how to increase & bulk calf muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that the appearance of every muscle in your body is based on your genetics. In that regard calves are no different. Likewise, how they respond to training is based on your genetics, and so is the response to training of every other muscle in your body. For some reason you often hear people singling out calves, as in this thread, and it can make it seem like they're different than other muscles in your body, which I don't believe they are.

As to training them, weighted calf raises, both seated and standing, making sure to let your heel sink below your toes, in a controlled, slow, manner, during the eccentric portion. Also, they do cross your knee joint so they will see some activation when contracting your knee, as during leg curls. It's a minor role for knee contraction as compared to the hamstrings, but it's something to keep in mind if you're considering adding something like leg curls to your program.
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What about jump ropes? I knowy calves are always sore after that. If you get bored with singles, try and learn how to double under if you haven't already.

Some rope workouts:

1000 single unders for time.

30 min EMOM, 30 double unders each round.

Hope this helps! Oh, and I've heard the genetics thing. I often thought my calves were small, but this year, they look more muscular. So maybe it's all the rope jumping.
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also think hill sprints are great.
    I've been doing those, too.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    NeahF wrote: »
    What about jump ropes? I knowy calves are always sore after that. If you get bored with singles, try and learn how to double under if you haven't already.

Some rope workouts:

1000 single unders for time.

30 min EMOM, 30 double unders each round.

Hope this helps! Oh, and I've heard the genetics thing. I often thought my calves were small, but this year, they look more muscular. So maybe it's all the rope jumping.

Jump Rope absolutely hits the abs. I've been jumping for the past 4 years. Significant changes.