Banking calories in advance

Hey folks,

Quick question my birthday is coming up on may 21st and I was wondering is it feasible to bank calories say a week in advance right up to the day so I can try an minimise damage I'm not sure how else to go about it?

Thanks

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Sure can. You may still see a scale spike but it should even out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited April 2020
    If you eat 200 less for 5 days before your birthday and 5 days after, that will give you 2000 calories extra to splurge on your birthday.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If this is your first time banking I would suggest you limit it to 100-150 calories per day.

Also, you do not really have to worry that much about one day of eating if it is rare. It is what you do the majority of time that matters.

As @MelanieCN77 says your bathroom scale will likely go up the next day but that is normal and not related to fat weight. In about 4-5 days it will typically return to where it was. I have noticed that when alcohol is involved it can sometimes take me a little longer.

If you get on the scale and it still scares you remember that some guy on the internet told you that he (me) banked calories almost every single week for 2 years and it never permanently negatively impacted his weight loss and he lost over 200 pounds. He also ate A LOT on his birthday without banked calories and still lost all that weight.

Happy Early Birthday.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,908 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If this is your first time banking I would suggest you limit it to 100-150 calories per day.

Also, you do not really have to worry that much about one day of eating if it is rare. It is what you do the majority of time that matters.

As @MelanieCN77 says your bathroom scale will likely go up the next day but that is normal and not related to fat weight. In about 4-5 days it will typically return to where it was. I have noticed that when alcohol is involved it can sometimes take me a little longer.

If you get on the scale and it still scares you remember that some guy on the internet told you that he (me) banked calories almost every single week for 2 years and it never permanently negatively impacted his weight loss and he lost over 200 pounds. He also ate A LOT on his birthday without banked calories and still lost all that weight.

Happy Early Birthday.

Sooooo endorsed. I've been maintaining for 4+ years now. I do calorie bank routinely, usually in the range Novus is talking, and balance out to maintenance over a week or so, with some higher days.

A few celebratory days a year, of which my birthday is one, I don't particularly even think about my calorie goal, I just celebrate and eat what I like. It might come to 2 or 3 times my daily maintenance calories all on one day (I've estimated/logged it, sometimes).

Next day, the scale is (predictably) up several pounds. If I go right back to my daily routine, over the next week or so, my weight drops right back to where it was, without any extraordinary intervention. It seems weird, but that's what's happened . . . over and over. As long as it's rare.

You might find this link kind of fun: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope

Your plan will work, and be less extreme than that. ;)

Happy birthday!