how to increase & bulk calf muscle?

I'm a very very hard gainer. it takes me about 2 or 3 times as long to get the results as a typical hard gainer would on the same workout/food routine. but, I can always get somewhere if I work hard enough, except for my calves. I feel like I look pretty normal everywhere but my calves always look like toothpicks (no exaggeration). even if I gained 100lbs, my calves would look the same. It makes my body look so strange and unbalanced. I never wear dresses or shorts for this reason.

calf raises don't really help me. what are the best exercises to do for building bulk on my calves? and how much/often should I do this?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    unfortunately calves are very much genetics and they are one of the slower muscles to grow
  • lola_1997
    lola_1997 Posts: 7 Member
    unfortunately calves are very much genetics and they are one of the slower muscles to grow

oh okay, so theres nothing I could do? im willing to try anything at this point.
  • deannalfisher
    dedicated calf workouts and know that it isn't going to be quick - not just plain calf raises - you can do weighed ones; for me - mine come from years of cycling and rowing etc
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2020
    While they are mostly genetic, you can probably help them out a bit. Think high frequency, high volume (so like 4x per week, 8-20 reps). If you feel like raises aren't working I would recommend a leg press but depending on where you are you may not have access unless you have one in your home gym. What about trying the raises with single leg? Seated vs standing? Calve presses? You want to make sure you are progressively overloading, eating in a calorie surplus, plenty of protein and lots and lots and lots of patience and consistency being sure to give them stimulation but some rest as well.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'd argue that calf muscles are not mostly genetics compared to any other muscle.

For a hypertrophic response one needs adequate stimulus, volume, calories, and protien with EAAs(leucine, isoleucine,valine).

I program seated and/or standing calf raises for the few people that have a goal such that of yours.

I would start there with special attention to the ingredients to your goal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'd argue that calf muscles are not mostly genetics compared to any other muscle.

For a hypertrophic response one needs adequate stimulus, volume, calories, and protien with EAAs(leucine, isoleucine,valine).

I program seated and/or standing calf raises for the few people that have a goal such that of yours.

I might be wrong but I think a lot of it has to do with insertion of the muscles which affects their appearance, so that is an aspect of the genetic component. Maybe not so much it's ability to grow. Ive always had huge muscular calves and I notice my daughter (6) does as well.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2020
    sardelsa wrote: »

I might be wrong but I think a lot of it has to do with insertion of the muscles which affects their appearance, so that is an aspect of the genetic component. Maybe not so much it's ability to grow. Ive always had huge muscular calves and I notice my daughter (6) does as well.

Yes, I am not referring to insertion points or the cross section of fast to slow twitch fibers. Strictly the ability to add mass to a muscle.

Most people other than body builders are not interested investing time towards calfs but it's certainly attainable.

My argument is that every muscle is mostly genetics. Not calfs more than other muscles. Perhaps I'm misreading what you are saying Idk.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    My wife has monster calves. They are huge and muscular and quite impressive. They would not be out of place on a top level pro on juice... every single one of her sisters has the same calves. Her brothers are literally the size of a bowling ball. I’d argue that genetics plays a huge factor. ;)
  • BAC716
    BAC716 Posts: 20 Member
    They are very much genetic! I was an athlete year round my whole life and have lifted weights for years and always had smaller calves. My sister was not an athlete, does not do much for working out (certainly not hypertrophy work) and her calves are twice the size of mine and shaped completely differently...

I'm definitely a "hard gainer" myself and have always had smaller calves. I've definitely put size on them but it's very little by very little. They tend to recover quickly though so keep the frequency high and really focus on a strong contraction and smooth tempo during your reps. Genetics are absolutely an obstacle but regardless, we can progress with what we have. Might just be less than someone more genetically gifted in that department.

I also have higher insertion points and very small muscle bellies. Gives them great definition and all but if they were longer my legs would certainly look bigger haha. Looks call with my biceps which are shaped the same way, not so much with my calves haha. I also have the wrists and ankles of a 10 year old girl :D
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    I have huge calves. It used to actually embarrass me tremendously as a kid. I had a Baseball coach say my legs looked like Popeye's arms (you know how his forearms are huge compared to his little upper arms). My brother even used the term "freakish".

I think it's part genetic, but I also think it's I had this bike growing up. It was a used one (and this was back in the early 70s). We didn't have a lot of money and I swear the thing had wooden tires. I rode that thing four or five miles a day. I was the youngest of six kids and my brothers and sisters couldn't peddle this bike. No one else in my family (or my kids) have similar shaped legs.

Thank goodness they look a lot more proportional and less "freakishly" large now. And my wife likes my legs, so I'm good with that.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2020
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    My wife has monster calves. They are huge and muscular and quite impressive. They would not be out of place on a top level pro on juice... every single one of her sisters has the same calves. Her brothers are literally the size of a bowling ball. I’d argue that genetics plays a huge factor. ;)

Once again genetics obviously play a role with what you start with in life.

My argument genetics don't stop you from achieving hypertrophy in a certain body part.

Plenty if evidence showing all muscles grow under the more optimal situation.

Personally I have huge arms and calves probably in top percentile for my age/weight. Yet I do nothing in my training focusing on development. Actually quite the opposite because I respond robustly to my programming and don't want growth at this time.

