cal or more which most of us can't sustain. I make protein and a vegetable for the evening meal, so our macros are on point.

This phenomena is a very U.S. thing promoted by chains like Olive Garden. Why would you have 2 starches in a meal??
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I see this at work in my own household. My husband is "naturally" slender and he has pasta 4-5 nights a week. He'll have a reasonable serving with some protein, usually beginning with a first course of steamed or sauteed vegetables. He never has bread with his pasta and if he has a richer sauce, he'll skip dessert.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Queen of two starches in a meal right here lol
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I don't see olives...needs more olives... ;)
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    There's a restaurant down the street from me that makes fresh pasta every day. I never realized the huge difference from dried pasta until I had freshly made.

They are doing carry-out now, but my husband is trying to go gluten-free to help with his stomach problems, so...sigh...
  • snowflake954
    edited May 2020
    Options

Better?n0tfmtughmvp.jpg
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options

Better?n0tfmtughmvp.jpg

Better. Mmmmm....olives....