I'm certain I could develop my calves and arms much bigger(probably are) than my neck if I trained them just as the majority of natural bodybuilders.

How much did your wife's grow once she began training them? What means did she train them if you don't mind me asking?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @Chieflrg -- I do believe what you're saying. My son is a much better athlete that I was but has differently shaped legs altogether. He has strong calves but not huge ones. But you're right -- he has developed what he has well with all the sports over the years (he was a soccer player and wrestler and now practices MMA).
  • jseams1234

How much did your wife's grow once she began training them? What means did she train them if you don't mind me asking?

She's been training for hypertrophy/strength for about 4 years now. I don't think they have grown at all during that time - she would be horrified if they did as they are a bit of a "standout" as they are. lol

She runs the same program I do - a modified U/L split with three hypertrophy days and one power day. My program is upper body centric as I have a tore up knee. She does add in a few lower body leg routines that I don't do for this reason but there are no calf specific exercises. She doesn't do nor has ever done a calf raise. Her sisters don't work out at all and never have. My wife, prior to marrying me and getting sucked into my part of the gym did exclusively cardio. I was going to post a pic of her mutant calves but she'd castrate me if she found out. lol

I'm not saying that they can't grow at all - but that growth is fairly limited. There are more than a few reason for that and like mentioned above, insertions are going to be a factor. With high insertions there just isn't much muscle to work with and 90% of a calf is slow twitch and the calf has the least amount of androgen receptors in the entire body... which means even on juice they are going to be the slowest to respond. Lyle touches a bit upon the AR and genetic angle a bit here (https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves) but also does assert that it's partially because we don't train them properly. Studies are also showing that the soleus has an extremely poor protein synthesis response to training. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15450115 which is just going to compound how difficult it is to train them properly.
  • deannalfisher

She's been training for hypertrophy/strength for about 4 years now. I don't think they have grown at all during that time - she would be horrified if they did as they are a bit of a "standout" as they are. lol

She runs the same program I do - a modified U/L split with three hypertrophy days and one power day. My program is upper body centric as I have a tore up knee. She does add in a few lower body leg routines that I don't do for this reason but there are no calf specific exercises. She doesn't do nor has ever done a calf raise. Her sisters don't work out at all and never have. My wife, prior to marrying me and getting sucked into my part of the gym did exclusively cardio. I was going to post a pic of her mutant calves but she'd castrate me if she found out. lol

I'm not saying that they can't grow at all - but that growth is fairly limited. There are more than a few reason for that and like mentioned above, insertions are going to be a factor. With high insertions there just isn't much muscle to work with and 90% of a calf is slow twitch and the calf has the least amount of androgen receptors in the entire body... which means even on juice they are going to be the slowest to respond. Lyle touches a bit upon the AR and genetic angle a bit here (https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves) but also does assert that it's partially because we don't train them properly. Studies are also showing that the soleus has an extremely poor protein synthesis response to training. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15450115 which is just going to compound how difficult it is to train them properly.

lol mutant calves

i just call mine man calves...meaning i can't wear any of the uber cute compression sleeves for women because i'm capped out on sizes - i have to buy men's sized ones. That being said - mine are very genetic - i do minimal strength training - mostly cardio (swim, bike, run)
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    This is so funny, I was thinking the other day my calves have never felt so sore after hill sprints. Check out sprinters' legs, they are quite muscular. I would try those. Best of luck.
  • jseams1234

lol mutant calves

i just call mine man calves...meaning i can't wear any of the uber cute compression sleeves for women because i'm capped out on sizes - i have to buy men's sized ones. That being said - mine are very genetic - i do minimal strength training - mostly cardio (swim, bike, run)

Ok, got permission from my wife and took a pic this morning. This woman is incredibly strong and can squat and leg press more than me. lol

undxy7zuelfp.jpg
  • deannalfisher

lol mutant calves

Ok, got permission from my wife and took a pic this morning. This woman is incredibly strong and can squat and leg press more than me. lol

undxy7zuelfp.jpg

very similar to mine - i don't know if i have a photo readliy available
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2020

So your wife wouldn't be a very good example of the ability to train calve muscles specifically for the goal of a hypertrophy response since you believe they haven't grown and she basically avoids known methods of achieving the OP's goal.

Only that the wifey has genetically bigger calves(great flex btw ;)) to start with which is the opposite of both the OP's starting point and goal of training them for mass.

I agree with you they may be slower to respond compared to biceps or quads, but like you, science, & I all state...they can grow with the correct stimulus and volume. All muscles have their limits, but I think we both probably agree more than likely that the OP hasn't even come close to limits. Hypertrophy isn't a quick process for most people and just takes a recipe of proven ingredients to achieve.

• Chieflrg
    edited May 2020
    alexmose wrote: »
    This is so funny, I was thinking the other day my calves have never felt so sore after hill sprints. Check out sprinters' legs, they are quite muscular. I would try those. Best of luck.

Hill sprints repeats are great for calves as well as quads. I've used them in programming specifically for athletes competing in sports that require short explosive burst of energy with the legs.

I had a specific coach that trained me in the football off season that programmed these for me that I sorta engulfed these into specific training. Once I hit my thirties just before I retired, I started to stop responding to them robustly though.

Challenging training tool for sure.